Spyder Garage

Default A part fell off the bottom of the bike (catalytic bushing)

While loading my spider onto a trailer today I heard a bit of a thump. When I got off to look under the bike this part was sitting on the trailer.

It's about an inch and 3/8 in diameter and about 5/8 thick. Looks kind of like a bushing but I couldn't figure out where it came off.

2019 Spyder RT LS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ClayJ; 07-01-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Add model

Spyder Garage

Did you bottom out while loading on trailer? Also check bottom of frunk should be a drain plug possibly similar size(should been protected by frame & other -just the only other place aware of similar parts)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Oh yes , I know that part well. It is one of the "biscuits" that form the hangers for the catalytic converter. Two front and two rear. First question is: Do you even have a cat converter? Or has it been bypassed? If bypassed, throw the biscuit in the trunk and forget about it. If you do have a converter, you need to figure out a safe way to raise the motorcycle but leave the converter visible. I say that because the natural place to put a motorcycle jack covers under the converter and leaves you unable to see. Once you can see, you can strategize a way to get the biscuit back in. A little emblem cement around the edge will prevent future misadventures.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

I must have bottomed out. Yes, the bike still has the cat.

Do I dare ride with it missing? I leave in the morning for a week around Rushmore.

FYI I was loading onto a stinger trailer which has a very low ramp angle and barely felt anything as it loaded.

Spyder Garage

As it is one of four, I would replace it at your convenience. Up that way, you can probably even find someone to help you.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    I must have bottomed out. Yes, the bike still has the cat.

Do I dare ride with it missing? I leave in the morning for a week around Rushmore.

FYI I was loading onto a stinger trailer which has a very low ramp angle and barely felt anything as it loaded.
    The bigger question is, what else may be missing, damaged, from the hit? I would definitely get an eyeball on the hangers, springs, etc., before going any distance. Might be no big deal. But without looking, you won't know. You don't want the cat or other exhaust components missing suspension parts and hanging down. They are already pretty low.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I crawled all around under there and can only see the two at the front of the converter. They don't look great, and there's still two of them up there.

Everything else looks really good, springs are all in place and just a couple of very small scrapes on the bottom of the converter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ClayJ View Post
    I crawled all around under there and can only see the two at the front of the converter. They don't look great, and there's still two of them up there.

Everything else looks really good, springs are all in place and just a couple of very small scrapes on the bottom of the converter.
    Hiya Clay !
    From the picture it looks like the top one is not in position and about to slip out aswell. Looks like it will rest on the pin there, but you might have some rattle later on if it does.
    Brgds Martin

First Spyder: RS 2008 Yellow&Black - Current: 2012 Spyder RTS Magnesium, bought new from dealer in 2015.

Spyder Garage

NorwegianRT is right. The biscuit at the top of your picture is on its way out. It should be flush with the sheet-metal piece. With one out and one going, it's time to do something promptly.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"