Spyder Garage

Default Anyone towed an Aspen Classic Camping Trailer with your Spyder?

Just curious to see if anyone here has had any experience pulling this camping trailer with your Spyder. What are your thoughts WRT handling and braking. I have 2022 RTL and I have an opportunity to purchase one. I would welcome your comments as this would help me in my decision making.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-07-2023 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Not the Aspen but I picked up a Time Out Deluxe from the factory in Elkhart, IN and pulled it back to Mississippi a couple of weeks ago. One day trip back. 360 ish pounds + gear I had shipped to one of our facilities thinking I would use it in Savannah the following week....work plans changed. Pulls and handles fine but you do know you have some extra weight back there. I was able to pass anything I needed to so power was not a problem. I ordered it with brakes but did not have the controller installed on the 2019 RTL yet. You can definitely feel a push when braking but never scary so it will be fine when I get the controller in place. If I needed to it would STOP.

I know this is not directly about the Aspen but thought the general info might help.

I used it over the 4th weekend and love it. All my tent stuff is going out the door!
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. The trailer I am looking at has the electric brakes, how complicated is it to install the controller on the Spyder?

Spyder Garage

I have the aspen classic. I LOVE IT. It has never been a problem towing or stopping. I have never needed electric brakes so not really sure why you would need them. I had a couple of times where I had to stop NOW because of idiots and it was never a problem. You can haul alot of stuff inside that thing. The tow rating for the bike is around 400 pounds I think and mine is 550 with all my junk in it and it has never been a problem. In 2020 we went on a 4200 mile trip that lasted 3 months in it and had a blast.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ODHawk View Post
    Thanks for the info. The trailer I am looking at has the electric brakes, how complicated is it to install the controller on the Spyder?
    Electric brakes are a plus especially if the LOADED trailer exceeds # 400 lbs. .... I can't speak to the install for the Spyder .... the " controller " should have specific instructions for installing it ..... if not contact the folks who sold that Aspen .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nslowmotion View Post
    I have the aspen classic. I LOVE IT. It has never been a problem towing or stopping. I have never needed electric brakes so not really sure why you would need them. I had a couple of times where I had to stop NOW because of idiots and it was never a problem. You can haul alot of stuff inside that thing. The tow rating for the bike is around 400 pounds I think and mine is 550 with all my junk in it and it has never been a problem. In 2020 we went on a 4200 mile trip that lasted 3 months in it and had a blast.
    The reason I want the brakes is two fold. One, it should reduce the stopping distance, and with that much weight behind you stopping distance does increase. Two, to reduce the wear and tear on the Spyder's brakes having to do double duty.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Have not done the install yet as I'm still trying to find the location I want to mount it. It needs to be fairly level, face forward and be rigidly mounted. I have mocked up the general shape and size in wood. Was hoping it would locate under the seat but no room. It needs to be out of the weather so that rules out a lot of locations. I will post back when I find the spot. Of course with the design changes in 2020 yours will most likely be different.

I may even wind up going with a different brand from what Time Out supplied to something that I can mount vertical. It came with a Tekonsha and I am looking at a REDARC Tow-Pro Liberty that seems to be smaller and has the ability to be mounted vertically.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Have not done the install yet as I'm still trying to find the location I want to mount it. It needs to be fairly level, face forward and be rigidly mounted. I have mocked up the general shape and size in wood. Was hoping it would locate under the seat but no room. It needs to be out of the weather so that rules out a lot of locations. I will post back when I find the spot. Of course with the design changes in 2020 yours will most likely be different.

I may even wind up going with a different brand from what Time Out supplied to something that I can mount vertical. It came with a Tekonsha and I am looking at a REDARC Tow-Pro Liberty that seems to be smaller and has the ability to be mounted vertically.
    Is it possible to mount it on the trailer ????? .........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a Bunkhouse, but basically the same thing. I was pleasantly surprised at how well my 2015 RT pulled it versus my 1800 Wing. Stopping, starting, traveling all seemed to be comparable. I don't have trailer brakes but certainly don't think they can hurt.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Is it possible to mount it on the trailer ????? .........Mike
    Mike, that is an option that I am also looking into and one that I think I have already figured out. I would rather have it on the Spyder just in case I decide to add something else to the fleet at a later time. When I started this whole Spyder journey a trailer was not on my mind, now I have three.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just curious to see if anyone here has had any experience pulling this camping trailer with your Spyder. What are your thoughts WRT handling and braking. I have 2022 RTL and I have an opportunity to purchase one. I would welcome your comments as this would help me in my decision making.
    The Rt is a great tow vehicle. The electric brakes are a bonus. Get it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Mike, that is an option that I am also looking into and one that I think I have already figured out. I would rather have it on the Spyder just in case I decide to add something else to the fleet at a later time. When I started this whole Spyder journey a trailer was not on my mind, now I have three.
    ......... Mike