Spyder Garage

Default Getting P0406 code on my 2016 RTL - anyone else? Any ideas?

Went for a ride today, ran good until I stopped to eat. Got back on, bike started up, took off & started losing power. Wouldn't run at about 25mph. Pulled over, topped off the tank, and it ran good for the rest of the way home. Checked for codes, I have a P0406, no limp home mode, no light came on. Fuel filter changed about 2 months ago and have been running some chem tool cleaner. It has never done this before, never has had a lot of power, but never this bad. For the P0406 code, the best I can find is for EGR valve. I checked all the parts fiche but don't see an EGR valve on it. Anyone had this problem. Mine is a 2016 RTL.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... + Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by helton61 View Post
    Went for a ride today, ran good until I stopped to eat. Got back on, bike started up, took off & started losing power. Wouldn't run at about 25mph. Pulled over, topped off the tank, and it ran good for the rest of the way home. Checked for codes, I have a P0406, no limp home mode, no light came on. Fuel filter changed about 2 months ago and have been running some chem tool cleaner. It has never done this before, never has had a lot of power, but never this bad. For the P0406 code, the best I can find is for EGR valve. I checked all the parts fiche but don't see an EGR valve on it. Anyone had this problem. Mine is a 2016 RTL.

Spyder codes can't be Googled off the internet. It will come up wrong every time. But, I can't seem to find that code, anyway. You sure that's the correct number? But right now, what's your current status? Is everything clear and reset?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Spyder codes can't be Googled off the internet. It will come up wrong every time. But, I can't seem to find that code, anyway. You sure that's the correct number? But right now, what's your current status? Is everything clear and reset?
    Yes, clear and running ok. Yes, that is the code. Do you know if these have an EGR valve.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by helton61 View Post
    Yes, clear and running ok. Yes, that is the code. Do you know if these have an EGR valve.
    No EGR valve. No PCV valve. Only a Purge valve. So, the code is clear now, right? If so, keep riding.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

That code isn't in either list of codes that I have... It doesn't even show up in the Service Manual!
    Last edited by hypurone; 07-05-2023 at 11:50 AM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    That code isn't in either list of codes that I have...
    On cars it is for egr valve i am like you can't find anything can am related.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Smile

helton1 -- thanks for excellent history and symptom description. Few members provide sufficient information.

Based on your description I suspect you encountered a fuel shortage in the feed to your fuel rail.

When I changed my fuel filter some of the hoses were cracked and showing the cord. I replaced most of the hoses with fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps.

As you know there are two hoses to the gas tank -- high pressure supply and regulated pressure return. The supply feeds the rear end of the filter. The front end of the filter connects to a Y fitting where one leg feeds the fuel rail and the other feeds the return.

And as you know the removing and installing the filter and hoses isn't difficult but is a bit tricky and fussy.

My suggestion is to take off the bodywork and carefully examine everything from the gas tank to the fuel rail feed. Replace all hoses showing any signs of age (there are two sizes); ensure there is no crimping; and the Y fitting isn't cracked (check for leaks with engine running). Sometimes the inner lining of a hose can weaken, especially when old and especially when bent during service actions. The result is the inner lining separates from the cord and blocks the flow of fuel.

I notice you live in VA which gets summer temperatures like my CA so that too points me towards elderly hose issues just like my Spyder.

Best wishes getting your reliability back.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 07-05-2023 at 12:32 PM. Reason: clarified cause in 2nd sentence
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    helton1 -- thanks for excellent history and symptom description. Few members provide sufficient information.

Based on your description I suspect you encountered a fuel shortage in the feed to your fuel rail.

When I changed my fuel filter some of the hoses were cracked and showing the cord. I replaced most of the hoses with fuel injection hose and fuel injection clamps.

As you know there are two hoses to the gas tank -- high pressure supply and regulated pressure return. The supply feeds the rear end of the filter. The front end of the filter connects to a Y fitting where one leg feeds the fuel rail and the other feeds the return.

And as you know the removing and installing the filter and hoses isn't difficult but is a bit tricky and fussy.

My suggestion is to take off the bodywork and carefully examine everything from the gas tank to the fuel rail feed. Replace all hoses showing any signs of age (there are two sizes); ensure there is no crimping; and the Y fitting isn't cracked (check for leaks with engine running). Sometimes the inner lining of a hose can weaken, especially when old and especially when bent during service actions. The result is the inner lining separates from the cord and blocks the flow of fuel.

I notice you live in VA which gets summer temperatures like my CA so that too points me towards elderly hose issues just like my Spyder.

Best wishes getting your reliability back.
    Thanks for the advice i will check them out.