Spyder Garage

Default Throttle 'binding' after Grip Puppy installation - any fixes/ideas?

Hi everyone... I'm new to Spyders and just bought mine a month ago, having traded in my motorbike for it. I decided to give up 2 wheels while I was still ahead.
    I've always put 'Grip Puppies' on my bikes for comfort and have just done this to the Spyder. I removed the bar end to ease the Grip Puppy over the throttle grip flange and with some lubricant (hand sanitiser) it went on without any problem. Under the bar end is a spring and a spacer/collet the spring fits over. When I re-assembled the bar end I found that the throttle did not completely return. It looks like the spring is causing the throttle to bind and not return. When I leave the spring out there is no problem. I have removed and assembled the unit multiple times and cannot see what is causing the problem. Any ideas. Does anyone have a schematic of the throttle assembly?
    Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Could you provide a picture please.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart1234 View Post
    Hi everyone... I'm new to Spyders and just bought mine a month ago, having traded in my motorbike for it. I decided to give up 2 wheels while I was still ahead.
    I've always put 'Grip Puppies' on my bikes for comfort and have just done this to the Spyder. I removed the bar end to ease the Grip Puppy over the throttle grip flange and with some lubricant (hand sanitiser) it went on without any problem. Under the bar end is a spring and a spacer/collet the spring fits over. When I re-assembled the bar end I found that the throttle did not completely return. It looks like the spring is causing the throttle to bind and not return. When I leave the spring out there is no problem. I have removed and assembled the unit multiple times and cannot see what is causing the problem. Any ideas. Does anyone have a schematic of the throttle assembly?
    Thanks for the help.
    well there's your answer .... leave that spring out ..... years ago I removed mine from my 14 RT , to ease wrist fatigue .... that did the trick ...... But over-tightening the end bolt can cause what you are experiencing ..... Try this ( it worked for me ) remove end bolt ... put some household glue on the threads, and re-place bolt ... if the Internal return spring doesn't return the throttle to IDLE loosen the bolt ... UNTIL: it does ... them let the Spyder sit over-nite to let the glue set-up .... the glue won't be as strong as say " blue lok-tite " but that's ok , it will keep the bolt from loosening .... goodluck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the help.
    well there's your answer .... leave that spring out ..... years ago I removed mine from my 14 RT , to ease wrist fatigue .... that did the trick ...... But over-tightening the end bolt can cause what you are experiencing ..... Try this ( it worked for me ) remove end bolt ... put some household glue on the threads, and re-place bolt ... if the Internal return spring doesn't return the throttle to IDLE loosen the bolt ... UNTIL: it does ... them let the Spyder sit over-nite to let the glue set-up .... the glue won't be as strong as say " blue lok-tite " but that's ok , it will keep the bolt from loosening .... goodluck ... Mike .... PS it would help-ful to you , if you told us what Spyder you have .....

Spyder Garage

Fingernail polish also makes a very good removeable form of thread lock, but it does require a few hours to set up.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestions. My new Spyder is a RT LTD SE 22 (Sea to Sky). I've added three photos of the grip end below. It seems like, as some have suggested, that compressing the spring is what causes the binding. Loosening the bar end bolt helps a little but doesn't solve it completely. I'm wondering, if perhaps, the tang on the end of the spring is not engaging properly in the hole inside the assembly and this is causing the problem.
    Prior to putting the Grip Puppy on there was no problem so something must have changed.
    I've left the spring out in the interim.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Those end caps are different between the right and left sides, on the back where they mate to the bar. Did you happen to have them both removed at the same time and got them switched?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-25-2023 at 06:32 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestions. My new Spyder is a RT LTD SE 22 (Sea to Sky). I've added three photos of the grip end below. It seems like, as some have suggested, that compressing the spring is what causes the binding. Loosening the bar end bolt helps a little but doesn't solve it completely. I'm wondering, if perhaps, the tang on the end of the spring is not engaging properly in the hole inside the assembly and this is causing the problem.
    Prior to putting the Grip Puppy on there was no problem so something must have changed.
    I've left the spring out in the interim.
    Thanks again for the suggestions.
    I ONLY removed the outside Spring (as shown in your pics) ...... there must be another one in this system because my throttle still returns to Idle after I let it go ..... it's just not as strong as before ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-25-2023 at 09:17 AM. Reason: ler ... ;-)

Spyder Garage

That spring has to fit in a hole in the grip, then you have to align the notch in the end of the bar and the notch in the spring slider deal and shove the spring down into the handle, then put your end cap on.
    HTH
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Spyder Garage

Put the Grip Puppies on my F3-S without removing the end caps. Just leave them in the sun when it is 100 degrees outside and they
    will flex / expand enough to slip them right on. I just used some liquid dish soap. It will dry and they won't slip off.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Is that spring assembly suppose to be preloaded before it is locked into that notch?
    2012 RTL , Pearl