Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default So that happened. Passed out from the heat.

So in the process of taking the rear tire off the heat caught up to me and i passed of and cracked my head off the ground.

I got a baseball size lump on my dome and a 20 gauge hole in my arm from the IV the E.M.S woman gave me to get some fluids back in my (yes I was drinking. )

I'm 100% positive I'm selling the trike, I'll be going back to 2 wheels either a Goldwing or that Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.

I never did get the tire done. So I'll be paying somebody after all.

Spyder Garage

Dang! I'm happy to hear it wasn't any worse.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Bugga! You OK? Apart from the lump & hole that is? No further concerns, visits to Dr's or ER required?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

At almost 84, I still do all the work on my '08 Spyder. I do it in my heated/AC garage so excessive heat is not a problem. I do not actually remove the tire from the rim but do remove the rear wheel. Recently did that to have a new Altimax tire put on rim. Removed wheel ok, had tire installed and was installing the wheel back into the Spyder.
    I got so tired I just keeled over onto the garage floor (carpeted with a used piece from the house). My wife passed away 2 yrs ago so I had no one to shout for. After a while I was able to get onto my knees, grab a cabinet & eventually get upright. Staggered upstairs & lay down.

I now always keep a flip phone in a trouser pocket to summon help if I need it. Can't do the things I used to do but still think I can. Grrrr.

Glad you did not have a concussion.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    I now always keep a flip phone in a trouser pocket to summon help if I need it. Can't do the things I used to do but still think I can. Grrrr.
    I hear ya. I’m 80 and have a terrible time getting up off the floor into the upright position. I ALWAYS make sure my phone is WITHIN my reach when I’m in the garage or out riding!
    Last edited by bigbadbrucie; 07-03-2023 at 11:24 AM.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

I live in an area that is known for high heat.(116 on my back porch yesterday), Water is good, but what you need is Gatorade, I prefer Zero Sugar.
    Going to 2 wheels, you even need it more in Hot weather.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that. Are you sure you want a 2-wheeler if you have that tendency? The Spyder is MUCH safer.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    So in the process of taking the rear tire off the heat caught up to me and i passed of and cracked my head off the ground.

I got a baseball size lump on my dome and a 20 gauge hole in my arm from the IV the E.M.S woman gave me to get some fluids back in my (yes I was drinking. )

I'm 100% positive I'm selling the trike, I'll be going back to 2 wheels either a Goldwing or that Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager.

Sorry to hear about your issue, hope all is well now!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

OK so instead of quoting a bunce of post.

I seem fine just a bad headache that is subsiding.

I was drinking Gatorade.

As for the heat I can do 3-4 mile walk no issues it was the getting up and down repeatedly.

In hindsight I should have skipped my gym workout this morning knowing I was going to be working in 90+ degree temps.

I found this GW and will go look at Wednesday as everything is closed today and tomorrow.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...lue-5026696565

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear & now has happened unfortunately you will be more susceptible to it happening again hopefully will be more aware & cautious of the physical sensations. Glad still ok gonna ride.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Looks like a sweet ride.

If I were able I would still be riding my 09 Blue Majic.
    Lake Gunn Kiwiland.
    lk gunn wqing .jpg
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey, take it a little easier man! Your earlier post showed me that you shouldn't have been attempting that. It's time to start paying someone else to do that for you. I have to agree with UtahPete here, stay with 3 wheels, and don't go back to 2 wheels. The writing is on the wall, 2 wheels is not for you anymore. Make the rest of your time here safer and longer. Good luck.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK so instead of quoting a bunce of post.

I seem fine just a bad headache that is subsiding.

I was drinking Gatorade.

As for the heat I can do 3-4 mile walk no issues it was the getting up and down repeatedly.

In hindsight I should have skipped my gym workout this morning knowing I was going to be working in 90+ degree temps.

I found this GW and will go look at Wednesday as everything is closed today and tomorrow.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...lue-5026696565
    Glad that you are doing better. Wife and I went for a ride to check on one of our houses Saturday. It got pretty hot during our 275 mile round trip. I continued to tell her to drink water and stay hydrated, but she refused. When we got back home, she regretted not doing as I had asked.
    On another note, did this incident bring upon the idea to go back to 2 wheels, or have you been considering it for a while? I looked at the same type of goldwing before I picked up my 2018 BMW K1600B. But the honda dealership in my area was just too hard to work with. They ignored me at first, and then offered me the same model goldwing as my BMW for $7,000 more and it had more miles, less mods, and was not in as good a shape. Too bad for them, but I really wanted to give the goldwing a try.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I think maybe I understand? Are the pro mechanics for the Honda or Kawasaki more available and more competent?
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Geesh. Glad it didn't happen while you were riding!
    Be careful out there, folks. That heat can sneak up on you.
    Just a little note...start hydrating before you think you need it.
    Water is great, but you also need to replace electrolytes.
    Hopefully, you get a good deal on your next ride. Goldwings are lovely.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Glad that you are doing better. Wife and I went for a ride to check on one of our houses Saturday. It got pretty hot during our 275 mile round trip. I continued to tell her to drink water and stay hydrated, but she refused. When we got back home, she regretted not doing as I had asked.
    On another note, did this incident bring upon the idea to go back to 2 wheels, or have you been considering it for a while? I looked at the same type of goldwing before I picked up my 2018 BMW K1600B. But the honda dealership in my area was just too hard to work with. They ignored me at first, and then offered me the same model goldwing as my BMW for $7,000 more and it had more miles, less mods, and was not in as good a shape. Too bad for them, but I really wanted to give the goldwing a try.
    The regret started on the ride home from the dealer when I could barley keep it in my lane, then the tire every 8K lack of adjustability on just about every aspect of the trike from floor boards to handle bars and grips and brake pedal, I wont even get into joke of an information center and the BRP APP, then toss in the crap dealer net work for me it's just a boiling cauldron of dismay over my decision to buy into allure of a spYder.

