Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Got a PedalBox, getting VSS Fault & Limp Mode msg - any ideas/fixes?

I installed the pedalbox about a month ago. Twice during that time I've started the bike and received the Limp mode message. Over the weekend I got the VSS Fault message, then the Limp mode message, but then it went away.

Anyone know why this would be happening and what I can do to mitigate the problem?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2023 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I dont own the Pedal Box but have heard they have to be programmed first. Maybe that's it?
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I did the programming when I installed it. I had to do it again a week later when I got the Limp mode message. Just not sure why the message is appearing when others have said that the pedalbox is the one that typically doesn't throw out those errors. That device cost a lot of money to possibly have to remove it since I had zero issues before I installed it.

Spyder Garage

They need calibrated - you said you did that - so I will assume you did it by the instructions.

Next thought is are you changing it when the throttle is "open"? You can't change on the fly - throttle must be closed for at least a few seconds when changing the setting or it can cause a Limp Mode.

Assuming that's not the issue - I'd unplug it and verify you don't get limp mode/vss - make sure that the box is really the problem.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

I may have to unplug it. Never changed settings on the move. It's been on the same setting since I set it up (according to the instructions). It's the new bluetooth model so I'm curious if that is causing it to throw up those codes. Not sure at this point. Frustrating when it happens though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    I may have to unplug it. Never changed settings on the move. It's been on the same setting since I set it up (according to the instructions). It's the new bluetooth model so I'm curious if that is causing it to throw up those codes. Not sure at this point. Frustrating when it happens though.
    Have you tried pulling the code or putting your Spyder on BUDS? Something that would give some direction. Have you tried running with the PedalBox disconnected? We've install these in quite a few bikes with zero issues.

Ron (bajaron)
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the suggestion Ron but unfortunately I do not have a BUDS unit. Wish I did but they are expensive and the wife would divorce me if I bought one. Not sure how to get the code as it only says limp mode or vss fault. I've had the bike since 2020 with no errors, until I installed the pedalbox. It's only happened twice so far so maybe I'll recalibrate it again to see if that resolves the issue. If not, then I'll remove it since it wasn't an issue before.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Spyder Garage

...Not sure how to get the code as it only says limp mode or vss fault...
    On the new Dash bikes - if there is an engine light, limp mode, vss error, etc - you would use the jog dial on the left handlebar and scroll through your settings until you see "Fault Codes" - this will show you any current/active fault code - what is causing the error light/warning to be displayed. It'll be a letter and 4 numbers. That will help point folks to what is actually causing you the grief.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you Jd. The next time that happens I will do as you suggested.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Jd. The next time that happens I will do as you suggested.
    The code may be saved, depending. You may be able to pull it up even though it is not currently showing an error on your dash.

A trip to the dealer for a BUDS hookup is what I meant. Very few have that system laying around the house. BUDS is expensive and there is a reoccurring fee as well.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron. I'll try that when I get home from work. I'll post it up if something comes up. Funny thing though. I went to the dealers last week and got the brake switch recall done. That morning I had both of those errors but didn't happen at the dealers. Kind of wish it did but then again, I would have had to explain the pedalbox to them and they would have said not to use it.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron. I'll try that when I get home from work. I'll post it up if something comes up. Funny thing though. I went to the dealers last week and got the brake switch recall done. That morning I had both of those errors but didn't happen at the dealers. Kind of wish it did but then again, I would have had to explain the pedalbox to them and they would have said not to use it.
    You're right. Any aftermarket item you put on your ride is treated as a 'Get Out Of Jail Free' card. You could install a new horn and they'd tell you it is the reason your tires are wearing badly. But to be fair, a PedalBox install could have an outside chance at creating the problems you're having. Disconnecting it completely should give you some clues.

Spyder Garage

Here's a screenshot.
    20230630_093703.jpg

Spyder Garage

Here's a screenshot.
    20230630_093703.jpg
    Both are Throttle Position Sensor related - so yeah - it seems it's the pedal box giving you fits unfortunately. I'd definitely try the recalibration process - follow it very closely. If the errors come back - something is up with your Pedal Box and/or install. :-(
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Both of those codes are for the throttle sensor.

Unplug the pedal box and see if they go away, then-
    Give Pedal Box a call and see what they say about it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Could be bad connection. Could be moisture. Could just be a bad pedalbox. But it's almost certainly pedalbox related.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    Both of those codes are for the throttle sensor.

Unplug the pedal box and see if they go away, then-
    Give Pedal Box a call and see what they say about it.
    I contacted pedalbox and the kid said that he knows exactly what the issue is and is going to send me reset instructions. He said it's a problem with the throttle connection. He said it's happened in the past. Go figure. If there's gonna be an issue, it's gonna happen to me.

Spyder Garage

I contacted pedalbox and the kid said that he knows exactly what the issue is and is going to send me reset instructions. He said it's a problem with the throttle connection. He said it's happened in the past. Go figure. If there's gonna be an issue, it's gonna happen to me.
    Awesome! Very good news! It's always a good sign when the manufacturer takes ownership of an issue. Stuff will always happen. It's what gets done about it that matters most.

Spyder Garage

Got the email from him a little while ago so I reset the device. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen again, but if it does, the guy said to contact him and they would most likely send me a new one.

Spyder Garage

Well, an update on the issue after resetting the device... got the darn limp mode message again. So I guess I'm going to contact the company as they suggested and let them know their suggestion didn't work so I can get a new device. Either that or a refund. I'm very dissappointed with this.

Spyder Garage

Well, an update on the issue after resetting the device... got the darn limp mode message again. So I guess I'm going to contact the company as they suggested and let them know their suggestion didn't work so I can get a new device. Either that or a refund. I'm very dissappointed with this.
    Even the best of products have a bad egg from time to time. It's always disappointing to get one. But don't give up on it. A little perseverance will pay off. We've installed quite a few of these with Zero issues and 100% happy customers. The PedalBox is an excellent product. And I am sure they will work with you to get things corrected. This bad experience will fade quickly as you enjoy the upgrade.

Spyder Garage

Question for you Ron. Pierre from canamspyderaccessories says when you program it, you have to do the throttle 3 times. No where in the instructions did it say that. Could that be the issue? I contacted PedalBox and they are going to most likely send me a new one, but I was just curious if 3 times is the magic number.

Spyder Garage

There is a video that shows fitting and setting here.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/f3-pedalbox-install/
    Last edited by Isopedella; 07-19-2023 at 09:39 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

The rep from PedalBox wants me to unhook it, start the bike up, make sure there are no fault codes, then re-connect the PedalBox. They think that will resolve the issue. I'm not sure but I'll try it. I had zero fault codes prior to installing this device so I know it's related to that. Just don't know whether it's the unit or the setup at this point. I'm hoping it was just me setting it up incorrectly but I followed lamonster's video so who knows.

Spyder Garage

The rep from PedalBox wants me to unhook it, start the bike up, make sure there are no fault codes, then re-connect the PedalBox. They think that will resolve the issue. I'm not sure but I'll try it. I had zero fault codes prior to installing this device so I know it's related to that. Just don't know whether it's the unit or the setup at this point. I'm hoping it was just me setting it up incorrectly but I followed lamonster's video so who knows.
    IIRC, there are a few that've been like that.... No codes or issues beforehand; installation procedure followed to the letter; then codes or 'failed PB' msgs after for no apparent reason.... But I don't think there's any of those we've heard of that HAVEN'T been fixed by doing exactly what's been suggested by the rep.

So it's probably not all that likely that it's the PedalBox 'having' or even really 'causing' a dummy spit per se... It sounds like it's more likely something on the BRP side of things objecting to some real or imaginary change that the system can (or thinks it can ) detect once the PB is plugged in.... Maybe it's just the ever so slightly different resistance in the wiring, or something equally as inconsequential; but really, it's not such a biggie! It's most likely gonna be a simple resolution, and the PB Rep is on record as saying they'll replace the PB if necessary. Either way, you've got a working PB in the end, don't you?!

Good Luck, and enjoy your PB. once it's sorted!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!