Spyder Garage

Default Will there be enough room in a 6' x 10' Trailer to tie down RT?

22 RTL
    Looking to get a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. I've seen posts that say it will fit. But is there enought room with the Spyder loaded to get around to for tie down straps to be attached to it and the floor? I'm a big guy and concerned about that.

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

You might want to measure the ramp opening width on the 6 x 10. After measuring several, I found out that some were not wide enough and one only had 1/2 in clearance on each side of the wheels. I went with a 7 x 12. This size gives enough clearance to get around to tie down my RTL.
    I also went with two axles for better stability and braking and rear pull down jacks so I can load and unload while not being hooked up to the truck.
    Adj removable backrest, KOTT radiator screens
    Double horn (118db), Lamonster mirror fix
    tender plug in, luggage liner/bags, FOBO 2
    Drinks2go cup holder, replaced the seat strut
    Garmin DriveSmart 71 GPS, Garmin BC 30 backup camera.
    White pulley, Pedal Commander
    Laminar Lip- looks fonky but works.
    J&M 2003 CB installed
    Home made belt guard
    7x12 enclosed trailer

2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic

Skip H.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

with Skip .... Critical points are the Ramp WIDTH and width between the WHEEL WELLS .... if you load backwards there's not any issue with the wells. ... I had a Toyota pick-up ... made a flatbed and put a box on top .... very Steep ramp .... I used 24G ga. sheet metal that I put nail indentations on for Traction purposes for the rear tire. .... I actually loaded in the pouring rain, and it never slipped ..... also, only use one Rachet strap over the rear tire to hold the Spyder down. ... I did chock the front tires .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had one, the ramp was wide enough, but the cables brackets and cables that lifted the door were too narrow.

I sold it and am looking for something a little wider.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    22 RTL
    Looking to get a 6x10 enclosed cargo trailer. I've seen posts that say it will fit. But is there enought room with the Spyder loaded to get around to for tie down straps to be attached to it and the floor? I'm a big guy and concerned about that.

Thanks
    I'd get one with an access door up front. Most of the v-nose trailers have that. Also, install a winch to pull it in. Good luck.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I think you will be sorry if you don't get a trailer that is at least 6' wide and 12' wide. You'll have lots of "stuff" you may want to put next to or behind the Spyder.
    We love our Big Tex SA35 single axle trailer. Tows great too!!
    Big Tex with Spyder.jpg Big Tex 6X12.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:40 AM. Reason: .
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I have a 7’x12’ enclosed trailer with a V-nose. I think 6’ x 10’ would be awfully tight especially when trying to tie it down. With 7’x12’ I am able to carefully walk around the Spyder without climbing. An added bonus, the V-nose 7’x12’ allows for storage of our riding gear, built in shelves and carrying other items, oil, gas can, cleaners, spare tire, telescope, etc..

2019 RTL
    2019 RTL , Blue

Spyder Garage

I agree with jchadwi above that 7 foot wide is much better for access around the Spyder once you get it into the trailer. Note that most trailer widths are quoted to the outside of the walls. I bought a 7x14 with tandem wheels and I'm very pleased. Tandem axles are not really needed for this small trailer with the light load, but towing is much more stable and they are much more controllable in the event of a blowout. Ask me how I know. Tandems are also less sensitive to getting tongue weight exactly right to prevent sway.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yea, I think you'll hate yourself if you get a 6'x10' trailer for 5 1/2'x8' spyder. If you do and you can get it in the trailer at least you won't have to tie it down because there's not enough room for it to go anywhere. Lots of good advice in the above posts.

Spyder Garage

I had to get a 7x12 in the brand I have. 20230411_110523.jpg
    Last edited by ES44AC; 06-30-2023 at 08:45 PM.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I use a 7x14 with tandem axles and a Vee nose with a front access door. I have room to move around the Spyder keep other Spyder related gear and equipt. in there. I was not very much more than a 7X12.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 03:33 AM. Reason: axel... ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

i have a 6X12 covered single axle. no problems for me. the wheels are outside of the box so no wheel wells. measure the opening size as you will need 51 inches to get it in there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JesseT View Post
    i have a 6X12 covered single axle. no problems for me. the wheels are outside of the box so no wheel wells. measure the opening size as you will need 51 inches to get it in there.
    Have NO Idea what opening your talking about with only 51 inches!...Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"