Even the after market is lacking, it's getting there but has a long long long way to go before it catches up with the likes of Harley/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/BMW/Suzuki.

Spyder Garage

Oh wow hope you're ok. Oddly enough I've been in the Texas heat all day in my garage removing my rear tire as well and replacing the rear shock. Tire is out getting put on now...doubt I'll put it back on until it cools off some tonight or the morning.

Spyder Garage

The regret started on the ride home from the dealer when I could barley keep it in my lane, then the tire every 8K lack of adjustability on just about every aspect of the trike from floor boards to handle bars and grips and brake pedal, I wont even get into joke of an information center and the BRP APP, then toss in the crap dealer net work for me it's just a boiling cauldron of dismay over my decision to buy into allure of a spYder.

Even the after market is lacking, it's getting there but has a long long long way to go before it catches up with the likes of Harley/Honda/Kawasaki/Yamaha/BMW/Suzuki.

When new, even a lot of cars tend to wander - especially on grooved concrete. It takes tires 300-400 miles or so to break in. Having said that, I got rid of all wandering after installing a sway bar and car tires. How many miles did you get put on your Spyder so far?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    I think maybe I understand? Are the pro mechanics for the Honda or Kawasaki more available and more competent?
    Yep there's a factory trained Honda/Kawasaki mechanic on RT-41 in Ruskin FL. He owns his own shop.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by javajaws View Post
    When new, even a lot of cars tend to wander - especially on grooved concrete. It takes tires 300-400 miles or so to break in. Having said that, I got rid of all wandering after installing a sway bar and car tires. How many miles did you get put on your Spyder so far?
    10k in 9 months of ownership and my tire is down to the cord.

Did the sway bar last month.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Geesh. Glad it didn't happen while you were riding!
    Be careful out there, folks. That heat can sneak up on you.
    Just a little note...start hydrating before you think you need it.
    Water is great, but you also need to replace electrolytes.
    Hopefully, you get a good deal on your next ride. Goldwings are lovely.
    this happened solely on 2 things.

1- I spent 90 minutes in the gym/ 40 minutes cardio an 50 minutes lifting.

2- showered came up guzzled 60 Oz water Gatorade combo.

went out side gathered up tools place jack got up moved jack rinse repeat about 7 times mind you heat index was already 110°

now I'm light headed and go to lay on the ground and made it in record time BOOM. the rest is history. OH and I walk to the gym it's 2.25 miles one way.

Current weather is

due point | 77°
    97 °F
    LIKE 114°

Partly Cloudy

N7

Spyder Garage

I share your thoughts. My 2014 RTL was sold one week after the warranty expired for the same reasons you stated here. I went back to riding my 2 wheel Goldwing for one season. After being on 3 for a few years, I found my skill level, balance, strength, etc. was not what I remembered. I was cautious enough to not crash or dump the bike. But I just wasn't as comfortable as I thought I should be. So after a LOT of research and soul searching, I became the new owner of a Goldwing/California Sidecar Trike. For me, It was the right move at a time when I was not ready to give up riding. I know there are some in the Spyder world who say a traditional trike is not nearly as stable as a Spyder. And maybe some aren't. But I don't share that opinion. My CSC with IRS is every bit as stable as my Spyder was. In fact, I am MORE comfortable and confident in aggressive riding than I EVER was on my Spyder. So, after over 40 years riding 2 and 3 wheels, I would never go back to a Spyder or 2 wheeler. Something to think about. Good luck in whatever you do...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

10k in 9 months of ownership and my tire is down to the cord.

Did the sway bar last month.
    Slice, was that the 2022's stock Kenda tire that bared itself that quickly? 10k miles to cords is what each of my original Kenda rear tires did, my General Altimax on my 13 still looked new after 24k. (PS, I'm a heavy 260lbs so expect to wear rear tires a bit faster than most healthy folks....)
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DGoebel View Post
    Slice, was that the 2022's stock Kenda tire that bared itself that quickly? 10k miles to cords is what each of my original Kenda rear tires did, my General Altimax on my 13 still looked new after 24k. (PS, I'm a heavy 260lbs so expect to wear rear tires a bit faster than most healthy folks....)
    Yep stock tire and I weigh in at 247 Lbs.

Spyder Garage

It is not just the heat. You have to be acclimatized to the heat or it will get you. I was born in Florida. Never had a problem with the heat. Only time I ever left Florida, for any amount of time was for military service, and I was in places hotter than here most of the time. Even though I have always lived here, I know I am a lot older now, and I slow down in the hottest months of the summer. Slowed down so much today, they we fired up the grill at noon, and baked tortilla pizzas on a big, flat cast iron griddle, with charcoal. Then I took a nap. Works for me. You got to stay hydrated, got to replace the salt you lose, and got to slow down when it gets up in the triple digits. The middle of June, until the middle of August, is the hottest time here. Some "so-called" expert, or some health reporter, working in an air conditioned office, is going to tell you you don't need the extra salt intake when you sweat a lot. I don't believe them. Your body will know you need more salt.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver