Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Messing with a muffler

Last year I got my hands on a secondhand (almost) affordable S1R carbon fiber slip on muffler with a Can Am RT bracket. The darn thing was ear splitting LOUD. So, I went to work trying to calm it down a bit so I could hear my Sena headset, and still have the same performance and MPG. Here’s what I did. The previous owner(s) had obviously repacked the muffler and fractured the carbon fiber shell in a couple of places. Not too bad though. I drilled out the rivets and used a Dremel tool to cut off the damaged part of the housing. About a ½", not a biggie. Also had to shorten the baffle a ½”, if that’s what you’d want to call that thing. It does nothing but holds in the packing. Taking careful measurements of everything, diameter, length, and thickness, I ordered "can opener" style baffles to fit, and a 2Bros DB killer for the back end of the muffler. The DB killer kept the baffles from sliding out the back of the muffler. I had to order two different sized baffles because the front and rear of the muffler are now two different sized diameters. Now I had to cut and weld the two baffles to be the correct length to fit inside the muffler with no wiggle room. Everything I need I found on eBay at very little cost. Now to test it. Not loud but not that HD low rumble either. Just a hint of overlap on downshift and deceleration. Took a ride for 190 miles on the same loop as before with the same passenger and fueled up at the same gas pump. Got 40.5 MPG same as before. Didn’t test for acceleration because I don’t do that with a passenger. The modified 2Bros muffler weighed 6.5 lbs., and the stock muffler, 19 lbs. Now, if I’d just lost 12.5 lbs. myself, I wouldn’t have had to have done all that. LOL

Spyder Garage

The things people will do just to be heard. Keep your can opener handy you will need it again as soon as you rip it a few times.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Last year I got my hands on a secondhand (almost) affordable S1R carbon fiber slip on muffler with a Can Am RT bracket. The darn thing was ear splitting LOUD. So, I went to work trying to calm it down a bit so I could hear my Sena headset, and still have the same performance and MPG. Here’s what I did. The previous owner(s) had obviously repacked the muffler and fractured the carbon fiber shell in a couple of places. Not too bad though. I drilled out the rivets and used a Dremel tool to cut off the damaged part of the housing. About a ½", not a biggie. Also had to shorten the baffle a ½”, if that’s what you’d want to call that thing. It does nothing but holds in the packing. Taking careful measurements of everything, diameter, length, and thickness, I ordered "can opener" style baffles to fit, and a 2Bros DB killer for the back end of the muffler. The DB killer kept the baffles from sliding out the back of the muffler. I had to order two different sized baffles because the front and rear of the muffler are now two different sized diameters. Now I had to cut and weld the two baffles to be the correct length to fit inside the muffler with no wiggle room. Everything I need I found on eBay at very little cost. Now to test it. Not loud but not that HD low rumble either. Just a hint of overlap on downshift and deceleration. Took a ride for 190 miles on the same loop as before with the same passenger and fueled up at the same gas pump. Got 40.5 MPG same as before. Didn’t test for acceleration because I don’t do that with a passenger. The modified 2Bros muffler weighed 6.5 lbs., and the stock muffler, 19 lbs. Now, if I’d just lost 12.5 lbs. myself, I wouldn’t have had to have done all that. LOL
    Too bad you went to all that trouble, but it just re-inforces something that I have been saying for years. The BRP computer system that regulates the engine performance parameters will override any of the things you used to be able to do to Increase Performance. .... Today the Computer rules .... the Program needs to be adjusted / changed / re-mapped etc. to allow those things to work ...... it is fun to try tho ..... ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Too bad you went to all that trouble, but it just re-inforces something that I have been saying for years. The BRP computer system that regulates the engine performance parameters will override any of the things you used to be able to do to Increase Performance. .... Today the Computer rules .... the Program needs to be adjusted / changed / re-mapped etc. to allow those things to work ...... it is fun to try tho ..... ..... Mike
    Correct a mundo! The first shorter trip I took to get the computer to adjust itself was approx 100 miles, and I got 33 MPG. All my sustained speeds after that for the final results, were in and around 60 MPH or 3K RPM. My reason for all this was to see if I could change the exhaust note and do it successfully at a minimal cost. I do like that little deceleration overlap tone. I'm no longer into straight through pipes. Been there done with that.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    The things people will do just to be heard. Keep your can opener handy you will need it again as soon as you rip it a few times.
    For a lot of us, it is NOT about being heard. It is about having an exhaust note that we WANT to hear ourselves...

OP: Congrats on your endeavor! I went down a similar path getting my Akra/RLS system tweaked to just how I LOVE it!! ;-)

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic