Spyder Garage

Default Front storage USB port not charging quickly enough - any ideas?

Hello Everyone,

I own a 22 Spyder RT Limited and usually use the navigation on my mobile that I charge on the USB port on the front storage above the steering. However, the phone loses energy faster than the USB can recharge it!

Sometimes, on long journeys I keep a powerbank in the front storage and connect the phone there. Like this, it charges the phone.

Do any of you have the same experience with the provided USB port? Is there any way to increase the power on that USB port?

Thank you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I have had the same experience. My phone is an I11. It helped some to get a usb connector that did not transmit data also but still need to be sure that I have a full charge on phone at beginning of day. The output on the connector on the bike must be limited. I checked with the dealership to see if that could be changed and they indicated that it could not.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just finished a week long trip in the VA, West Va, NC, Kentucky, Tenn, and NC mountains. I found that if you have any apps open, the usb charge can barely keep up with the usage. But if you turn everything off, it will get a charge, but slowly.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

That port was mainly there for data transfer purposes.

I installed a dedicated usb port with 12 gauge wire feed to the battery and relay powered by the gps wire for the trigger.
    Not another charging problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    That port was mainly there for data transfer purposes.

I installed a dedicated usb port with 12 gauge wire feed to the battery and relay powered by the gps wire for the trigger.
    Not another charging problem since.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I used to have a 2011 RT and did exactly the same thing.

But now we are supposed to use BRP Connect and like that we are not supposed to need another power source.

It is strange how a vehicle that is on a higher price level and it is so little refined on some minor things.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: know...;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use it and have found the USB charges just fine (is your phone good?). Shut it off once in a while to refresh it. I’ve gone on a ride with about 20% battery and after an hour I have almost 60% and I’m using the music and GPS apps.

It could be the power part of the USB isn’t connected. When you plug it in do you see the charge symbol? Is the battery so far down it it won’t take a charge AND work normally? Is the phone up to date with the latest OS?

These are images of a USB meter showing voltage and amps with the engine off.

IMG_1736.jpg IMG_1735.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Good comments from Flamewinger, try those suggestions, but - also, here is what I have tried with success in the past - I use my iPhone for directions and music, so it is always using battery. (I have it plugged into the glove box USB with a data blocker in-line), if I am at a place in my ride that I don't need to see the map - for example long interstate runs, I put the phone to sleep, and wake it up when I am nearing the next set of directions I need. The phone charges quicker with the display off.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Also helpful if turn WiFi off not just disconnect. Adjusting settings to not search automatically. Otherwise it searches jase a softer as does for cell towers. Few other batter saving options available. Storm cut through this morning & no power here at the moment

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I added the dual USB charging port like in post #4 … it charges fast and works great for me. I do not use any BRP apps and use my phone for navigation and music when riding.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The specifications for USB limit the output of ports to 1.2 amps and 2.4 amps. I'm guessing the BRP port is a 1.2 A port which is not enough to keep some devices charged while running apps, or your phone is a heavy power user. I have that issue with the Samsung tablet I use for navigation. I don't remember if the after market USB charger I installed is a 1.2 or 2.4. As has been suggested turn off every app you don't use while riding. If the Spyder USB port is 2.4 A and you're losing charge while riding, and you have everything you don't need turned off, then basically you are SOL since you won't readily find a higher power USB port.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Hi Everyone,

Did a small test and here are the findings.

First, shutdown and restart of smartphone (android). No apps running except for app Ampere that shows the information below. The same USB cable was used on the all tests.

The 3 highest readings are done on a wall socket (1600 mA), on the powerbank (1790 mA) I use and on the USB on the rear trunk of the spyder (1650 mA).

The lowest reading was done on the spyder, connected to the front USB socket with the engine running (80 mA).

There has to be some issue there.

Tried to reach BRP Customer Service questioning what is the normal value to have but their reply is to reach a dealer (good luck with that!)

