Spyder Garage

Default Ever taken the ferry between South Baymouth, Ontario, and Tobermory?

I'm thinking of taking the long way home next time I'm in Iowa, by going up into Canada, across the trans Canada highway, and then take the ferry south as I make my way back into Michigan heading to Missouri.

The ferry looks like a nice change of pace, but I've never taken a motorcycle or Spyder on a ferry.

Has anyone used that particular ferry? Looks like it runs 3x/day and it's a two hour trip. Anything I should watch out for?

Spyder Garage

Over the years, we've sailed the Chi-Cheemaun several times heading both east and west. These trips were not on two or three wheels but four wheels, a VW Westfalia camper. It's a wonderful excursion and I can't think of anything to be aware of except to enjoy it. Conscious travels to you!
    IMG_5515.jpg
    Last edited by VitoNam; 07-28-2023 at 10:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

Years ago I took a bike trip and put our bikes on the Bluenose out of Bar Harbor, it was a blast, they put us way in the front of the ferry where the ceiling height was low, handed us four ropes and told us to tie it to the ceiling, where there was a bunch of pad eyes welded to the beams above. they will probably put you up front but of course you will not have to rope it up! Have a good trip!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I was on the ferry from Nova Scotia to Bar Harbor Maine back in 1997. That was a very interesting ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Two2Three View Post
    I'm thinking of taking the long way home next time I'm in Iowa, by going up into Canada, across the trans Canada highway, and then take the ferry south as I make my way back into Michigan heading to Missouri.

The ferry looks like a nice change of pace, but I've never taken a motorcycle or Spyder on a ferry.

Has anyone used that particular ferry? Looks like it runs 3x/day and it's a two hour trip. Anything I should watch out for?
    Riding the Chi-Cheemaun

You'll love it. They quite often send you to the front of the line and will often put you up in the nose, especially if you are on a motorcycle. The last time we were on a ferry was to Newfoundland and they actually put us at the front of the line but we were parked beside a car. Note: Use you own tiedown straps. Theirs can be quite bulky and dirty. Have fun.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-29-2023 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ok, I'm missing something... what is "Chi-Cheemaun"? Is that a nickname for the ferry, or the lake, or what?

Spyder Garage

Chi-Cheemaun is a Ferry that sails on Lake Huron.

Spyder Garage

We've taken several ferries, all on two wheel motorcycles. I know that at least one required that you have your own tie down straps (to hook into the grating the bike sits on), or they wouldn't let you on the ferry. I'm not certain if they would require the same of a Spyder (even though it couldn't tip over like a motorcycle).

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It’s been 3 years since I was last on a ferry here in BC. That was on the vessel doing the “inside passage” going from Prince Rupert to Vancouver Island and there were no special requirements (tie downs) for 2 wheel or 3 wheel vehicles. They provided us with wheel chalks that we were “required” to use. I do understand though that 2 wheels get preferential treatment (1st on, 1st off) but apparently 3 wheelers AND sidecar bikes are now treated like a car. I don’t know if this is true, but I have been told that it is so. Hopefully some of the “Island Spyder Members” will chime in.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have not been on that particular ferry, but back in ‘20, we rode the Badger across Lake Michigan. I was on two wheels, she was on three. About 20 other bikes on the trip. They have a special area for bikes. All 2-wheelers had to be strapped to the wall and/or floor, the Spyder was fine with the parking brake set.

Check the ferry’s website to see if they have any suggestions or requirements.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

That sounds like a great ride! We frequently take the ferry from Mukilteo, WA to Whidbey Island, then ride North on the Island, then ride South on the mainland back to Camano Island.
    Did a little ride on San Juan Island a few weeks ago, if you catch the direct trip ferry, it's an hour from Anacortes, WA. If you catch the one that stops on Lopez island first, then it's 1.5 hours.

We did a 2 week stay on Vancouver Island about 10 years ago on 2 wheelers, parked down below to the left, on the side stand with a strap secured to the right side of the handlebar.