Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Should I be worried about this Front sprocket alignment?

Just had the front sprocket recall done at my dealer, along with new rear tire on my 2018 RTL. Belt is touching OUTSIDE flange on front sprocket and INSIDE flange on rear sprocket. I drove it back there today, pointing out that the owners manual says that the belt should not touch EITHER flange on the front. They re-checked it, and said it was good. Got it home and it is still the same condition.
    Should I be worried, or do I trust the dealer? (never used this dealer)
    0628231726.jpg
    0629231421.jpg
    Last edited by SpyderManTom; 06-29-2023 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Trust the dealer? That's a tough nut.

Outside of the front and inside on the rear. Not much you can do other than space the pulley farther from the engine case.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-01-2023 at 02:10 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Trust is earned. Hopefully you will be ok just maybe for peace of mind; document-date/times/mileages/conversations(with names)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

They said that the recall kit included a washer - I just hope they put it on the correct side.

Spyder Garage

Pulled due to 'Bad Advise' issue.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-01-2023 at 02:10 PM. Reason: s ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    By Jove! I think you've got it! I just glanced at the pictures for belt alignment. But there should be nothing between the flanged bolt and the pulley. Get them to put the washer on the correct (back) side and I'd say you'll be golden! That is if the install hasn't already done damage to the belt.

I apologize for not seeing this at first look. It's been a long week.
    AND make sure they use the appropriate Locktite on the shaft splines per the recall documentation AND ALSO allow it to cure per the Loctite instructions!

No Loctite on the splines &/or No curing time will reduce if not completely negate any chance the recall sprocket has of doing the job properly and lasting!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    AND make sure they use the appropriate Locktite on the shaft splines per the recall documentation AND ALSO allow it to cure per the Loctite instructions!

No Loctite on the splines &/or No curing time will reduce if not completely negate any chance the recall sprocket has of doing the job properly and lasting!
    It is my experience that dealers are not allowing for the correct cure time in at least some cases. And you're right, that is a very important component to the fix.

Spyder Garage

Himm Learnt something.

How long is the recommended cure time?
    Stand down found it.

Blue 243.jpg

Green BR 648.jpg

Red 263.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-29-2023 at 11:35 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I just wish I could find a schematic that shows the proper relationship of washer and pulley. Then I could show the guy at the dealership. (They are primarily a Harley dealer - based on what I saw while waiting, they only do a few Can Am service jobs amongst all the Harleys)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderManTom View Post
    I just wish I could find a schematic that shows the proper relationship of washer and pulley. Then I could show the guy at the dealership. (They are primarily a Harley dealer - based on what I saw while waiting, they only do a few Can Am service jobs amongst all the Harleys)
    The washer is meant to go between the crankcase seal and the pulley (ie, on the MOTOR side of the pulley); then the pulley that's 'glued onto the shaft' with Locktite & cured for whatever the necessary time is that's detailed in the instructions for whichever spec Locktite they've used; then the last bit to go on is the bolt, WITHOUT a washer underneath it & between its head & the pulley....

I haven't looked tonight, but IIRC this is all fairly clearly laid out for any reasonably competent tech to follow in the recall instructions, so it shouldn't really be too hard for said 'reasonably competent tech' to get it right, but I guess that might be at least a part of the issue here - is the tech &/or any of the tech's supervisors reasonably competent!?!

Mind you, looking at that pic a little closer, I wonder if they've even put the pulley on the right way round - again, I haven't checked tonight, but IIRC the THICKER flange on the front pulley is the one that's meant to go IN, closest to the crankcase, and it's the one with the 'new' machined face that's meant to match up with the newly included washer that goes between the crankcase & the pulley.... and it looks awfully much like the thicker flange on the pulley in the pic is on the OUTSIDE! Still, it is very hard to see clearly in the pic, especially on this small screen device I'm using atm.... So maybe this is all just conjecture & an inability to clearly see the pic?!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 07:37 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Well, here’s the bulletin with installation instructions and pictures. NHTSA usually has this stuff - search by vehicle. The flanged bolt is correct. Your picture shows a bit extra thickness underneath, that could be the washer, or not. Perhaps you can get a better camera angle on it. And yes, the sprocket has an inside and an outside.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf

But, here’s what a brand new spyder sprocket looks like. They should be the same. It looks just as thick under the bolt as yours and it’s part of the sprocket - all one piece. Maybe take a breath.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 06-30-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Default Belt alignment

Belt alignment - even when you get this resolved, you may not get alignment on both front and back. My owners manual has that same admonition about the front sprocket flange, but the service manual is silent on the front sprocket. It is only concerned about the rear sprocket. I think the overall fleet experience has shown that you can’t get both. I couldn’t. The rear sprocket is priority.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Just had the front sprocket recall done at my dealer, along with new rear tire on my 2018 RTL. Belt is touching OUTSIDE flange on front sprocket and INSIDE flange on rear sprocket. I drove it back there today, pointing out that the owners manual says that the belt should not touch EITHER flange on the front. They re-checked it, and said it was good. Got it home and it is still the same condition.
    Should I be worried, or do I trust the dealer? (never used this dealer)
    0628231726.jpg
    0629231421.jpg
    Give us all a better picture of the face of your front sprocket so we can put this to bed!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Spacer definitely goes on the inside of the current pulley 'Fix' install.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-01-2023 at 02:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

Well Ron I would say if I had to bet, the reasoning is in the tooling to set up a new pulley! Myself, I haven't had one of these new pulleys in my hand to compare with the old style, but maybe they had a few old pulleys that went into the heat treatment over again and repainted hoping to save money, you know how they like to do that sort of thing! And when they came up with the magic bullet they just kept on production! As far as the OP's first post, there isn't a great view of his whole face of that sprocket to really make a call on weather that shims in the right spot, thats why I asked for a better picture! But, Yes I totally agree with your thoughts on a wider sprocket, and a tighter back block assembly in the rear so those darn adjusting screws would not have so much room to slop around and give you the false sense that when you tighten the axle nut up your adjustment would stay where you put it, sort of like the adjusters on a two wheeler, both side hard to the frame, no slop!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Pulled. See Post #5.

Spyder Garage

Did you see snowbelts picture of his spyder it looks a lot like the picture your going by, and I would trust that man, that his is right. Sorry

Agree to disagree, Mr. Clouseau
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Any chance of posting up those fitting instructions at all Ron?
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Pulled. See Post #5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Any chance of posting up those fitting instructions at all Ron?
    My post #11. (Maybe I’m writing with invisible ink?)

Doug

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    My post #11. (Maybe I’m writing with invisible ink?)
    Thanks.
    Missed it.

Here’s the bulletin with installation instructions and pictures. ( again for Luddites)

The link

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...2V352-1338.pdf
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-30-2023 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Fixed Link ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

when I had wife '19 F3L final fix pulley done. Took about an hour an they said ready to go. I asked if there was a cure time an they said no. She got on her spyder an I got on mine and away we went for home. 4 hrs latter we got home. I'l have to go out an check to see how the pulley an washer look. Hope it s right. I got called 2 days ago about my drain plug that the tool hole was stripped out. The 20th July I take it to dealer an they going change it out. waste of a full day. But lots of seenery to see along the way so it be a nice ride.

Spyder Garage

Here are more pics as it is right now…
    Inside…

IMG_8227.jpg

IMG_8229.jpg

And some on outside…

IMG_8233.jpg

IMG_8234.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

I’m wondering if he installed it wrong side out.
    Wadda ya think folks?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2023 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no looks good to go

Spyder Garage

Tom, I think picture 5 makes it absolutely clear that the extended area is all part of the sprocket, and not the washer installed in the wrong place. I think that it’s also clear, that your sprocket looks just like mine, which is brand new out of the crate. It’s not installed backwards. The instructions say the "chamfered" side goes inside. It doesn't use the wording "thicker flange", as you were told in one of the posts. Don’t know what else I can say. Your rear sprocket alignment looks good, your front sprocket looks good, and your belt alignment on both sprockets is pretty much identical to mine. And fatboy also agrees. Ron has pulled his other posts after reconsidering. Honestly, I think that the only problem here was that misleading statement in the owners manual, which is not supported by the shop manual, and some advice that wasn't exactly accurate. So, I hope you can rest easy. Have a good riding holiday.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 07-01-2023 at 06:06 PM.

Doug