Any idea of what might be wrong?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve been using my phone with the dash since I got the 2018. Never had a problem with a draining or dead battery. I don’t close all the apps, I don’t shut the browser down, I just get my music playing, plug it in and use either GPS app along with Rever for tracking and my phone doesn’t go dead. I also make sure my phone and apps are up to date and I refresh it by turning it off once or twice a month. The USB charges just fine.
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 06-29-2023 at 12:11 AM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I’ve been using my phone with the dash since I got the 2018. Never had a problem with a draining or dead battery. I don’t close all the apps, I don’t shut the browser down, I just get my
    Music playing, plug it in and use either GPS app along with Rever for tracking and my phone doesn’t go dead. I also make sure my phone and apps are up to date and I refresh it by turning it off once or twice a month. The USB charges just fine.
    Thank you for your feedback.

Would it be possible for you to check what is the charging power on your USB port?

That would be much helpfull.

Thank you

Spyder Garage

Some random thoughts: Thanks for telling me about the Ampere app, I love electronics experiments. I *think* your cellphone is drawing too much current. As long as the ignition is on either USB outlet on my Spyder will maintain a positive rate of charge on my cellphone. I concur with Bfromla about turning off any radio channels you do not need eg. Bluetooth or WiFi. These are indeed radio transmitters (small) and eat current. Can you borrow someone else's cellphone and repeat the experiment? That would tell us for sure if the problem is with the Spyder or with the phone.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    Some random thoughts: Thanks for telling me about the Ampere app, I love electronics experiments. I *think* your cellphone is drawing too much current. As long as the ignition is on either USB outlet on my Spyder will maintain a positive rate of charge on my cellphone. I concur with Bfromla about turning off any radio channels you do not need eg. Bluetooth or WiFi. These are indeed radio transmitters (small) and eat current. Can you borrow someone else's cellphone and repeat the experiment? That would tell us for sure if the problem is with the Spyder or with the phone.
    Hello, today I bought a USB tester.
    Will test it later on and post the results ASAP.

But would be very interesting to compare it to the results on other Spyders. So, if anyone can share theirs it would be great!

The problem is not my phone. It charges well in the car, at home, on the rear USB of the Spyder. I don't have any issue with it at any other place.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Caps, ' 's, & removed block of color for ease of ALL reading ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MCarvalho View Post
    Thank you for your feedback.

Would it be possible for you to check what is the charging power on your USB port?

That would be much helpfull.

Thank you
    Look to earlier posts in the topic. I show two images of the power output.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MCarvalho View Post
    Hello, today I bought a USB tester.
    Will test it later on and post the results ASAP.

But would be very interesting to compare it to the results on other Spyders. So, if anyone can share theirs it would be great!

The problem is not my phone. It charges well in the car, at home, on the rear USB of the Spyder. I don't have any issue with it at any other place.
    I’m guessing you've tried different cables? Cleaned the charging/data port on the phone?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I wanted a way to charge our comms and the phone at the same time, even when the RT's were not running and I did not want the USB ports to be exposed to the elements. I found a dual USB charger adapter with switch and voltmeter on amazon, link below. I drilled a hole at the back of the storage box, punched a hole in a hole plug just large enough for wires to pass the wires through and connected it to a fuse block (show chrome) that all the accessories are connected to.

We keep a short cord for our iphone, usb-micro for the Cardo, and a usb-c just in case we come a across an android user in need of a charge.

https://www.amazon.com/Vemote-Motorc...0B1QLTWJY?th=1

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-24-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's an Article on Device Charging Voltage you should read!

https://www.lockncharge.com/blog/ind...0the%20product.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-24-2023 at 03:14 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Default USB Charging in the glove box

I have a 2023 RT Sea to Sky and found that the glove box port doesn’t charge enough to keep my iPhone charged on a day long trip so I went out and purchased a dual port usb charging port that is supposed to fit in the spot where there is a switch blank in the console. I just tried to install it and found on my RT the switch location came from the factory cut out to a rectangle for a switch which is larger than the usb port. Has anyone here found a port that fits the opening?
    I could cut out the blank that is snapped into the opening but it’s going to be a real pain to cut and it just seems like there should be something out there that fits…

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depending on the cable you’re using, deepening on the phone's condition, depending how if you shut it off once in a while to refresh it can make a difference in how it works. Hopefully you're using a cable approved for the phone, you should have no problems.

The phone needs to be up to date. When connected to BRP Connect the phone’s screen goes dark. Most any USB in any vehicle will have the same power as its standard in all vehicles.

This is a video showing my phone at 19% and using music, GPS, plus other apps open in the background.

Last edited by Flamewinger; 12-24-2023 at 03:04 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red