Spyder Garage

Default Any tips on re-installing the Brake Reservoir Retaining Spring Clip? 2022 RTL

I need a little help, just did my first oil change on my newest Spyder. The 2022 has a metal retaining spring clip that secures the brake reservoir to the bracket. When I was removing the spring to swing the reservoir out of the way to access my oil filter, the clip came off and I'm not sure how to re-install it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2023 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hermdog View Post
    I need a little help, just did my first oil change on my newest spyder. The 2022 has a metal retaining spring clip that secures the brake reservoir to the bracket. When I was removing the spring to swing the reservoir out of the way to access my oil filter, the clip came off and I'm not sure how to re-install it.
    Go to parts fiche' and see how it's mounted ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Also at powersportswarehouse.com look up your make and model. I think the spring you are asking about is in the picture for brake, rear. It is an exploded view so all you really get out of it is which end is which.

Surely someone has done this and can help out Hermdog? I haven't done it yet so I don't really know.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default parts fiche

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Go to parts fiche' and see how it's mounted ..... Mike
    Mike, the parts fiche shows the reservoir, but not the retaining spring clip. I'll take a picture of the clip and submit. The older models had a piece of hose that kept the tank secure....something new on a 22.

Spyder Garage

Default Pics of spring clip

Mike, the parts fiche shows the reservoir, but not the retaining spring clip. I'll take a picture of the clip and submit. The older models had a piece of hose that kept the tank secure....something new on a 22.
    Here's the clip??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I need a little help, just did my first oil change on my newest spyder. The 2022 has a metal retaining spring clip that secures the brake reservoir to the bracket. When I was removing the spring to swing the reservoir out of the way to access my oil filter, the clip came off and I'm not sure how to re-install it.
    I'm not sure I'm following your specific terminology - but the plastic reservoir T drops into the metal bracket and hangs there. Then the metal "clip" (bent up paperclip looking thing) slides in above the top of the plastic T (back of the reservoir) and below the top of the metal bracket - there's a "jut out" on the metal and the clip goes between the top of the plastic and the metal jut out - the idea is it stops the reservoir from being able to lift up and come off the bracket.

All that said - I love this design so much better than the rubber hose - BUT I have seen MANY spyders that have never had the hose put back and the reservoir never came unhooked. It's an added piece of safety that's not "really" required if you ask me - but with the new spring design -why not put it back - it's so much easier!
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I changed my oil a couple weeks back on my 22 rtl and ran into the new clip with I did not know about.
    Clip came off and down it went. Have not found it but the Reservoir seems to hold fine without it. I have checked and it has not moved.

Spyder Garage

Mine had the plastic tube, when I 1st serviced it I left it out and it's been fine ever since.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

my 21 had the short rubber hose that was a bugger to remove using angle needle nose pliers and sailor talk. NAPA supplied 6 inches of the same hose (it's air line hose for truck air brakes). I cut an angle on the end of the hose and pushed it back where is belongs. Now the end is long enough to reach and is not buried behind the reservoir.
    2021 Spyder RTL chalk/black/chrome bought in March 21. Previous rides: 2019 Spyder RTL, Orange/chrome. 2015 Harley Heritage, 2002 Harley Heritage, 77 Harley Electra Glide, 75 Harley Electra Glide, 72 Harley Sportster (first bike bought new)
    My Spyder Mods
    Rider backrest, F&R cup holders; F3 handlebars; BRP LED driving light; LaMonster front fender and mirror turn signals, LaMonster Saddlebag lights, Auxito LED rear turn signal blubs w/ built in load resistor; Brake lite modulator/flasher; LaMonster flags on trunk; Garmin Zumo XT. LaMonster Bluetooth adapter for Phone & GPS through Spyder speakers. LaMonster floorboard risers; FOBO tire pressure monitors, Vredestein front and rear tires; BajaRon sway bar.