Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are the Ultimate seats a good buy?

Hi Folks,

I am riding a 2018 RTL. Thinking of a few upgrades. I have already added a new sway bar, luggage rack, highway pedals. I thinking of an Ultimate seat for added long distance comfort and to give my co-rider a little higher position and more room, thinking of the heated version. Any thoughts? Anyone made the change and then regretted spending the money? I do local 2-3 hour rides, but we have also done 3-4 day rides.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

You may know this but there is a un-heated one for sale in the for-sale section at a reasonable price to boot.

Never mind, I just saw where someone stated that they wanted it.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-19-2023 at 07:50 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you checked out these guys? They seem to be very popular in the seat building world. A number SL's have these seats.

https://day-long.com/ or http://laamseats.com/

Spyder Garage

Seats, windshields, handlebars, etc. are a very personal item and only YOU will know if an item has value for you. An AirHawk seat cushion works great for me on all my bikes, but others have no luck with them. Personally I will never pay as much for a motorcycle seat as I would for a living room sofa.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Thery are a great buy if you find them comfortable - but that is a little like asking if a Cam Am is a good buy. The answer is yes - for some people. I liked the Sea to Sky, but not the color. So, I ended up buying a 21 RT-L and added the heated comfort seat and bar risers and a bunch of other stuff. I liked the Comfort seat better - so did my wife. But I still felt cramped. I came from a BMW R1200 GS Adventure - a tall bike with a lot of "leg room". I'm taller (6'2") with long legs and the Can Am just seemed a bit cramped. I added a Wild-Ass seat cushion which brought me up a bit, then a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover - which I love which added a little more height.
    20230511_135214.jpg
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryBlevins View Post
    Hi Folks,

I am riding a 2018 RTL. Thinking of a few upgrades. I have already added a new sway bar, luggage rack, highway pedals. I thinking of an Ultimate seat for added long distance comfort and to give my co-rider a little higher position and more room, thinking of the heated version. Any thoughts? Anyone made the change and then regretted spending the money? I do local 2-3 hour rides, but we have also done 3-4 day rides.

Thanks
    I have never seen a bad review or a purchase regret on the site concerning ultimate seats. They are on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I had not seen this brand before.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, I have been lurking on this site for a couple of years, and have posted a few comments. Like you I have not seen any bad reviews of the ultimate seat, but it is pricey. My spyder only has 32K miles on it so I guess I will be keeping it for a while. I have finally retired, so I am prepping for some of those long, rambling rides I was dreaming about when I bought it. Hopefully the heated seat option will encourage my spouse to ride a little more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Have you checked out these guys? They seem to be very popular in the seat building world. A number SL's have these seats.

https://day-long.com/ or http://laamseats.com/
    i sure like the color on the link to the left ... beautiful ...
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have never seen a bad review or a purchase regret on the site concerning ultimate seats. They are on the pricey side, but you get what you pay for.
    I traded for my 2011 RTS 2 years ago, it had an Ultimate Seat on it, and the owner gave me the stock seat in the Ultimate Seat Box ... my son has a 2011 RTS same as mine, his seat was worn pretty bad. I gave him my stock seat. I really like my Ultimate Seat, very comfortable, I never bought it, but I got the paperwork from when it was bought; it was about $700, and the dealership charged the owner another $300 labor to install the seat ... so about $1,000 all and all. For me that's a lot of money for a motor-cycle seat, but I do really like mine.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-27-2023 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Removed extraneous/confusing spaces... ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A decade ago, I purchased an Ultimate seat for my Honda 1300 VTX, and as it has been noted, it was pricey. When it arrived, I anxiously installed it and took it for a ride. What a waste of a bunch of money (don’t remember how much). It looked pretty on the bike, but didn’t do anything for me. That’s the LAST m/c seat that I will purchase basically “sight unseen”. just my experience....it’s your money, your bike and your tush!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

The hard thing about asking someone if a certain seat would be good for you is everyone's butt is different, and only you can make the decision whether it's right or not for you. Me, I am on my second seat, and I am going in a different direction. going to try a air hawk, and a sheepskin cover!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:15 PM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The hard thing about asking someone if a certain seat would be good for you is everyone's butt is different, and only you can make the decision whether it's right or not for you. Me, I am on my second seat, and I am going in a different direction. going to try a air hawk, and a sheepskin cover!
    That’s the combination that I’m using. For me, it’s not perfect but is a lot better than just the bare bones seat.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I also use the Misty Mountain sheepskin cover with the air hawk seat cover on top ..
    I find it very comfortable for me .
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

That is what I use, I like it.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    i sure like the color on the link to the left ... beautiful ...
    Yessiree, that caught my eye also.

Spyder Garage

I've had a Ultimate Tall boy seat with backrest on my 2017 for 6 yrs and love it, very comfortable I bought it at Americade and they (at the time) had a 7 day ride and return if not happy policy if not satisfied, and it has a fuel door on it so I don't have to lift the seat to fuel up

Spyder Garage

So I am going to jump in and say I bought a used Ultimate King for my 2012 Goldwing in 2018, I know they don't offer anything like that for the Spyder.
    But, I rode with that seat until Sept 23 when I traded the Wing in for a New Spyder RT
    But it was far better than the factory seat on my Wing. I probably put 30,000 miles on that seat before I traded in the bike.
    Time will tell if I can tolerate the seat on my RT or will I be upgrading to something else.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Most manufacturers seem to cut costs on the stock seat to keep bike prices down. The stock seats are fine for short rides but torture for me on trips of hundreds of miles/day for a week or more. My wife will only ride on a Russel Day Long seat now. Our first was on a 2003 Suzuki LC1500, we did 50,000 miles on that bike in four years, and never a complaint on comfort. Expensive ? Yes, but spending days on the bike mile after mile never uncomfortable or sore ? Priceless. I've had several of their seats over the years and never been disappointed or sorry. The secret to the RDL is the wide seating area and internal spring suspension. More square inches of support = more comfort and less soreness. The qualifier for me is, how long will I keep this bike, how many years to spread the cost over, and will I be on the bike 8 or more hours a day for multiple days in a row. If yes, then it's worth the cost. My Royal Enfield 650 Interceptor was never going to be a touring bike, I bought their cheap touring seat for $100 for slight improvement. If I'm headed for week or longer trips, an aftermarket seat is worth it. Some guys pay hundreds or more for an exhaust that basically makes more noise and some illusion of a couple horsepower. Every minute I'm on my bike I appreciate the comfortable seat. My last I went with their "sunbrella" fabric, warmer in our chilly winters and cooler in the hot summer sun.

20191111_150345.jpg

Spyder Garage

I currently have an Ultimate seat on my 2018 Goldwing. I plan on getting one for my new 2023 RT-L
    They are in the same price range as other aftermarket seats (ie. Corbin, Hartco, Russell etc.)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Drwerner View Post
    Thery are a great buy if you find them comfortable - but that is a little like asking if a Cam Am is a good buy. The answer is yes - for some people. I liked the Sea to Sky, but not the color. So, I ended up buying a 21 RT-L and added the heated comfort seat and bar risers and a bunch of other stuff. I liked the Comfort seat better - so did my wife. But I still felt cramped. I came from a BMW R1200 GS Adventure - a tall bike with a lot of "leg room". I'm taller (6'2") with long legs and the Can Am just seemed a bit cramped. I added a Wild-Ass seat cushion which brought me up a bit, then a Misty Mountain Sheepskin seat cover - which I love which added a little more height.
    20230511_135214.jpg
    Curious about your use of wild-ass seat cushion on top of a heated comfort seat. The heat from the comfort seat probably doesn't transfer through the wild-ass seat right? Or does it, enough to help you in cold weather? Perhaps the heat transfers through better with just the misty mountain sheepskin cover sitting on top of the heated comfort seat?

I'm looking for a way to increase my comfort. I will be receiving my new Spyder RTL next week with its stock heated seat (not the comfort seat offered with S2S).
    Last edited by rational; 01-21-2024 at 03:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The hard thing about asking someone if a certain seat would be good for you is that everyone's butt is different, and only you can make the decision whether it's right or not for you. Me, I am on my second seat, and I am going in a different direction. going to try an air hawk, and a sheepskin cover!
    I have a 2020 RTL with stock heated seat. I have an Air Hawk and sheepskin on mine. Bottom-line: My butt still hurts after about 2-3 hours. I’m 6’2” and have no butt. I adjust the Air Hawk all the time hoping to find the sweet spot…and the sweet spot for me is elusive. Not sure what I need at this point.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefburg View Post
    I have a 2020 RTL with stock heated seat. I have an Air Hawk and sheepskin on mine. Bottom-line: My butt still hurts after about 2-3 hours. I’m 6’2” and have no butt. I adjust the Air Hawk all the time hoping to find the sweet spot…and the sweet spot for me is elusive. Not sure what I need at this point.
    The key is VERY LITTLE air. Almost none at all.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-21-2024 at 10:18 PM.

Dean Secord AKA seaweed
    Veteran: U.S. Air Force
    2015 RT-S SE6

My Mods:
    TricLed Turn Signal, Squared Away Sept, 2016,SpyderPops Bump Skid, SpyderPops Missing Rock Guard, ION camera, Show Chrome Back Rest,
    Show Chrome Hitch. Leesure-lite trailer, Hopnel 850 Saddlebag Liners, Hopnel 3 piece lid netset - trunk and saddlebags
    Magic Brake Strobe/Flasher, DIY LED light strips on upper and lower A frames, BlueKnight911 Magic Mirrors,
    DIY superior grill, USB port, Hwy pegs, DIY Flag mounts for USA and US Air Force flags,
    Method to open Frunk and seat without using key, LED headlights and LED fog lights, turn signal switch safety mod

Spyder Garage

with in days of getting my 2012 RTL I realized the seat was only good for me for about 2-3 hours. I contacted motorcycledave.com one of the sponsors here. He makes a gel cushion that you can add to your stock seat, which transforms it into a custom seat. It is not a hard installation, but you can always have an upholsterer do it for you. I did mine and it wasn't that hard. It did turn a 2-hour seat into an all-day seat, and I was very happy with it until the seat cover fell apart from age and use. I looked for a replacement seat to no avail. So, I bought a new seat from Mark Hart at Hartco International. He has been building seats since the early 70's. You give him your dimensions and what you want in a seat, and he builds it on a new platform that is stronger than the original. I find mine to be very comfortable, but for the $120.00 in parts and tools I would go with motorcycledave.com first.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-22-2024 at 04:38 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

A Day Long is simply the best, and not just an opinion. Just had one made in leather on my 21 RTL, currently own 3 other bikes with a Russell. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for! IMG_5622.jpg
    2021 RT LT