Spyder Garage

Default What needs checking after HARD collision with a trailer ramp?

I had my 2018 Spyder F3L towed into dealer for warranty work on intermittent "stuck in gear" since last August...BRP has escalated my case internally.

BUT! The dealer's tow truck driver, who worked for the dealer for 5 years now and bragged to me about knowing how to properly tow a Spyder, drove my bike right smack INTO the ramp instead of ONTO the ramp. He forgot that he needed to put down the wood planks to lift the Spyder for clearance and to avoid this small collision...he said that Rykers are higher than Spyders...well, my bike is a Spyder F3L!!!!! I called dealer immediately after this happened and told them to check my bump skid for damage, which I do believe there IS a big indentation in my bump skid under the grille that will match the pattern on the ramp!

What else should I be worried about that could happen with this kind of blunt and abrupt stop force that my bike encountered? I SAW it! The front of the bike stopped abruptly and loudly as it hit the ramp - and the rear end of the bike rose up with this force! I was aghast! What to have checked? What to do?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2023 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GWHIZZ View Post
    I had my 2018 Spyder F3L towed into dealer for warranty work on intermittent "stuck in gear" since last August...BRP has escalated my case internally.

BUT! The dealer's tow truck driver, who worked for the dealer for 5 years now and bragged to me about knowing how to properly tow a Spyder, drove my bike right smack INTO the ramp instead of ONTO the ramp. He forgot that he needed to put down the wood planks to lift the Spyder for clearance and to avoid this small collision...he said that Rykers are higher than Spyders...well, my bike is a Spyder F3L!!!!! I called dealer immediately after this happened and told them to check my bump skid for damage, which I do believe there IS a big indentation in my bump skid under the grille that will match the pattern on the ramp!

What else should I be worried about that could happen with this kind of blunt and abrupt stop force that my bike encountered? I SAW it! The front of the bike stopped abruptly and loudly as it hit the ramp - and the rear end of the bike rose up with this force! I was aghast! What to have checked? What to do?
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Dealer told you that it was YOUR fault ..... because that BUMP SKID is not BRP OEM .... Good Luck tho ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2023 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Dealer told you that it was YOUR fault ..... because that BUMP SKID is not BRP OEM .... Good Luck tho ..... Mike
    When my bike left my garage prior to entering trailer, it had no damage...now bump skid is damaged. I am waiting for them to own up to this, and if they do not, I will name them in every new post I have about what happened, and online, and to my 3 Spyder Riders groups that I am in. As well as report it to my other open case with BRP, and report it to dealer regional manager, and BBB.

Spyder Garage

Just keep reminding them that the driver admitted ''Rykers were higher than Spyders''............thats his admission of guilt, you've got him by the short and curly's.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Oh boy, an ouch from somebody who should know better. As long as backing up was clear,, reverse actuator can get caught on angle of loading ramps sometimes and harm it
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

There's been more than one Spyder written off here in Oz cos their Bump Skid or one of those tubular Profile bars or mini Bull Bar type Bumpers that projects forwards beyond the extremities of the frunk tupperware has hit something, and the common claim from the owners has been that "it was just a gentle parking type nudge, and not too hard at that", but those 'gentle nudges' resulted in frame cross members under the trunk &/or the 'A' arms &/or some of the important suspension mounts under there being bent and damaged sufficiently that it was cheaper just to buy a new Spyder than to strip it & replace the frame! There's been others where the base of the frunk's been broken out & not obviously visible from the top until the liner's removed; and dome where the frunk &/or lid have been dislodged &/or twisted so that they no longer match up & the lid doesn't close properly!

So either you or someone you deem reliable (apart from any of the dealer's staff ) should probably check everything out carefully on top of the frunk, inside the frunk and underneath in, on, & around the frame, cross members, and the suspension!! At least get someone apart from the dealer to get under there with a straight edge & a square to carefully check that all the important structural bits, including the main spar and anything sticking out off the main spar are all straight & correctly angled to the spar; and check to make sure that the wheel alignment is still good too, cos even tho it sounds like he didn't hit the wheels on anything, if he hit hard enough to lift the back wheel that's certainly potentially hard enough to bend anything the 'A' arms or stabilizer bar hang off, so the alignment being out could be an indicator that something under there's now wrong, and unless you check, it won't necessarily reveal itself until you start rapidly scrubbing out tires!

These Spyder things are undoubtedly a pretty robust (you should see where mine goes & what it's been out thru! ) but they really weren't designed to solidly hit anything with their main structural components, or anything mounted on those main structural components! And the tupperware is basically your 'crush cans' - hit an obstacle hard enough (especially with anything but the wheels) to stop the Spyder & lift the rest wheel like that and the tupperware will likely crack &/or collapse/deform somewhat to lessen the potential damage to the important bits it hangs off.... And you SAW what this 'tow truck driver' did!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2023 at 08:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I am hoping for them to just own up to the dent they made in my bump skid (where the front point on it WAS) and maybe pushing for an alignment...an ex-dealer who works on spyders here tells me that really there is nothing but space between bump skid and radiators.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I understand how you want to keep this as uncomplicated as possible. You want your Spyder home, in a safe working order so you can enjoy it, ride it, and feel safe in doing so. I hope this dealer and BRP will step up, do the right thing and make this happen. It should not be your job to pay for legal representation to make you whole.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerbillone View Post
    I understand how you want to keep this as uncomplicated as possible. You want your Spyder home, in a safe working order so you can enjoy it, ride it, and feel safe in doing so. I hope this dealer and BRP will step up, do the right thing and make this happen. It should not be your job to pay for legal representation to make you whole.
    I am going to report it to BRP as I have an open, escalated case going on right now for this bike.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am hoping for them to just own up to the dent they made in my bump skid (where the front point on it WAS) and maybe pushing for an alignment...an ex-dealer who works on spyders here tells me that really there is nothing but space between bump skid and radiators.
    " an ex-dealer " ....IMHO they would be the Last person I would ask questions, of about how the Spyders are built. I would look for an EXPERT ( noninvolved ) to asses the Damge/s .....good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what the bump skid is for. If the force was too great it would popped off or sheared the mounting bolts. Wait until you hear back from the dealer as to what they found as far as undercarriage damage, if any.

I am going to report it to BRP as I have an open, escalated case going on right now for this bike.
    Report what? Neither the dealer or BRP are responsible for damage caused by the tow truck driver.

'They' didn't cause the damage. You're barking up the wrong tree. Customers who blame the dealer for everything will get put on the back lot next time they want something done.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-26-2023 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you happen to get photos or video of the accident. I have learned these help a ton because you can’t deny it didn’t happen.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Did you happen to get photos or video of the accident. I have learned these help a ton because you can’t deny it didn’t happen.
    NO, but I have photos of PRIOR to it - bump skid with NO dents / damage. And the tow truck driver took pics in my garage, PRIOR to the accident. So the grille / bump skid should show NO DAMAGE before he rode it. I also have 2 other witnesses who heard (1) and saw (1).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " an ex-dealer " ....IMHO they would be the Last person I would ask questions, of about how the Spyders are built. I would look for an EXPERT ( noninvolved ) to asses the Damge/s .....good luck ... Mike
    and the dealer most likely will not pay for an outside opinion. I am beside myself with what to do here. The ex-dealer I am talking about (earlier) is a Spyder master mechanic today with a full shop setup. I may let him assess my bike for damages, but at that time, I will be paying to find out...and the current dealer most likely will not do anything at that time. That is why I am documenting this small collision with the dealer, with BRP, with my witnesses.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    That's what the bump skid is for. If the force was too great it would popped off or sheared the mounting bolts. Wait until you hear back from the dealer as to what they found as far as undercarriage damage, if any.

Report what? Neither the dealer or BRP are responsible for damage caused by the tow truck driver.

'They' didn't cause the damage. You're barking up the wrong tree. Customers who blame the dealer for everything will get put on the back lot next time they want something done.
    I have not blamed the dealer for EVERYTHING...just for their EMPLOYEE - the stupid tow truck driver - slamming my bike into the ramp. That is a very specific blame and they ARE responsible as they EMPLOY the tow truck driver on their payroll.

Spyder Garage

Your first post was on June 25th and the last one was July 1st, have you resolved the issue with your dealer? What damage did the dealer find when the bike was unloaded at the shop? Please update your thread.

IMO your issue is with the dealer and a firm but respectful approach works better than a threat; they have deeper pockets than most customers. Good luck with the repairs and enjoy the ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have not blamed the dealer for EVERYTHING...just for their EMPLOYEE - the stupid tow truck driver - slamming my bike into the ramp. That is a very specific blame and they ARE responsible as they EMPLOY the tow truck driver on their payroll.
    So, what's the rest of the story?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl