Spyder Garage

Default Anyone know the BUDS procedure for resetting GBPS?

I have a 2012 Spyder RT and BUDS. Can anyone give me a step by step procedure to reset my gearbox position sensor. I am having a problem following the steps outlined in BUDS

Spyder Garage

Go to Settings, ECM tab, ECM First Initialization, and click "reset". Follow ALL screen prompts after that.
    Last edited by Jetfixer; 08-15-2023 at 04:27 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    Go to Settings, ECM tab, ECM First Initialization, and click "reset". Follow ALL screen prompts after that.
    Thanks I finally got but the on screen directions were wrong, I need to jack the rear up and run it thought the gears by reviving it high enough to shift though them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ByronM View Post
    Thanks I finally got but the on screen directions were wrong, I need to jack the rear up and run it thought the gears by reviving it high enough to shift though them.
    This is the procedure outlined in the manual? That seems incredibly risky. Going to have to go check the service manual now to see. Hmmm....
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    This is the procedure outlined in the manual? That seems incredibly risky. Going to have to go check the service manual now to see. Hmmm....
    Yes. The procedure was written to be more detailed in later years. Once you reset the GBPS, you have to run it through the gears in order for the computer to re-learn the gear positions. Most times, if there is a GBPS issue, doing a reset doesn’t fix it, anyway. Just replace it. And a lot of folks have had the new sensor work just fine with the current learned positions and don’t have to reset it. But if you’re going to do it, safety first.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I was told to put the rear tire on a roller, where would you get one? Used a jack stand under the rear shock mount but it was a little scary running it up to about 50.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, the jack-stand method, as well as chocking or tying down the front wheels is actually the BRP specified method, as you are aware. That’s all that they’ll do at the dealer’s shop. Otherwise, you basically find a motor cycle dyno that will fit a reverse trike. Someone may have another idea for you, too. You still need to stay hooked up to BUDS, performing the reset, in order to stay in learning mode. Otherwise, you’ll go into limp mode because the front wheels aren’t turning and the rear one is. So, when you take all of this into consideration, that’s why folks just replace the thing first, and see if it will work. And everybody on here that I remember have had it work without a reset.

All you need to do is run the motor at high enough RPM to satisfy the upshift RPM permissive. If you can get to 5th gear and back down, and get the green lights, you're golden. Plus reverse. Don't forget to apply the brake and stop the wheel from turning, before you try to go to reverse or first.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 08-07-2023 at 04:17 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238