Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Well, I haven't ridden a while because I've been busy with the puppies (2 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel brothers, 7 months old), but I finally did get a chance to ride a couple days last week and today. I thought the problem was resolved since I hadn't gone into limp mode, but alas, it reared its ugly head again today. I emailed the rep but you know what, I'm tired of it already so I bought a pedal commander. Money down the crapper but live and learn.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I’m experiencing the same issue although I just installed mine last weekend on a new, 2023 F3 Limited. It doesn’t happen while riding and it’s only happened twice. Both times on initial startup. Both times I just turned my bike back off and waited a few seconds before restarting. If it gets more annoying I guess I’ll start reaching out to the manufacturer. In a way it’s good to know this isn’t an uncommon problem.

Unless it starts happening while riding I probably won’t worry too much about it. I really don’t feel like opening up the bike again anytime soon to pull it out. Plus, I really do like the more responsive throttle.

Spyder Garage

I really want a PB, but I hear of quite a few problems with it. I don't need the aggravation, but the improved throttle response would be nice. Still trying to convince myself I need one. I'm not sure if the 2022 F3s has a real need for one. If I just twist the throttle more the bike does come alive. I don't have a problem doing that. How sensitive is the PB when you try to feather the throttle in reverse? I don't need it to be sensitive when doing that.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dasmoetorhead View Post
    I really want a PB, but I hear of quite a few problems with it. I don't need the aggravation, but the improved throttle response would be nice. Still trying to convince myself I need one. I'm not sure if the 2022 F3s has a real need for one. If I just twist the throttle more the bike does come alive. I don't have a problem doing that. How sensitive is the PB when you try to feather the throttle in reverse? I don't need it to be sensitive when doing that.
    I have mine set in Sport mode since for me, it strikes the right balance of responsiveness without being overly sensitive. I did a short test ride after installing it and found Sport+ mode too sensitive. Little movements were greatly amplified, creating a bucking bronco effect for me. I’m sure with time to get used to it, Sport+ is fun, especially with 5 or so levels of adjustment in that setting.

As I mentioned above, so far the Limp Home fault isn’t occurring often enough to be an issue yet and when it does occur, it’s always at initial start up. From what I’ve read on various forums and heard from various YouTube videos, both the PedalBox and PedalCommander can throw the fault.

Even with the Limp Home fault, I have no regrets about buying the PedalBox and using it. I really like the improved throttle response.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    I’m experiencing the same issue although I just installed mine last weekend on a new, 2023 F3 Limited. It doesn’t happen while riding and it’s only happened twice. Both times on initial startup. Both times I just turned my bike back off and waited a few seconds before restarting. If it gets more annoying I guess I’ll start reaching out to the manufacturer. In a way it’s good to know this isn’t an uncommon problem.

Unless it starts happening while riding I probably won’t worry too much about it. I really don’t feel like opening up the bike again anytime soon to pull it out. Plus, I really do like the more responsive throttle.
    It happens mostly for me when I start the bike. Sometimes I can shut the bike off and start it and the message goes away. Other times I have to mess with it before it cooperates. For me, it's happened one too many times to justify keeping it. I'm hoping I have better luck with the Pedal Commander.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    It happens mostly for me when I start the bike. Sometimes I can shut the bike off and start it and the message goes away. Other times I have to mess with it before it cooperates. For me, it's happened one too many times to justify keeping it. I'm hoping I have better luck with the Pedal Commander.
    Sorry to hear about the issues that you had with the pedal box. I have a pedal box on my 2021 RTL and a pedal commander on my 2016 F3L. They both are great and I would buy the one that is cheapest. But if they were the same price, I would go with the pedal commander. There is no programming at all, but it is bluetooth compatible with your phone if needed. I have 2 riding buddies with 2020 RTL. One has the pedal commander and the other has the pedal box. The only issue has been that the one with the pedal box had an issue when he first programmed it, but later it was great. The one with the pedal commander uses his phone to control it. He found that in some remote areas, he had little phone service and could not change settings. But we all seem to be happy with them. Best mod so far.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Sorry to hear about the issues that you had with the pedal box. I have a pedal box on my 2021 RTL and a pedal commander on my 2016 F3L. They both are great and I would buy the one that is cheapest. But if they were the same price, I would go with the pedal commander. There is no programming at all, but it is bluetooth compatible with your phone if needed. I have 2 riding buddies with 2020 RTL. One has the pedal commander and the other has the pedal box. The only issue has been that the one with the pedal box had an issue when he first programmed it, but later it was great. The one with the pedal commander uses his phone to control it. He found that in some remote areas, he had little phone service and could not change settings. But we all seem to be happy with them. Best mod so far.
    PedalBox has a Pro version (the one I bought) that uses a bluetooth controller instead of a wired one as well as an iPhone/Android app. The programming was just doing a few full throttle twists so it could learn the full travel of my throttle. It was fairly easy to install and setup. I doubt I'll take it off of Sport mode the vast majority of the time but it's nice to know I can change it via both the wireless controller as well as my phone.

Spyder Garage

PedalBox has a Pro version (the one I bought) that uses a bluetooth controller instead of a wired one as well as an iPhone/Android app. The programming was just doing a few full throttle twists so it could learn the full travel of my throttle. It was fairly easy to install and setup. I doubt I'll take it off of Sport mode the vast majority of the time but it's nice to know I can change it via both the wireless controller as well as my phone.
    That's the one I have currently, the bluetooth Pro version.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The pedal commander has the same option and comes standard. But like you, I do not change it often.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Just an update on the entire fiasco. I contacted the tech a while back when the device threw up the error again but never heard back from him. So I said %$&^ it! I bought the pedal commander and so far I'm pleased with it. Had it set on Sport (4) and boy was it snappy. Running it now on Sport (2). So much better than the pedal box in my opinion. It's just sad that I wasted $350+ dollars on something I can't use.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

QD -- don't give up. Offer the PB for sale to use with 2014-2019 Spyders only. Provide a concise non-emotional history and offer to accept return if it doesn't work. You may gain a few $100s at the risk of some postage.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Sure, hope I don't run into the same problem you have had with the Pedal Box. Just install one on my 2023 S2S and so far, no problems. Have over 300 miles on the Pedal Box so far but over 1000 on the bike itself.
    2023 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I lost the weather plug on the very top of the pedal box and water got in the port. That caused a limp mode issue. Oput a semi-permanent cover over the port ans solved the problem.

Spyder Garage

I am sorry to hear this issue with your Pedalbox install. We only install the Pro model. We've installed quite a number of them with zero issues. We don't carry the other versions because most of our customers want the Pro. But I would think they would be just as reliable. We went with Pedalbox because of this issues people were having with the Pedal Commander. Not sure what may be happening. But we will certainly keep an eye on this.

I am also surprised at the poor service you received. We have not needed much in the way of service. But when we have called, the reps were very helpful and responsive. We will keep an eye on this as well.

If you would like to send it to us, I would love to see if we could troubleshoot it for you. Since it's a product we carry and recommend. Issues are very important to us.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hate to say this QuickDraw but get rid of that PB and throw it out. mine was perfect for 7 months. All the sudden I get serious errors and finally P0122 error. It fried my TAS. I had my PB tested by a very reputable person. For sure the 3rd pin white wire is shorted. It was in my frunk at all times so no way it got wet. I had to replace my TAS. Spyder works perfect now. My PB was hooked up to a demo spyder after tested Instantly P0122 error on that spyder too. So it wasn’t my spyder. Consistent with 2 different spyders. Lamonster is following up with me but I was dumb and didn’t register it 15 days after purchase so I’m not expecting anything as in warranties.

Here is my post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...06-Please-help
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-23-2023 at 05:49 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

wots a TAS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    wots a TAS
    In this case, & looking at the link above, I reckon it'll be Throttle Accelerator Sensor.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Hate to say this QuickDraw but get rid of that PB and throw it out. mine was perfect for 7 months. All the sudden I get serious errors and finally P0122 error. It fried my TAS. I had my PB tested by a very reputable person. For sure the 3rd pin white wire is shorted. It was in my frunk at all times so no way it got wet. I had to replace my TAS. Spyder works perfect now. My PB was hooked up to a demo spyder after tested Instantly P0122 error on that spyder too. So it wasn’t my spyder. Consistent with 2 different spyders. Lamonster is following up with me but I was dumb and didn’t register it 15 days after purchase so I’m not expecting anything as in warranties.

Here is my post https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...06-Please-help
    I'm not exactly sure why the error came about. I typically don't ride in the rain so it didn't get wet. It did work fine for the first few rides but then the limp mode error happened. It's the Pro version so it wasn't cheap. At this point however, I won't try and sell it. Since it didn't work on my bike, I wouldn't want to sell it to someone else knowing they'll probably have the same issue. It's a costly write-off at this point.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help. I've now got the commander. Hopefully it doesn't fail on me. It's definitely a lot spunkier at a lower setting than the pedalbox was set at (it's on Sport mode level 2). I started on level 4 but it was way too sensitive. Snapped my head back when I accelerated.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 09-25-2023 at 07:59 AM.

Spyder Garage

I like the Idea of the PB or power commander, but I really enjoy just hoping on my bike and going. I don't want to be faced with codes or limp modes on any part of my ride. I just down shift and give it the gas. Seems to get going pretty good doing that. Glad those controllers work for ya'll, but I ain't convinced it's for me.

Retired U.S. Coast Guard 76-97
    Shad bags
    Lamonsters 2.0 usb dual power plate
    F3 ultimate boards
    LED arc lights
    Lidlox helmet extender
    Lamonsters top cuff with Ram ball and phone holder.
    Lamonster billet sway bar end links
    BRP driver backrest
    LED Volt meter
    BIW Cat Delete pipe
    Route 129 windscreen
    2022 F3S , Monolith black

Spyder Garage

I personally have no problems with the pedal box product. I have several friends that have had no issues at all. I even spoke with many people at rallies that have them and no problems. I think my problem and possibly QuickDraws was a fluke. I was told that the exact problem has been reported before but only in a few instances in an email from Pedal Box. All have been grounding out issues from what the rep told me. Again that may be a fluff comment, since I really didn’t push the issue but lamonster, spyder accesories and others have probably sold at-least a 1000 units by now and to only find 2 on this forum indicates it probably was a fluke. What would be interesting is to compare the production dates and see in QuickDraw and mine are very close together. I will say, if you purchase a PB, register it in the first 15 days of receipt of you will get no warranty service. I will admit, I was guilty of not registering it.
    Last edited by Wmoater; 09-25-2023 at 09:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

I suspect my Limp Home fault might be related to the bike checking something every few start-ups since it seems to happen every 10th start-up or so (not exact numbers...I'll have to double check over the next few weeks). It's also possible it might be ground related and I'll double check that as well the next time I have the panels off for something (likely when I install my shocks). So far, it always clears if I turn it off, wait a few seconds and start it back up. Interestingly enough, it will always throw the same Limp Home fault on the second start up but it always clears after a second or two whereas the first time it never clears until I restart the bike.

Spyder Garage

When did you buy yours bigpoppa? I betting between January and June of this year? Are you getting a P0122 error? Did you disconnect it? First, turn off your Spyder all together and remove the PB. Hook up your OEM AND TURN ON. Then Turn off and disconnect OEM and Connect the PB. Turn the key; program the PB by twisting the throttle slowly 5 times; turn the key off; then turn the Spyder on; and see if it still gives you the error. Try that and see if it works. This is straight from PB's cooperate customer service as in checking that I was told to do first.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2023 at 11:48 PM. Reason: you; ;'s ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the tip. I bought mine at the end of July. I’ve already initiated a return on it (PB Pro) and I’m getting the PB+ instead. I’ll make sure to do the programming on the PB+ in the manner you posted.