Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dipping my big toe in to check the water

Hey group,

I haven't owned a Spyder...yet...but I did sign up for a Spyder riding course at spydercourse.com. The course will be in September at Fleming University in Peterborough, Ontario and is one day in class and one day riding in a closed course, under supervision.

The Spyder looks quite a bit more complicated than the two wheelers that I've grown accustomed to over the years and it's been about 20 years since I've been riding at all. I don't think I can just go into a shop, buy one and ride it home without getting my feet wet under supervision first.

I'm hoping to see a 2020 RTL in Chalk White (good color for one who doesn't wash their vehicles) eventually. It's still going to be a wait as we are going to see our income crunch over the next two years which isn't going to help in our retirement. Stay tuned and rYde on.

Regards, Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Gday Randy.

Well 1st up.

I got on one for the 1st time 18 months ago and rode it home over 3 days and a ferry trip. So its doable.

It was very different to ride.

No feet down at a stop, and rides like a quad with no leaning or counter steering were the 1st lessons for me.

Been riding and maintaining bikes for 50 yrs prior...

Big heavy cruisers for 2 up riding are a pleasant memory for me now. Still riding some smaller and lighter ones 1 up.

My advice is if you dont need 3 wheels stick with 2 unless ya just gotta get a Spyder or another 3 wheel setup.

Complicated...Yes these Spyders can be. Not so much to ride but the with the maintenance.
    Entirely different in many ways.

Heads up.
    They can be expensive, even for general work.

There is a thing called BUDS. Its ongoing and a bit like a Ransomware. It costs $$ to plug in and correct stuff and requires maintaining. Sadly BRP dosnt want to know you or your machine after 10 years.

That being said my F3 Ltd is fun to ride and easily doable 2 up.
    Love that 6 speed quick shifter. Its great.

Do some surfing homework and as you said there is no hurry to make up your mind.
    The course should be fun and a good learning curve.

Licensing down here for the Spyders falls into the car section here. Gotta put it somewhere I guess.

Iso in Kiwiland.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

We have exactly the vehicle you aspire to. From the driver's perspective it isn't complicated at all. No clutch and the tranny only shifts up when you ask for it. Downshifts can be manual or automatic. One brake pedal puts ABS on all three wheels.

It's a bit worse from the mechanic's perspective. One learns to be expert in removing the plastic panels, at least one side has to come off to get anything done. The air-ride suspension is interesting. I echo the concerns about BUDS. The whole cycle runs by computer. What happens when the dealer refuses to work on it? BUDS is too expensive for an individual rider-mechanic.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Taking a course is a good way to start.
    That way you find out if you enjoy riding on three wheels.
    And if you don't like it you haven't spent a lot of money on a machine you won't ride.
    I took the two hour course in Barrie last year, just to see if I could ride one.
    Bruce

Spyder Garage

The Spyder is just as much fun as 2 wheels. Just different. There is a learning curve going from 2 to 3 wheels that I doubt you will master in a riding course. Those who have never ridden 2 wheels have a big advantage because they don't bring any 2 wheel baggage to the dance. A lot of Spyders have been sold with very few miles on them because some just didn't persevere quite long enough to get to the silver lining.

The amount of relearning varies. The key being Relax-Relax-Relax! The Spyder is better than 2 wheels in many respects. In others, not so much. You always have to give up something to get something. But most find the Spyder to be an excellent ride, if they give it a chance to shine.

You're going about this the right way. Ease into it and let the machine persuade you.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

JUST DRIVE IT LIKE A CAR !!!! .... the Brakes are powerful so test stopping until you feel comfortable .... The Spyder's are easy to STEER, and at first most Folks ....OVER-STEER them .... I have learned less is better .... Just ...GUIDE it .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

After almost 40 years on 2 wheels I traded in my Goldwing for a new 2021 Spyder RT. If you think of it as a car with handlebars you will do just fine. Unlearning 2 wheeler skills is the biggest part of acclimating to the Spyder. At first I felt awkward not reaching for a clutch or front brake lever. It took me awhile to get used to riding in the center of the lane. In my opinion the stability of the Spyder, especially when coming to a stop on less than pristine road surfaces and the ease at which it handles gravel or dirt roads or grass surfaces compared to a 2 wheeler more than compensates for no longer leaning through the curves.

I will add that riding a Spyder is more like riding a regular motorcycle, in terms of the fun of riding, than most 2 wheel riders ever imagine. But you will not get the respect of 2 wheelers so just expect that. In part the reason that many motorcyclists do not think the Spyder is a "real" motorcycle is the fact that it does not take the skills that one must learn when riding a 2 wheeler. On a 2 wheeler it is not just the manual transmission to be operated, but the ability to use both hands and both feet simultaneously (such as when making an emergency stop while downshifting) that must be learned before you are a real rider. The Spyder can be easily ridden by anyone who has driven a car. As a former Motocycle Safety Foundation instructor, I used to say that the only skill a student needed to successfully take the Basic Riders Course was the ability to ride a bicycle. For the Spyder, you don't even need that skill. But none of this detracts from the pleasure of riding this amazing machine. I personally think it is the height of foolishness when I hear of someone who says that when age or disability keep them from riding a 2 wheeler they will just give up riding rather than going to 3 wheels. Riding a 3 wheeler like the Spyder is a great way to stay in the riding community for those who have to leave the 2 wheelers in their past. I was 78 when I bought my Spyder, 2 years ago, and I have not regretted doing so for a single minute since.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Hi Isopedella, thanks for the quick response.

