Spyder Garage

Default Does the VSS Fault msg come up only at Start Up or when there's a problem?

There is a local marketplace ad for a decent looking Spyder. In his pics is a pic of the display and it says VSS Fault. My question is, does that message come up at any other time such as start up or does it only come up when there is an actual problem?

Thanks

IMG_1355.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by delkhouri View Post
    There is a local marketplace ad for a decent looking Spyder. In his pics is a pic of the display and it says VSS Fault. My question is, does that message come up at any other time such as start up or does it only come up when there is an actual problem?

Thanks

IMG_1355.jpeg
    Well like all cars, trucks etc. the warning lights for critical functions will light so you know the warning lights (and systems) are working .... the same with the Spyders .... The "VSS" icon will come on when/if while driving you exceed the parameters the engineers dialed into that computer function .... I see my VSS quite often when I'm in the "twisty's" and really pushing the limits. .... If you exceed the limits depending on what needs to be done to correct the issue. ..... It is a safety factor that I would rather have than not. .... The only draw-back that I see is a really skillful driver could go faster in a given situation without the "VSS". .... But a lot of drivers would/could get in way over their skills .... JMHO ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Or it could mean there is a more serious problem with the bike.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not good if it is coming on and staying on.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

its not running

Spyder Garage

The tach is at zero which means the engine is not running. To know for sure the VSS light is an active code, you would need to start the engine. If it stays on, maybe not good, depending on what is throwing the code. If it goes out when started, not a problem. Even if it stays on, it's not necessarily a big deal. It may be nothing more than air in the system. Or it could be more serious.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I guess that is my question - Is a VSS message normal before you turn the Spyder on? Like with my car I can put my key in, turn the ignition on, and all the lights will show up; but when I actually start it everything turns off.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I guess that is my question - Is a VSS message normal before you turn the Spyder on? Like with my car I can put my key in, turn the ignition on, and all the lights will show up; but when I actually start it everything turns off.

It might help if you read post #2. ..... or not ... ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

In short, it is not normal. The only reason any fault comes up on your screen is if there is an active fault. If its a fault that randomly came up on the display, that vault should clear itself after a short ride.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    It might help if you read post #2. ..... or not ... ..... Mike
    sorry most of post # 2 was about what a vis fault is... after re-reading it the first line is about lights showing up to show what the warning lights are.

but as others have said it is not normal for it to display VSS fault unless there is an issue or at least and error. It an possibly clear itself or it may just be there on start up. IDK. I have not gone to see the Spyder or asked any questions to the owner/seller.

Spyder Garage

Only a test drive will solve the issue. I don't remember that message coming up on that style dashboard for me at all during start up procedure.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Contrary to what BlueKnight is saying - on that gen of Dash - the "VSS Fault" verbiage does not come on before the bike is started. The icon can show up but not the verbiage itself.

If the buyer is serious and communicating with you - ask them to video starting the bike - if the fault is still showing - then have them press the "Mode", "Set" and "Turn Signal" cancel button all at the same time to determine the actual fault code prompting the VSS verbiage. Newer dashes will give a VSS Fault if the voltage is too low before starting the bike but it usually goes away right after start up (assuming enough battery to start it up). I can't say that I've ever seen that on the old dash - not that it couldn't be the cause - just never seen it.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black