Spyder Garage

Default Here's my Left Turn "wobble" Fix!

Do you have left turn only “wobble”?

The “wobble” on turns is the Stability Control System operating. From the Operator’s Guide: “A Stability Control System (SCS) is designed to limit the power driving the rear tire and to brake individual wheels, which reduces the risk of losing control of the vehicle or rolling over.”

On my 2019 Rally this was kicking in (early) on hard left turns only. It never kicked in on right turns no matter how aggressively I cornered. I never got a fault or code.

Installing the Ryker Steering Update Kit PN 219800513 as called out in this service bulletin fixed it:
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...81946-0001.pdf

The kit contains new bearings, but also two additional parts – a spring washer and a spacer – that have been added to 2022 and newer models. I confirmed with Can Am that they will cover this update kit under warranty, but if out of warranty it is not covered. I of course was out of warranty, so I installed it myself. Installation was not particularly hard, but you do have to remove several unrelated parts to gain access to some bolts. The instructions with the kit are very thorough with lots of detailed drawings:
    https://brp.my.salesforce-sites.com/ISPublicArticleInfo/apex/BWLightningViewerWithTranslate?#id=kA03x000000YsSR CA0&googtrans(en|en_US)

A SAS (Steering Angle Sensor) reset and yaw sensor reset are last steps in the installation. This pushed me to get a BUDS2 system. I prefer to do my own maintenance when possible, so this will come in handy. I also used it on my Sea Doo Spark to reset a “Maintenance Required” message.

Back story: I did not become aware of this problem until several months after I bought my Rally used with about 2500 miles on it. As I became more comfortable with the ride and got more aggressive in corners, the problem became evident. I took it to a local dealer. The technician said everything was fine, sensors checked out, and he detected no problem. I suspect he simply did not push hard enough in corners. $170 thrown away. (I should have gotten the BUDS sooner.) I described the service bulletin to the service writer, but he was a bit smug and dismissed it. Sometime later I decided to apply the update kit myself. Problem solved.

steering update.jpg

20230601_171111.jpg

20230601_171105.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-05-2023 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

If the instructions link doesn't work go to https://instructions.brp.com/e-instruction.html#tab=1 and enter the kit part number.

Spyder Garage

Book marked, thank you DickB!

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Ironically I just dropped off my 2022 Sport to the dealer in Lakeland, Florida yesterday for that problem. Since new I never had any problems and mostly ride two-up. Then a month ago the wife and I loaded the ryker in our toy hauler and went to Maggie Valley, NO for a month of riding the mountains, fishing and visiting grandkids. Fishing and visiting was good. Riding the mountains was a NIGHTMARE. Never had a clue there was a problem. First uphill ride from Cherokee to Maggie Valley about dumped us off the road.

Turn left hard with the throttle open a bit going uphill and it feels like a flat rear tire. Jumping and grabbing and repeated with power loss, my dummy right hand held the throttle open. Damnable bike straightened and full power came on in a thrust to throw us off the road. What the hell was that?

Repeated tests always on left-handers had me discovering how to control the mess. Downhill with little throttle was bad with all that rear thrusting and jumping but other than slowing and rough, no issue out of control. Just do not add on any throttle. Level turns had to be no throttle when straightened or trouble and near loss of control. Up hill was very dangerous unless you turned off the throttle until after straitened out. Horrible loss of speed in left hand turns was its' own danger.

Right turns can be full power and fun. Left turns ruined the ride and kept me awake to minimize the damage. We really did come close to getting thrown off the bike and off the road until I figured it out. Unfortunately, here was no cure for the entire month of our riding. Here we are on the "Dragon" going at good speed straight or right. You need a death grip and slow speed for turning left.

4119921.jpg

Dealer in Lakeland seemed cooperative. Their tech listened to the problem. He had ideas but no solution as they never heard of this issue. I left the bike. After i got home I found this thread and tried to get them a picture of the solution. Service advisor said his tech would take care of it and he declined a copy of this solution. Now my bike is a 2022 yet it is doing it horribly bad.

