Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Tension - can it be changed?

I often wish the throttle had more tension. If I push or pull with my throttle hand to make a tight turn, it's difficult to do this without moving the throttle. It would seem that a stiffer twist on the throttle would make this much easier instead of relying excessively on my left hand to make the turns.

Spyder Garage

Throttle tension is a tricky thing. Too much and it's a real pain on long trips unless you have cruise control. Too little and it is touchy in situations as you describe. Motorcycles used to come with a thumb knob that would increase twist friction. But they were dangerous when tightened too much and the throttle did not automatically and quickly return to idle.

I don't know of any easy way to increase tension on a Spyder throttle. Though I've never tried. On the other hand, I do not have the issue you describe either.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I often wish the throttle had more tension. If I push or pull with my throttle hand to make a tight turn, it's difficult to do this without moving the throttle. It would seem that a stiffer twist on the throttle would make this much easier instead of relying excessively on my left hand to make the turns.
    It just takes time and miles to get that ability dialed in... Remember to hold the grips like you're holding some Twinkies and don't wanna crush em! ;-) I had a Ducati Monster S4RS that had a LASER throttle and really took some getting used to compared to any other bike and I had this trick I found early on with it. It was to move my hand as far to the outside of the grip as possible so your palm & pinky is actually on the bar end and use the rest of your hand to modulate the throttle, until you get more adept with it... Now go get em!!
    Last edited by hypurone; 07-25-2023 at 11:03 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

I have rode bikes since early 60's ... had a lot of bikes and makes of bikes , I now have my first Spyder RTS .. I can say the 2 things I had to learn on my Spyder was , there is NO Front Brake handle .. LOL ... and when your riding a Spyder you have to learn to Just Relax , and really Relax your arms . don't try to rode stiff arm . ride it like you drive your car . that was hard for me to do after riding for over 50 years and Grabbing the front brake everytime something happened quick , and I always rode both arms stiff . J.M.O.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I know how to make it LESS ... I doubt you will find a Stronger spring, it has a purpose built shape so finding one will be extremly difficult ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle grip.

I had a similar problem on my S2S. I had Grip Puppies on so used the old trick of inserting pencils or similar rods between the puppie and original grip to line up with the base of your fingers or any crease on your palm or both. This allows you to keep the throttle steady without actually gripping, just sort of locking the throttle to your hand position. Hope this helps.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    I had a similar problem on my S2S. I had Grip Puppies on so used the old trick of inserting pencils or similar rods between the puppie and original grip to line up with the base of your fingers or any crease on your palm or both. This allows you to keep the throttle steady without actually gripping, just sort of locking the throttle to your hand position. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that ..... however it has nothing to do with the OP's question about " throttle spring tension " ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably just leave the throttle tension alone for now.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You might be able to "unwind" the spring some to give it more force. See this thread of mine for pics of what the spring looks like. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hrottle+spring

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I have a 2021 RT and the throttle tension seems just about right. I've never had an issue with turning the bike and not being able to fully control the throttle at the same time. That said, with the arthritis in my hands I rely upon the cruise control feature a great deal. The cruise control on the Spyder does not seem as easy to manipulate as was the one on my Goldwing, but its still very doable. Turning it on and off is simple. Adding a mph or decreasing a mph sometimes takes more than one push on the cruise button. I've never even thought about throttle tension.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Thinking on turning these Spyders....

I find it better for me to push on the o/s bar more than pulling on the i/s bar. Say, 70/30.

That also, slightly pushed my head and body slightly to the inside of the turn. Make sense?

I went looking for an empty car park and spent some time doing turns.
    I noticed I did have to think about the throttle position during the turns and I found it easier using the 70/30 style.

I would also suggest you have the front tyre pressures set correctly as a slightly low pressure makes it sledge a bit.

I have had 52 yrs legal riding on 2 wheels now, and I had to go back to school with my F3.

Just thought I would throw it out there.
    Thinking further I guess it will rotate correctly and return to the closed position by itself and there is no binding.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 08-12-2023 at 02:58 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd