Spyder Garage

Default Front Sproket - recall or wear and tear?

Recall Notice: Front Sprocket Wear - Potential Loss of Propulsion
    Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

I have a 2019 RT - When this notice came through, I checked and my VIN was not involved.

How many miles would be considered "wear and tear"?
    I completed a cross country ride (8800 miles) with a rattle in the front. CanAm dealer immediately mention Front Sproket/recall. As I said, my VIN was not involved. However, they are now replacing the front sproket and bolt.

I now have 45000 miles on the RT - and the comment was "not many people put on those kind of miles, this is wear and tear"
    I know that in my group, they don't ride that kind of mileage, but - - -

Hence this question: at 45K is it wear and tear or should I push about the recall.

Thank you

FB_IMG_1687445539801.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

push the recall

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    push the recall
    .... Because this part has been identified as having problems ( hence the RE-CALL ) BRP is looking at the Money it's going to cost them ( because the parts & labor are covered by the Re-Call ) ..... They know they are going to be required to replace the Sprockets on the later year Spyders, but they are waiting till the Govt. forces them too ..... Does your Sprocket have the Red Dust ????? ...... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABCtriker View Post
    Recall Notice: Front Sprocket Wear - Potential Loss of Propulsion
    Certain 2015 to 2019 Can-Am® Spyder RT and F3 vehicles

I have a 2019 RT - When this notice came through, I checked and my VIN was not involved.

How many miles would be considered "wear and tear"?
    I completed a cross country ride (8800 miles) with a rattle in the front. CanAm dealer immediately mention Front Sproket/recall. As I said, my VIN was not involved. However, they are now replacing the front sproket and bolt.

I now have 45000 miles on the RT - and the comment was "not many people put on those kind of miles, this is wear and tear"
    I know that in my group, they don't ride that kind of mileage, but - - -

Hence this question: at 45K is it wear and tear or should I push about the recall.

Thank you

FB_IMG_1687445539801.jpg
    They did not change the sprocket mid-19 - the fact that the later 19's and up are not under the recall has always fascinated me. To date there are only 3 sprockets for the 1330s - the original black which was stock on all 1330s for years - then the white which was painted and said to quiet down the "whine/whistle" some heard. Then the new Silver Recall one.

I'd be curious what your bike had - the original black or the white - but both are being replaced under the recall if the bike is in the recall list - which is why it's so odd they aren't including the newer ones (yet).

So - what color was your sprocket? Do you have any red dust?

45k on a '19 is not a lot of miles - 10-12k a year - not wear and tear on a part they are knowingly recalling on other bikes that have the same parts.

I replaced my '15 F3S sprocket myself (with a black one before the whites were available) - I've since put 40k on it (65k total) and had zero issues/signs of failure. I'm in no hurry to get in and have the recall one put on because the dealers aren't moving bikes through very quickly.
    My 2 cents on the subject.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2023 at 05:41 PM. Reason: sense... ;-)
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Most definitely push for the recall. All it will cost you is time.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

What we have here is failure to communicate. If we remove the date of model manufacturer date, instead of model year, there could be a year or more difference in the two. We know BRP starts lines of production several months before final production date. Who is to say the item, the front sprocket, wasn't the poorly produced or installed were just a continuation of bad behavior the may still exist for years.
    The question is, did some sadly unsupervised or otherwise unskilled, be Slackers who fooled HR into hireing them?
    It's simple, does BRP, want to continue in business in this fashion?
    2015 RT SM6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by azprince View Post
    What we have here is failure to communicate. If we remove the date of model manufacturer date, instead of model year, there could be a year or more difference in the two. We know BRP starts lines of production several months before final production date. Who is to say the item, the front sprocket, wasn't the poorly produced or installed were just a continuation of bad behavior the may still exist for years.
    The question is, did some sadly unsupervised or otherwise unskilled, be Slackers who fooled HR into hireing them?
    It's simple, does BRP, want to continue in business in this fashion?
    Well, the above communication has certainly confused me

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Well, the above communication has certainly confused me

Pete
    I think he was referring to the employees mistakenly hired during covid by HR
    download.jpg
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would definitely push for the recall. I am just waiting for the issues to start with the later model spyders on the pulley. I had the recall done on my 2016 F3L, and am now waiting on the recall for the brake light switch for my 2021 RTL. They ordered the part near the end of February and "somehow" forgot about me. Called yesterday and they are going to get me in for a fix on 7/11.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It is not 'Wear & Tear'. It's a factory engineered defective part. Nothing changed with your late model 2019. I think BRP just wanted to limit their exposure. How they got away with it is anyone's guess. That sprocket to output shaft connection, if done correctly, would outlast the vehicle. It wasn't , and it doesn't.

I hope you can get BRP to do the right thing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

thnks

Spyder Garage

did not see red dust - but was not looking

Spyder Garage

PXL_20230629_220046161.jpg

I contacted BRP to request this be reimbursed as a recall. dealer said it was the worst theyd seen. picture of worn sproket attached here

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ABCtriker View Post
    PXL_20230629_220046161.jpg

I contacted BRP to request this be reimbursed as a recall. dealer said it was the worst theyd seen. picture of worn sproket attached here
    Not too far away from being spun. The more important question is, how does the output shaft look? That's where the real money starts to come into play.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...