Waiting a week now to see if they have a solution. Bad thing is I will not be able to check as there are no tight turns and hills here in Florida. Will not know until next year on another trip to North Carolina. If not fixed I am selling the Ryker. Too dangerous on left hand turns to deal with that for another vacation trip. Thanks for putting out the solution.

Spyder Garage

I can’t make rhyme nor reason of it. We’re nearly 7000 miles into a trip through the Canadian Rockies and along the way I’ve taken every kind of left hand curve you can imagine with nary a bobble until yesterday when it acted up on two very ordinary left hand curves in a row.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Ironically I just dropped off my 2022 Sport to the dealer in Lakeland, Florida yesterday for that problem. Since new I never had any problems and mostly ride two-up. Then a month ago the wife and I loaded the ryker in our toy hauler and went to Maggie Valley, NO for a month of riding the mountains, fishing and visiting grandkids. Fishing and visiting was good. Riding the mountains was a NIGHTMARE. Never had a clue there was a problem. First uphill ride from Cherokee to Maggie Valley about dumped us off the road.

Turn left hard with the throttle open a bit going uphill and it feels like a flat rear tire. Jumping and grabbing and repeated with power loss, my dummy right hand held the throttle open. Damnable bike straightened and full power came on in a thrust to throw us off the road. What the hell was that?

Repeated tests always on left-handers had me discovering how to control the mess. Downhill with little throttle was bad with all that rear thrusting and jumping but other than slowing and rough, no issue out of control. Just do not add on any throttle. Level turns had to be no throttle when straightened or trouble and near loss of control. Up hill was very dangerous unless you turned off the throttle until after straitened out. Horrible loss of speed in left hand turns was its' own danger.

Right turns can be full power and fun. Left turns ruined the ride and kept me awake to minimize the damage. We really did come close to getting thrown off the bike and off the road until I figured it out. Unfortunately, here was no cure for the entire month of our riding. Here we are on the "Dragon" going at good speed straight or right. You need a death grip and slow speed for turning left.

4119921.jpg

Dealer in Lakeland seemed cooperative. Their tech listened to the problem. He had ideas but no solution as they never heard of this issue. I left the bike. After i got home I found this thread and tried to get them a picture of the solution. Service advisor said his tech would take care of it and he declined a copy of this solution. Now my bike is a 2022 yet it is doing it horribly bad.

Waiting a week now to see if they have a solution. Bad thing is I will not be able to check as there are no tight turns and hills here in Florida. Will not know until next year on another trip to North Carolina. If not fixed I am selling the Ryker. Too dangerous on left hand turns to deal with that for another vacation trip. Thanks for putting out the solution.
    " no tight turns in Fla. " ..... go to a large parking lot, when there arn't a lot of cars and make some tight turns ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't do cities and parking garages are in cities. Possibly a good idea.

$200 later and the dealer did create the left turn issue. With the left footage down the stability control engages, a VSS icon blinks and power is reduced. They reset longitudinal sensor and SAS (whatever that is). When I picked it up the service guy told me the 'magnet is on the left passenger footage". To me that means if I eliminated that the problem would be gone. Now going to do a post on that very issue.

Spyder Garage

SAS is Steering Angle Sensor.

While the left turn bias was eliminated with the steering upgrade kit, my Ryker was still acting wonky on some turns, with stability control kicking in too soon. I connected the BUDS which showed that the SAS was off by 5 degrees although I had reset (zeroed) it. So I reset it again. Still acting wonky on a subsequent ride. Checked SAS and it was off again. Bad SAS? Another clue was that the turn signal would not cancel on most turns - the SAS is used to determine this. I replaced the SAS with a used one - Can Am is pretty proud of these based on their asking price - zeroed it, and the wonkiness is gone. I hope for good.

Best of luck with your dealer. BTW I am in Lake Placid FL.

