Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

So...I completed the Spyder Ryding course on September 24 at Fleming College in Peterborough, Ontario. There were five students in all; one other man, three women and myself. Initially I was a bit disappointed to find that they supplied us with Rykers instead of Spyders but after ryding through the slaloms and other exercises it became apparent that there was likely little difference in the handling characteristics between the two.

The course delivered what I was looking for, a modicum of confidence in ryding on three wheels. These guys were obviously experienced in administering the course and were ready for any contingency evidenced by the fact that an ambulance and fire truck were hired to be on scene just in case of catastrophe. Best of all...it was fun.

It's going to be a long two years before the wifeypoo loosens the purse strings.

https://spydercourse.com/index

382486753_10224976525583483_8054605027494463925_n.jpg
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 10-15-2023 at 06:32 PM.

Spyder Garage

I did a course with Georgian College in Barrie Ontario (same people I did my 2 wheel course with 15 years ago).
    Difference is I enrolled my wife too. We were out looking at the 2023 Sea to Sky tonight and might (probably) buy it tomorrow. lol
    She rode a Spyder F3 and I had a Ryker. At the lunch break I took the Spyder RT limited for a spin. The power steering of the Spyder is WAY better than the Ryker which I had to muscle around.
    She liked it so much she is going to trade her bike in (HD Softtail slim), but I'm keeping my Triumph T120
    2022 Sea to Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Nice to hear from you mmeechan.

You're buying a Sea to Sky????? I HATE YOU!! No...that's not what I mean. Best of luck with it for both your wife and you.

Where abouts are you in Ontario?

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

We are in Barrie. Went to school at Trent in Peterborough back in the early 90's
    hope your wife sees the benefits of the adventures you guys could go on!

Spyder Garage

Until 20 years ago I rode 2 wheelers my whole life. Last spring my wife bought me a 2008 GS SM5. The wiring had been chewed by rodent, the fuel system was rusted, and clogged ETC. I finally put it back together about 2 weeks ago and began riding it in Limp Home Mode. Within a day I was competent riding it. Even in Limp Home Mode @ 3350 rpm out of 8000 it has plenty of power, but it cuts out at 50 mph (that's fast enough around town). It was a learning curve. I still reach for the front brake lever and want to put my foot down at stops (sometimes). You still need to lean into turns to prevent centrifugal force from throwing you off. It really is fun, even with my trike's limitations (just till next tax return) and it's easy to ride. Mine is the only one around here, so as old as it is, I still get compliments everywhere I go. It even draws attention from travelers from all over. Even people from places like California, Texas, and New England where you know these trikes aren't that uncommon. So don't expect to go unnoticed. For instance, I wouldn't use it as getaway car in a bank heist! They are easy to ride, fast, fun, and a joy to ride. So if the costs don't scare you, by all means, buy your Spyder and have fun! Sincerely William
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2023 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Not THAT far from Bowmanville mmeechan but I guess we're not going to be weekly coffee buddies at Tim's. My last bike was an 81 Honda CBX B so the wife has had some experience although not since about 1990. We'll see if she can resist in the end. Did you get the S2S?

1981-honda-cbx-1.jpg
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 10-17-2023 at 07:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the insight William. Re: 'I wouldn't use it as getaway car in a bank heist' I use my 2012 Chevrolet Cruze for that.
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 10-17-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandallMcDermott View Post
    Easier said than done, oh Leaping One.

Up until now I've let my wife control the purse strings and we have done fairly well under that condition. If it were just me I would have a Spyder by now and would probably be wondering where the next tank of gas was coming from.

I had best not upset the apple cart at this point. We expect to be in a better position over the next year or two.

Regards, Randy
    The big thing is if you don't do it soon, you may not be able to do it later and you will miss out on all the fun!! You can't take it with you to the grave! Go for it!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2023 at 03:40 PM. Reason: tt
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The big thing is if you don't do it soon, you may not be able to do it later and you will miss out on all the fun!! You can't take it with you to the grave! Go for it!
    Gotta agree with that sentiment, Mikey. I started riding three wheels 8 years ago. I’m 80 now, and I have no idea how much time I have left, but I’m going to continue as long a I can, and yeah......I’m up for a steaming hot cuppa joe!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Gotta agree with that sentiment, Mikey. I started riding three wheels 8 years ago. I’m 80 now, and I have no idea how much time I have left, but I’m going to continue as long a I can, and yeah......I’m up for a steaming hot cuppa joe!
    Thanks fer the input Mr. Big. At 72 years of age and retired, I'm looking at an investment of probably about $27,000 plus PDI, license and tax as well as insurance. We are just scraping by as it is so I would LITERALLY be wondering where the next tank of gas is coming from. Just the same, if either of you, Mikey and bigbadbrucie, are ever in the Bowmanville, Ontario area I'd love to share a cuppa with you.
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 10-20-2023 at 01:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Whew!! Problem solved. A friend told me that when she wins the big one she will buy me one. Thanks for your interest guys. See you on the Ryde.

Spyder Garage

Not THAT far from Bowmanville mmeechan but I guess we're not going to be weekly coffee buddies at Tim's. My last bike was an 81 Honda CBX B so the wife has had some experience although not since about 1990. We'll see if she can resist in the end. Did you get the S2S?

1981-honda-cbx-1.jpg
    My current bike is a 2020 Triumph T120, and I'm keeping it.
    But this is the new (to me) 2022 Sea to Sky with only 1,800 km on it that we bought today. Hope to get it on Friday to bring home.

C5E4D5A9-9D02-4F4C-A092-75924664C874-L0-001.jpg

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks fer the input Mr. Big. At 72 years of age and retired, I'm looking at an investment of probably about $27,000 plus PDI, license and tax as well as insurance. We are just scraping by as it is so I would LITERALLY be wondering where the next tank of gas is coming from. Just the same, if either of you, Mikey and bigbadbrucie, are ever in the Bowmanville, Ontario area I'd love to share a cuppa with you.
    Another way of looking at it is to lower your sights. .... I bought a used (estate sale) 2014 RTS. No, it’s not a Ltd and it isn’t the “New” style RT, BUT it is the 1330, it is an RT, it does like being ‘farkled’ and most importantly ..... it’s fun to ryde and it serves me well. (Did I mention that it’s quite a bit cheaper than the 2020+?)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2023 at 08:39 PM.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmeechan View Post
    My current bike is a 2020 Triumph T120, and I'm keeping it.
    But this is the new (to me) 2022 Sea to Sky with only 1,800 km on it that we bought today. Hope to get it on Friday to bring home.

C5E4D5A9-9D02-4F4C-A092-75924664C874-L0-001.jpg
    Nice mmeechan!! I hope the two of you are happy together.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Another way of looking at it is to lower your sights. .... I bought a used (estate sale) 2014 RTS. No, it’s not a Ltd and it isn’t the “New” style RT, BUT it is the 1330, it is an RT, it does like being ‘farkled’ and most importantly ..... it’s fun to ryde and it serves me well. (Did I mention that it’s quite a bit cheaper than the 2020+?)
    Lower my sights? Nah, I'm prepared to wait. I'd like to get something about 2 to 5 years old. I think that is where I'll find the best deal over all. I'm embarrassed to have to admit that I had to google 'farkle'. I've been thinking on a paisley wrap. <smirk>
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 10-22-2023 at 06:09 PM.