Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Need to tap into Reversing Light in '17 RTL Wiring - ideas where?

I need to tap into the reversing light circuit for my trailer Bypass relay and tried to locate the reversing light circuit in the schematic. I can locate the reverse button but nothing else (Position N8 on the schematic). Am I having a boy look or is it genuinely not included in the schematic?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    I need to tap into the reversing light circuit for my trailer Bypass relay and tried to locate the reversing light circuit in the schematic. I can locate the reverse button but nothing else (Position N8 on the schematic). Am I having a boy look or is it genuinely not included in the schematic?
    Hmmm. The "reversing light"? Would that be what we Yanks call the backup light? - the one that is located inside of the tail light assembly? ( I think that you guys have the same tail light assembly that we do, and not the Japanese one) If so, then it is shown on the schematic as one of the elements inside of the integrated tail light assembly figure. The red, LED array is the combination Tail/Brake light. The two other elements are flasher and backup light. I think the 2017 unit still uses light bulbs for those, so they would be shown as a bulb. The flasher bulb would be shown connected to the front flasher, so the backup light is the other one. Fed from the cluster.

Sorry if you are referring to something else entirely.

Wonder what time it is there?
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-17-2023 at 08:06 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Snowbelt Spyder,

Yes you've picked it. The 622 trailer has an identical light and the only one that isnt connected is the reversing/backup lamps

Its now 6:00pm Wednesday here and you are 18hrs behind so I imagine it midnight Tue/Wed if you're in Idaho.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where did you make the RT-L connections for the other trailer lights? Are you using an isolator or adapter of any type? Basically the needed connections should be centralized in a pair of 10-pin connectors on the left side above the side case. Bodywork removal required.

This should be helpful https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607949
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Where did you make the RT-L connections for the other trailer lights? Are you using an isolator or adapter of any type? Basically, the needed connections should be centralized in a pair of 10-pin connectors on the left side above the side case. Bodywork removal is required.

This should be helpful https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607949
    The wiring harness that came with my BRP kit has a 7-way bypass relay with only 4 connected/available. I removed it from the harness and re-terminated the Deutsche fitting in the Y piece with one of these: TP7AS - https://www.amazon.com.au/Maypole-38.../dp/B003H5FX6Q.
    After some testing, I found all the connections I needed were in the plug from the Spyder except the reverse light.

For my RTL there is a connector under a panel under the pillion seat for the OEM harness to connect. You just unplug the Deutsche fitting and insert the Y Piece.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2023 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL's iaw Forum policy
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep that Y piece is exactly correct.

WRT to the Deutch connector as I recall the left one has 10 pins (console side) and the right 9 pins (lamps side). The extra pin provides isolated power via RFB F4 10amp ATO/ATC fuse. Reverse is Pink/Beige before lamp assembly and then Brown/Black after, at least in 2014.

Lamp assembly uses a 5-pin AMP SuperSeal connector.

Let us know how it works.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 07-19-2023 at 06:40 PM. Reason: added SuperSeal note
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had the setup in place for 3 - 4 yrs now, just gone without the reversing lights and now have time to follow it up.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just looked at the wiring diagram for my 2014 RTS. The wire is shown. It comes from the cluster and goes to the taillight assembly. It's one of the incandescent bulbs. It is just not identified as the backup light. There are four wires shown going to the light assembly but the diagram only notes tail, turn, and brake. Obviously the fourth one has to be the backup.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just looked at the wiring diagram for my 2014 RTS. The wire is shown. It comes from the cluster and goes to the taillight assembly. It's one of the incandescent bulbs. It is just not identified as the backup light. There are four wires shown going to the light assembly but the diagram only notes tail, turn, and brake. Obviously the fourth one has to be the backup.
    Thanks Idaho - you are correct. On yours does it show the wire colour?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Idaho - you are correct. On yours does it show the wire colour?
    Main/tracer colors are Pink/Beige from cluster to connector and Brown/Black from connector to light assembly.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Main/tracer colors are Pink/Beige from cluster to connector and Brown/Black from connector to light assembly.
    Awesome thanks.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White