Without the BUDS, I would have been unable to tell if the SAS reading was off. I'm sure it would have taken at least 2 trips to the dealer, and probably more, to determine that the SAS was faulty and install a replacement. Makes me feel better about spending the high cost of a BUDS.

Spyder Garage

I don’t know, my bike doesn’t even have passenger pegs.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Could your wires in your left fender be rubbing on the tires?

Spyder Garage

I zip ties the wiring myself and it was double checked when the dealer completed the recall.
    According to the talk on FB, it's something to do with the YAW sensor.I wish we could get it figured out for good.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    I zip ties the wiring myself and it was double checked when the dealer completed the recall.
    According to the talk on FB, it's something to do with the YAW sensor.I wish we could get it figured out for good.

Sarah
    In my case it was a combination of installing the update kit and replacing a faulty SAS, so I would consider those in addition to the yaw sensor.

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for posting up the details, DickB

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    SAS is Steering Angle Sensor.
    Bad SAS? Another clue was that the turn signal would not cancel on most turns - the SAS is used to determine this. I replaced the SAS with a used one - Can Am is pretty proud of these based on their asking price - zeroed it, and the wonkiness is gone. I hope for good.

Best of luck with your dealer. BTW I am in Lake Placid FL.
    That comment about the turn signal not always trying off woke up a "ghost" in me. Before I left on the mountain trip I started to have turn signal issues. Just turned it off and forgot about it. Just might be a signal of SAS trouble.

Going to ride the Ryker later today for the first time since I removed the magnet and got struck down with Covid. Feeling bad, so is the wife, but good enough to try and ride. Will be watching for any turn signal issues.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-09-2023 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captainmal View Post
    Going to ride the Ryker later today for the first time since I removed the magnet and got struck down with Covid. Feeling bad, so is the wife, but good enough to try and ride. Will be watching for any turn signal issues.
    Looks like you're about an hour and a half from me. Stop by we can check/reset the SAS with BUDS2.

Spyder Garage

It's been about a month since I replaced the faulty SAS after having installed the Steering Update Kit. My Ryker has been performing as it should, with stability control kicking in only on very tight aggressive turns. No more left turn bias, and no hint of it on the left turn to my house that always caused problems. Looks like my problem has indeed been fixed.

Spyder Garage

It's been about a month since I replaced the faulty SAS after having installed the Steering Update Kit. My Ryker has been performing as it should, with stability control kicking in only on very tight aggressive turns. No more left turn bias, and no hint of it on the left turn to my house that always caused problems. Looks like my problem has indeed been fixed.
    Good to hear, glad you finally got it sorted.

Spyder Garage

That's good to hear, DickB! Are you for hire?

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greer View Post
    That's good to hear, DickB! Are you for hire?

Sarah
    Are you up for a road trip to Florida?

Spyder Garage

Well.....Ought to tackle it here at home first I reckon. I bought the extended warranty (thanks again to this group) so that's where I'll start. I've read so much about dealership run around and wasted time that I'm dreading the thought. Thanks again, DickB.

Sarah
    2022 Ryker Sport

Spyder Garage

Great Job on the fix, and thanks for sharing your experience, DickB! I am having the same issue, no codes and wobble during left turn. I am from Northern CA and do lots of mountain twisties. I bought 2019 Ryker with 900 miles on it and have a love hate relationship with it. I replaced the rear drive shaft at 1500 miles, I have the dreaded fuel pump whine noise at 3000 miles and now the left wobble at 5400 miles. I do ride it hard but it's ridiculous having to deal with so many issues with very little miles on it. I am very handy with tools so I plan to repair myself. I ordered the noise dampening kit and the steering kit and plan to buy the buds2. I was hoping you would share the web link of where you purchased it from. Also, is your Ryker still running strong with no nanny issue. Thanks again.

Spyder Garage

I got it here:

https://www.powersports-diag.com/rem...xoC2KsQAvD_BwE

They have a discount this month - 2nd year license free (same deal I got).

No further issues; wobble is gone.