Spyder Garage

Default Will the Spyder's 4-pin harness work with a 5-pin trailer connector?

2018 Spyder RTL - I just bought a Third Wheel Trailer, and it has a 5-pin connector on it. Will the 4-pin Spyder Plug and Play harness work with the 5-pin trailer connector? All the online dealers only have a 4-pin trailer harness for the Spyder, and they say I should rewire the trailer to a 4-pin connector.

Any info or advice on this would really be appreciated.

Dave
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2023 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... & expanded title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Actually Value accessories has a plug and play 5 pin, I used it. I prefer a 5 pin system as most bikes still have a separate turn and brake light.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 07-12-2023 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Correction

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    2018 Spyder RTL - I just bought a Third Wheel Trailer, and it has a 5-pin connector on it. Will the 4-pin Spyder Plug and Play harness work with the 5-pin trailer connector? All the online dealers only have a 4-pin trailer harness for the Spyder, and they say I should rewire the trailer to a 4-pin connector.

Dave
    In short your choices are 1) rewire the trailer, 2) use the harness pegasus mentions, https://www.bigbikeparts.com/trailer...harness-41-162, to which you will have to add the proper connector to match the trailer, or 3) buy these two items, https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...d-rt-2018.html and https://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/...-a-connector/#. With this last choice you will have to cut the Deutsch connector off the BRP Y harness and splice the Namz harness to it. You'll also have to add a connector to match the trailer connector. The big difference between 2) and 3) is 2) connects into the wiring at the taillights, and 3) connects into the harness under the seat. The practical difference is essentially none.

There is no quick and easy way to mate a Can-Am Spyder to a 5 wire trailer. BRP went to a 4 wire trailer harness configuration about 10 years ago and has not provided any plug and play means to use a 5 wire trailer since. They did actually use a 5 wire configuration on their trailer for a couple of years but the control module on the bike wasn't durable so when they went to a better module they also went only to 4 wire.

When I made a 5 wire trailer back in 2014 I fabricated my own harness using the BRP Y harness and a Goldwing control module.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great info IdahoMtnSpyer and Pegasus1300, looks like I'll be buying the Big Bike harness.

Spyder Garage

Yes it will. The fifth wire on a trailer is usually for the brakes or back up lights. That's what I found out while messing with 4 and 5 pin connectors.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave
    These look like a dam nice trailer. Any chance you can post a update on how it goes after you've done a few trips?
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    Yes it will. The fifth wire on a trailer is usually for the brakes or back up lights. That's what I found out while messing with 4 and 5 pin connectors.
    Oops, you need to double check that. What you are referring to is not the standard configuration known as 5 wire trailer. A 5 wire configuration is left and right turn signals, usually amber, brake, taillight, and ground. The brake and turn do not use the same bulb or filament. A 4 wire configuration is left turn/brake, right turn/brake, taillight, and ground. In a 4 wire setup brake and turn use the same bulb/filament. The configurations you mention are standard 4 wire with an added circuit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Oops, you need to double check that. What you are referring to is not the standard configuration known as 5 wire trailer. A 5 wire configuration is left and right turn signals, usually amber, brake, taillight, and ground. The brake and turn do not use the same bulb or filament. A 4 wire configuration is left turn/brake, right turn/brake, taillight, and ground. In a 4 wire setup brake and turn use the same bulb/filament. The configurations you mention are standard 4 wire with an added circuit.
    If the 5 wire setup has 4 light assemblies the 2 that are hooked up as turn signals will function as turn, stop and tail lights while the other 2 will function as tail lights when it is hooked to a 4 wire connector
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    If the 5 wire setup has 4 light assemblies the 2 that are hooked up as turn signals will function as turn, stop and tail lights while the other 2 will function as tail lights when it is hooked to a 4 wire connector
    True, you can do that if the turn signals are red, or the lens can be changed to red from amber. The existing brake lights (filaments) will remain non-functional. Most 5 wire systems use amber turn signals, which of course cannot be used as brake lights.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    True, you can do that if the turn signals are red, or the lens can be changed to red from amber. The existing brake lights (filaments) will remain non-functional. Most 5 wire systems use amber turn signals, which of course cannot be used as brake lights.
    Point well taken.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the great info IdahoMtnSpyer and Pegasus1300, looks like I'll be buying the Big Bike harness.
    Dave S,just get a 4 to 5 connecter from E trailer an plug it in, will work fine without any other wiring or harnesses. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wir...ins/47515.html

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    Dave S,just get a 4 to 5 connecter from E trailer an plug it in, will work fine without any other wiring or harnesses. https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Wir...ins/47515.html

Al in Kazoo
    Sorry, that adapter does not actually convert from a 4 wire configuration to a 5 wire configuration since it does not modify the brake/turn configuration. All it's good for is to make the connection to a trailer that has a 4 wire configuration plus backup lights, or brake release, going through a 5 flat connector. Backup lights are not a standard part of trailer wiring.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 07-10-2023 at 04:24 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

I emailed Third Wheel and it looks like the tail lights are all LED. Will the https://www.bigbikeparts.com/trailer...harness-41-162 wiring harness from Show Chrome still work with the Spyder? I've emailed the asking the same question but haven't heard back from them yet.

Spyder Garage

Sure will askitee

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is easy, although it would be easier if the specific trailer model was identified.

Be that as it may, Canada requires turn lamps to operate independently from the brake/tail lamp. Therefore IdahoMtnSpyder's Choice 2 was the correct answer.

There's no need to drag this discussion on for another day.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Well actually Bert, IdahoMtnSpyder's Choice 2 isn't the only answer, his first suggestion worked just fine. I bought the https://www.bigbikeparts.com/trailer...harness-41-162 which is made for 5 wired trailers and installed it following the instructions and it works just fine. So now we don't have any need to drag this discussion on for another day!