Spyder Garage

Default 2022 F3 - can I run QuadLocks USB into Y splitter without killing the battery?

Hello everyone! Question for the electrical impaired person here lol.

Can I run quad locks usb on/auto/off cable connected straight to the battery (using the auto selection) into a y splitter to charge a garmin zumo XT and power quad locks usb c wireless phone charger without killing my battery?

My thoughts is that it would save me the trouble of splicing in connection points on the accessory wires and potentially messing that up. It also would allow me to have a constant plug on the wireless charger by quad lock for my iPhone while allowing me to charge the garmin as well.

I also think the dual usb thing that people put in beside the key won’t work as if it rains I’d have to unplug and close the flap cover to prevent anything from shorting out.

Correct me if I’m wrong in my thinking please.

Thanks all!
    2022 F3 Base , Gloss Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zune View Post
    Hello everyone! Question for the electrical impaired person here lol.

Can I run quad locks usb on/auto/off cable connected straight to the battery (using the auto selection) into a y splitter to charge a garmin zumo XT and power quad locks usb c wireless phone charger without killing my battery?

My thoughts is that it would save me the trouble of splicing in connection points on the accessory wires and potentially messing that up. It also would allow me to have a constant plug on the wireless charger by quad lock for my iPhone while allowing me to charge the garmin as well.

I also think the dual usb thing that people put in beside the key won’t work as if it rains I’d have to unplug and close the flap cover to prevent anything from shorting out.

Correct me if I’m wrong in my thinking please.

Thanks all!
    I'm not familiar with the device you're talking about, but:
    1. The load will be the same whether you use a splitter or a splice
    2. Rain shouldn't be an issue unless the usb port is pointed upward
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Re: Battery drain. I suspect the wireless charger may have a very low constant drain when not riding. Why not tap the GPS (switched 12v) lead instead?
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Well I know when I had it on my Vulcan motorcycle before when the bike was off it would not charge my phone at all. I was thinking of going this route for more of a plug and play.

Spyder Garage

Yea, those dual usb things that install by the key are facing upwards. Plus I’d have to drill the hole bigger on the plastics which I’m not sure I want to do.

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Re: Battery drain. I suspect the wireless charger may have a very low constant drain when not riding. Why not tap the GPS (switched 12v) lead instead?
    They usually do unless you get one that can detect a load and shuts itself off while not in use. It's called a zero drain charger motopower sells some and there are a couple of other brands that have zero drain as well.

And what is nice is that my motopower is fused and plugs into the same connector that my battery maintainer uses.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

The quad lock has a fuse as well and I can plug a maintainer in it as well. But it’s one end usb. So I thought why not just use a y splitter and feed the phone and gps?