Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Can I expect an Oil leak to be covered by warranty?

My 2022 900 Sport has developed an oil leak.
    I've got a couple of months left on my warranty and would like to know if I can expect the dealer to fix it without cost to me?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Would think so. Mine is still under warranty until September. If a problem I sure would expect it to be covered.

FYI I did have an oil leak after the dealer did an oil change at about 1,000 miles. They overfilled the oil. Looked and looked at where the leak came from. Never found it decisively. Ended up contacting them and they said to bring it in. Lots of level checking and I decided to suck out some oil. Did that and removed about a pint or so. The leak stopped. Told the dealer that when I went back for that brake spring recall. Only thing they/I figured was the mechanic dumped three quarts of oil into the bike WITHOUT changing the filter.

I did an oil change with new filter at 3,200 miles. It took 3 quarts and the level is fine. Also noted that when cold the oil level is right at the "add" mark. Played that heat-up game and it goes up to "full". Now I just check it cold and look to see if it is right at the "add".

Spyder Garage

Probably will be covered. Where is the oil leak? It may depend on what is leaking.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm not an expert in these matter by any stretch of the imagination, but leaks seldom get better on their own. In fact it's been my experience they only get worse. I would take it to the dealer. I suspect that in the end, one way or the other, you're gonna end up paying for it. The only question is how much.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

If your oil leak is from some gasket or seal, it is a defect in material and will be covered by the warranty.

From Page 168 of your Operator’s Guide.
    1. SCOPE OF THE LIMITED WARRANTY
    Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (“BRP”) warrants its 2022 Can-Am Ryker (the "Product") sold by an authorized Can-Am On-Road Dealers (as defined be- low) in the United States of America and in Canada from defects in material or workmanship for the period and under the conditions described below. This lim- ited warranty will become null and void if: (1) The Product was used for racing or any other competitive activity, at any point, even by a previous owner; (2) the od- ometer was removed or has been tampered with; (3) the Product was used off-- road; or (4) the Product has been altered or modified in such a way so as to adversely affect its operation, performance or durability, or has been altered or modified to change its intended use.
    Non-factory installed parts and accessories are not covered under this limited warranty. Please refer to the applicable parts and accessories limited warranty text.
    2015 F3S SE6

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks all.
    I feel more confident that the dealer will cover this. The dealer in question is Renos in Kansas City and my service experiences for a number of years and multiple bikes has all been good.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staneric View Post
    Thanks all.
    I feel more confident that the dealer will cover this. The dealer in question is Renos in Kansas City and my service experiences for a number of years and multiple bikes has all been good.
    I use Reno's for some work on my Spyder as well, and them seem to do a good job.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Speaking of oil leaks...I took a nice early morning ride from south central Wi to Dubuque, Ia last week...Pulled into a gas station for some coffee and fuel...I notice 2 Harley riders looking and laughing at me and my Ryker...Got some coffee and sat along the windows watching them continue to look at the ryker while talking laughing.......Well the joke was on one of them when I noticed a 3" diameter puddle of oil under one of the bikes, that they apparently never noticed...So of course I went over to them as I was leaving and pointed out the oil leak...Soooo who's laughing now....
    54 Snowmobiles...7 Dirtbikes...4 Atv's...8 Streetbikes...1 Tricycle...Since 1969...