Spyder Garage

Default Georgia to Alaska - 2023

I just completed a ride from my home in Atlanta, Georgia to Alaska on my 2021 F3 Limited with two friends who purchased and rode Adventure bikes just for this trip.

Here are just a few highlights and trip stats...

* Left on June 19th and returned on July 28th... 10,400 miles in 40 days
    * Stayed in 33 different hotels... 3 nights in 1 and 2 nights in 3 others
    * Drove through 11 states, 2 Canadian Provence's (Alberta and British Columbia) and 1 Territory (Yukon). Drove through the capital on each in Canada.
    * Only had 2 days of any real rain and only one bad storm which was extremely lucky.
    * Crossed into Canada in Sweetgrass on the way up and drove the entire length of the Alaskan Highway (AlCan) 1.422 miles.
    * Spent a week in Alaska and returned via the Top of the World Highway and crossed back in Roosville.
    * Probably rode about 200 miles on dirt roads or gravel. Had to go much slower than the Adventure bikes but the spyder performed great.
    * Had 2 minor service issues with the Adventure Bikes. All 3 needed complete service and new tires sometime during the trip. In hindsight I should have started with all new tires to start with but found a great service shop in Whitehorse, Yukon to do the service and new tires. Roads are very rough in parts of Canada and Alaska so they eat through tires quickly.
    * We each carried Camping gear in case of emergency but never used it.
    * I carried 2 one gallon RotoPax gas cans, but never needed it. I took the passenger pegs off and made a bracket for the rotopax.
    * Also carried a Zoleo satellite messenger but thankfully never need that either.
    * Given how remote some of the areas were I would still carry all 3 emergency items if I did it again.
    * Carried a GoPro so have tons of video and pictures of the trip

This was a once in a lifetime trip for me given I am 71, but still plan on doing a lot of smaller trips.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

That's awesome!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thread.

We moved from Alaska to Arkansas after living there for over 20 years. We got to host a couple like yourself and one group that came up in around 2016 or so.

Alaska is a beautiful place and the trip can be very rewarding. Not for the feint of heart though.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Sure sounds like fun.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Congrats ... sounds like a great adventure.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Nice scenery up there. I did it twice, once up to Arctic Circle and other first to Yellowknife then up to Dawson City then over to Alaska. Yes, the roads in the Yukon are bad because of the frost heaves and road repairs.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That sounds like quite the adventure. Yes, I am jealous. One day I plan to do the cross country thing within the next 3 years. Father time is rolling and I need to get it in before it's too late.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I rode up to Alaska last year. Great trip and a wonderful experience. I want to go back sometime. One thing about the Spyder. I got mine serviced and new tires installed (not Kendas) before I left. I only had a small oil top off after about 4500 miles. Bike ran like a champ. Most other brands of bikes have to do oil changes, tire swaps, chain maintenance and other things to keep their bikes on the road for such a long trip. Not the Spyder!

Spyder Garage

I followed your trip last year which helped me prepare and convinced me the spyder could do it and do it well.
    2021 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I'd love to see more pictures of your trip! We probably stopped at or rode through many of the same places.

Spyder Garage

Totally Awesome. Hope to make a similiar trip. Hubby and I rode from Atlanta to Toronto on 7/1/2023. It was a great trip

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Scotts8826 View Post
    I rode up to Alaska last year. Great trip and a wonderful experience. I want to go back sometime. One thing about the Spyder. I got mine serviced and new tires installed (not Kendas) before I left. I only had a small oil top off after about 4500 miles. Bike ran like a champ. Most other brands of bikes have to do oil changes, tire swaps, chain maintenance and other things to keep their bikes on the road for such a long trip. Not the Spyder!
    Your trip and the post that you did each day really inspired me. I plan on doing the cross country thing very soon. I have a 2021 Chalk spyder as well, but I am torn between doing it on that or my BMW K1600B. I think there will be places where the 2 wheeler would be more fun, but at the same time, the safety factor of having 3 wheels means a lot. The fact that they both have 7 gallon gas tanks, but the spyder gets 200 miles per tank, compared to the 300 miles on the BMW could make a difference.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Sounds like an awesome trip...something I hope to do one day.