Guess I'm getting to be a nervous ol' coot. It's that first 15 minutes with any vehicle that can be nerve wracking. In 81 I bought a Honda CBXB (six cylinder) That was some fun. At 71 I was briefly interested in a Vrod but found it just too heavy to hold up. I think I'm ready for a tricycle.

Being a retired machinist, I used to do all of my own wrenching but just got fed up with it. I imagine that I will be doing most of the maintenance on a Spyder.

Although the Spyder course leads towards getting an Ontario motorcycle license I already have my M class license (required for the Spyder) so this will be a refresher for the basics as well as Spyder specific training. It will also be an opportunity to get a feel for weather I want to get into rYding. I'm looking forward to it.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick response Chip. Your insights are noted.

Regards, Randy
    Last edited by RandallMcDermott; 07-15-2023 at 09:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Exactly what I'm thinking Raven. Thanks.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Took me about 1000 miles before I could let go of the left grip to wave to the Harley guys--they still didn't wave back. Seriously--I bought my 2021 RTL over 2 years ago at Pit Bull in Springfield Mo, about 100 miles from home. The ride home was "interesting" as I have been on 2 wheels for over 60 years. I stayed in my lane, didn't pass anyone and shortly after took a trip to Nebraska. Now with over 15K, I can switch back and forth to 2 wheels with no problems and enjoy them both. Go for it--we have all been through the learning curve and it's not bad
    2021 Spyder RTL Red, 2022 Kawasaki Z 400

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your thoughts, Ron. They are mucho appreciamundo.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your insight, Mike. I appreciate it.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your thoughts, Vito. You've eased my mind a smidgen.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

RandallMcDermott,

I was a passenger for 16 years on a 2-wheel motorcycle. So in 2012, when I bought my first Spyder, I took the written and driving tests for the Spyder.

The driving test for the Spyder was the same test as the 2-wheel motorcycle test. I got my learners permit here in Vt. They also gave me a separate card saying that I can only drive a 3 wheeled motorcycle. I cannot go back and forth from 2 wheeled to 3 wheeled motorcycles. (I am on my 3rd Spyder now.) Here is a helpful piece of advice - when going thru the corners, push through the corners (either left or right), don't lean.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-15-2023 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Good for you Deanna! And thanks for the thoughts. Is that a nitrous oxide cylinder on the left side of your tryke? <smirk>

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandallMcDermott View Post
    Good for you Deanna! And thanks for the thoughts. Is that a nitrous oxide cylinder on the left side of your tryke? <smirk>

Regards, Randy
    Randy,

Thanks! You are Welcome! It is a nitro canister
    Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-19-2023 at 07:23 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Get a Spyder and you will never look back on what you formerly rode! they are great..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Once you get over the 'this thing is going to tip over or throw me off' feeling, you will be fine. Add a Baja Ron sway bar as soon as possible and you will be golden!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

When you say the Spyder looks complicated, what are you referring to, operation or maintenance? I don’t know diddley squat about mechanics, so I leave that to the professionals. From an operational standpoint, the Spyder is a breeze. At least the SE models are.

Semi-automatic means no manual shifting on your part. Upshifts are handled by a paddle shifter. It will automatically down shift for you or you have do that yourself. Three wheel anti-lock brakes means no brake lever to pull, just a foot peddle on the right side.

The three wheeled configuration means no balance problems, it basically balances itself. So there is no concern about try to hold up a heave bike at traffic lights or having to lift it back up should you drop it. I don’t think you’re going to have any troubles getting the hang of a Spyder in only a quick spin around the block.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RandallMcDermott View Post
    Hey group,

I haven't owned a Spyder...yet...but I did sign up for a Spyder riding course at spydercourse.com. The course will be in September at Fleming University in Peterborough, Ontario and is one day in class and one day riding in a closed course, under supervision.

The Spyder looks quite a bit more complicated than the two wheelers that I've grown accustomed to over the years and it's been about 20 years since I've been riding at all. I don't think I can just go into a shop, buy one and ride it home without getting my feet wet under supervision first.

I'm hoping to see a 2020 RTL in Chalk White (good color for one who doesn't wash their vehicles) eventually. It's still going to be a wait as we are going to see our income crunch over the next two years which isn't going to help in our retirement. Stay tuned and rYde on.

Regards, Randy
    Don't worry about the income. Being retired I realize I was broke half the time when working and am broke now. So I can't tell the difference. I just went to a Cam Am RT and love it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks fer your thoughts Big F

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thoughts FrogmanDave.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Initially I was talking about the operation of the Spyder Greg. I don't imagine that I would have a great deal of trouble acclimatizing to it but when I saw that there is a course teaching the basics I just thought that might be the route for me given that I haven't made my mind up if I want one or not.

If I buy a Spyder, I'll take each maintenance problem as they arise to decide what I will do myself and what I will relegate to the experts. I can do this stuff but it's not my passion. Thanks for your input. It's much appreciated.

Regards, Randy

Spyder Garage

Easier said than done, oh Leaping One.

Up until now I've let my wife control the purse strings and we have done fairly well under that condition. If it were just me I would have a Spyder by now and would probably be wondering where the next tank of gas was coming from.

I had best not upset the apple cart at this point. We expect to be in a better position over the next year or two.

Regards, Randy