Spyder Garage

Default What is compromised by leaving Sprocket O-ring out?

Just replaced the rear tire on my F3S and noticed the infamous (sometimes missing) sprocket O-ring was pinched and distorted. Whatever sealing function it originally provided was severely compromised. I called for the part at the local dealer, but the wait was over a week. I decided to leave it out this time and order a couple of new ones (one as a spare) for the next tire change. I'm wondering what I may be compromising by leaving it out. The F3S is mainly my local trike and never gets ridden in rain. That honor will go to my "new" 2018 RTL. I just changed rear the tire on it, and the Oring is in good shape. If the Oring is meant as a last stand water seal, its omission shouldn't be a problem. Rear tire on each Spyder is now a General Altimax RT45.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    Just replaced the rear tire on my F3S and noticed the infamous (sometimes missing) sprocket O-ring was pinched and distorted. Whatever sealing function it originally provided was severely compromised. I called for the part at the local dealer, but the wait was over a week. I decided to leave it out this time and order a couple of new ones (one as a spare) for the next tire change. I'm wondering what I may be compromising by leaving it out. The F3S is mainly my local trike and never gets ridden in rain. That honor will go to my "new" 2018 RTL. I just changed rear the tire on it, and the Oring is in good shape. If the Oring is meant as a last stand water seal, its omission shouldn't be a problem. Rear tire on each Spyder is now a General Altimax RT45.
    That O-Ring is meant to do more than keep water out. Thought that is probably it's main function. It also keeps dust, etc., out as well. But if you replace it in a reasonable amount of time, you should be fine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

If you happen to have a couple of smaller or one larger o'rings of the same diameter , a single edged razor blade and a drop or two of super glue it's easy to make a replacement. Let me know if you need details.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

You could have just smeared a ring of silicone sealer around the O-ring grove before you put it together. Should be Ok anyway, if you have sealed bearings on the rear axle.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    You could have just smeared a ring of silicone sealer around the O-ring grove before you put it together. Should be Ok anyway, if you have sealed bearings on the rear axle.
    Better than nothing, if temporary becomes extended waiting Also, if there's enough left of the original, you can get a measurement of the diameter & find one somewhere else. Sure to be cheaper than BRP anyway.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2023 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    That O-Ring is meant to do more than keep water out. Thought that is probably it's main function. It also keeps dust, etc., out as well. But if you replace it in a reasonable amount of time, you should be fine.
    Thanks Ron. I agree. There are seals in front of the sprocket and wheel bearings, and I believe the bearings are sealed. The Oring seems to provide a bit of backdoor water and dust sealing to the sprocket and its bearing. Based on my environment, I'm good with leaving it out til the next tire change. If I see issues when I do that, I'll report back.

BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

I will be fitting new rear rubber and a TPMS soon.

What are the dimensions of this O ring?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikthebik View Post
    Thanks Ron. I agree. There are seals in front of the sprocket and wheel bearings, and I believe the bearings are sealed. The Oring seems to provide a bit of backdoor water and dust sealing to the sprocket and its bearing. Based on my environment, I'm good with leaving it out til the next tire change. If I see issues when I do that, I'll report back.
    I'm a firm believer in " if it's not Broke Don't fix it " ..( I have 76,000 mi on my oil " O " rings )... yours didn't break .... however it is compromised ..... How many miles do you think before next tire change ????? ... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I'm a firm believer in " if it's not Broke Don't fix it " ..( I have 76,000 mi on my oil " O " rings )... yours didn't break .... however it is compromised ..... How many miles do you think before next tire change ????? ... good luck ....Mike
    The interesting thing about the pinched and squished compromised oil ring, is that the only mechanics that have had the wheel off prior to this tire change were those at the Phoenix Can Am dealership. where the PO took it for tire changes and ?. Based on the other screwups, that were probably the result of their work, I'd not hesitate in recommending people stay away from Ride Now in Phoenix out of caution.

I would imagine the next tire change would be in the 20K range with the Altimax RT45. I'll be ordering the 3-bearing set and a couple of the o-rings next week to have on hand, in case the bearings become an issue, before the tire change. I doubt that will happen, given the use and climate the F3S running in.

I have an outstanding work order for the front sprocket recall replacement, and the mechanic is a guy I've known and respected for years. I'll give him my pitch about not replacing the o-ring and he tells me it's more critical that my reasoning has suggested, I'll take the bloody wheel back off. Not my favorite project..
    Last edited by mikthebik; 07-17-2023 at 05:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    I will be fitting new rear rubber and a TPMS soon.

What are the dimensions of this O ring?
    I know this is not gonna be much help if you're looking to get one in before you need it, but for what it's worth, this thing is a fairly large diameter 'O' ring with a pretty small cross section that fits in the groove between the bolt on hub extension and the centre of the rim proper on the 2-part rims.

I think your F3 may still have the 2-part rim, but IIRC it was about then or soon after that BRP changed to a single piece rim - effectively the same 'Form, Fit, & Function' piece of kit, just made in one piece instead of having to bolt the 2 pieces together with an 'O' ring between them....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I know this is not gonna be much help if you're looking to get one in before you need it, but for what it's worth, this thing is a fairly large diameter 'O' ring with a pretty small cross section that fits in the groove between the bolt on hub extension and the centre of the rim proper on the 2-part rims.

I think your F3 may still have the 2-part rim, but IIRC it was about then or soon after that BRP changed to a single piece rim - effectively the same 'Form, Fit, & Function' piece of kit, just made in one piece instead of having to bolt the 2 pieces together with an 'O' ring between them....
    Cheers. Just went out and had a sticky beak. Looks like it is a 1 piece rim.
    2017 F3 Ltd