Spyder Garage

Default Rear axle doesn't/can't have a cotter pin - anyone else?

When removing my rear wheel yesterday I noticed it didn't have a cotter pin on the rear axle. This is a 23 RTL. When I got the axle off I looked closer and noticed the axle only had 1 hole drilled in it and not 2 like you would normally have to insert a cotter pin.

Anybody else seen/heard of this?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-04-2023 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Still had a castle nut, like would fit a cotter pin? have read some axles discovered not hollow & causing trouble installing trailer hitch.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:32 AM. Reason: sp & ' 's ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
    When removing my rear wheel yesterday I noticed it didn't have a cotter pin on the rear axle. This is a 23 RTL. When I got the axle off I looked closer and noticed the axle only had 1 hole drilled in it and not 2 like you would normally have to insert a cotter pin.

Anybody else seen/heard of this?
    Mine only has one hole, also. Looks like the way they are coming now. And besides, with a torque spec of 166 ft-lbs, what are the odds of ever needing that cotter pin? No mention of replacing the cotter pin in the shop manual either. Looks intentional.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-04-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Still had a castle nut, like would fit a cotter pin? have read some axles discovered not hollow & causing trouble installing trailer hitch.
    The axle nut is not a castle nut. Wasn’t on the 2012 either. The cotter pin was just there at the end of the axle. Didn’t even touch the nut. Just kept it from falling off, I guess. Only the trailer hitch nut is a castle nut. And then, the cotter pin goes through the trailer hitch bolt, which does have the holes.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

The newer Spyder don't come with a cotter pin anymore. I'm sure they just dropped it due to saving a few pennies per unit for an unnecessary and redundant part.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

I have seen more than a few axles that had no hole for the cotter key. Some aftermarket axles come without the holes.

Not a problem, the axles are not made from hardened metal. That would make them too brittle and they could possibly shatter with a hard landing.

Just torque the nuts down to specs, get out you little 3/8 drill, and make a hole to key them. The axle metal is easy to drill with any HSS drill bit.

Drill a hole and put your own key, or safety wire in it. The hole for the key will be outside the axle support points and not weaken the axle at all.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

COVID related supply chain issues changed the supplier for the axles on some machines. I'm not surprised it's different - and I wouldn't be concerned about not having the cotter pin either. As someone else mentioned one other unforeseen issue with this supplier change is that some machines are coming with axles where the center is not the same size as the original spec - the ones I've seen are hollow - just not a big enough diameter hollow - making the hitch install not possible. I know someone who had to wait months for a different axle to become available so he could get his hitch installed.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

When I made the attempt to do my tire this past Monday it was the first thing I noticed that there was no cotter pin.

Oh B.T.W. 2022 RT-L