Spyder Garage

Default First Service & Dealer says Stripped out drain plug! New dealer time!

Took my '22 RTL into dealer for its first service last week. Went up to cycle gear on the wife's Spyder. While there I got a call from service. Where did you have your Spyder serviced? Reply - It's getting its 1st service now with you! Dealer - Well the lower plug we drained the oil out, but the other plug is stripped out. Can't take it out because we don't have a replacement to put in. So we will order one in and call you for you to come back and we will change it out. WTF, you should know that the plugs get stripped out sometimes and you would have a new one on site.

They charged me for the oil change and said they will do another oil change for me when I come to get the new plug put in. I asked about some other things I hoped they would check and fix under warranty. One being antifreeze leak. Service writer said that's just dripping out the tailpipe from not running it long enough in the cold. A 4 hr ride isn't long enough!? My other RTL did the same thing and I had to put on a new hose clamp. Only thing on the report I got when I paid was - recommend brake fluid flush. It's not even 1 yr old, 3,100 miles and it needs the brake fluid flushed??! My other RTL went 3 yrs before they would change it and they charged me 3 hrs to do it.

Well, I'm going to find me a new dealer that will do what I ask. Takes about 4 hrs to drive to this dealer we use, but that's going to change. $150.00 hr rate now. Saw a new name that I've never seen before on the work done by.... Well, I'm done with them. My rant is over now.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2023 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's insane.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ned64 View Post
    Took my '22 RTL into dealer for its first service last week. Went up to cycle gear on the wife's Spyder. While there I got a call from service. Where did you have your Spyder serviced? Reply - It's getting its 1st service now with you! Dealer - Well the lower plug we drained the oil out, but the other plug is stripped out. Can't take it out because we don't have a replacement to put in. So we will order one in and call you for you to come back and we will change it out. WTF, you should know that the plugs get stripped out sometimes and you would have a new one on site.

They charged me for the oil change and said they will do another oil change for me when I come to get the new plug put in. I asked about some other things I hoped they would check and fix under warranty. One being antifreeze leak. Service writer said that's just dripping out the tailpipe from not running it long enough in the cold. A 4 hr ride isn't long enough!? My other RTL did the same thing and I had to put on a new hose clamp. Only thing on the report I got when I paid was - recommend brake fluid flush. It's not even 1 yr old, 3,100 miles and it needs the brake fluid flushed??! My other RTL went 3 yrs before they would change it and they charged me 3 hrs to do it.

Well, I'm going to find me a new dealer that will do what I ask. Takes about 4 hrs to drive to this dealer we use, but that's going to change. $150.00 hr rate now. Saw a new name that I've never seen before on the work done by.... Well, I'm done with them. My rant is over now.
    .... Lucky for you those idiots didn't do too much damage ..... Who do they think STRIPPED out the PLUG ..... This was the first service and you didn't touch it ...... Glad to hear you will be going elsewhere. ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-23-2023 at 05:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

WOW, horrible dealers. watch out......if the "not experienced tech" had trouble with the drain plugs, check your oil level per manual. its a dry sump, so not the usual kind of "check your oil level" cold
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

My dealer is 'no dealer'. Bought a brand new 2019 F3-S. It was uncrated and prepped at a dealship. After I got it home, I went over everything again. From what I found checking behind them, and the #$%^ &*((%$# they were telling me when I picked it up, I figured out that I would be much better off, without a dealership. It has never been back since. Don't intend to take it back to any dealer. Have not read anything on here or heard anything from Spyder riders that would make me change my mind. They have left some messges on my answering machine, and sent me Christmas cards, but so do a lot of other scammers.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I doubt the steel plug would be stripped - more likely the aluminium housing it screws into.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you had a 3-year old RT that you spent time and money getting it working and farkled then you traded up? Maybe not a great idea in hindsight?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
    I doubt the steel plug would be stripped - more likely the aluminium housing it screws into.
    I think the plug He referenced was the Trans. plug & it's been reported by others here that using the wrong tool has stripped them .... ie the torx -vs. hex mistake .... and He said they need to replace the PLUG, ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I think the plug He referenced was the Trans. plug & it's been reported by others here that using the wrong tool has stripped them .... ie the torx -vs. hex mistake .... and He said they need to replace the PLUG, ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Yes, I'm sure it was not the threads which the term 'Stripped' normally refers to. Instead, it is the recessed tool hole that gets hogged out by using the wrong tool. The wrong tool will start to bite but then spin, rounding off the portion that the correct tool is designed to bite on. You are then left with a round head that takes another special tool to remove the now destroyed drain plug.

I've got a 2008 Spyder with many oil changes done on the stock drain plugs. If you use the correct tool and don't Gorilla Tighten the drain plugs. The originals will last the life of the machine. Sadly, this is rarely the case. Which is why so many go to the , pretty much bullet proof, hex head drain plugs.

Why a dealer would not have spare drain plugs for a machine with known, common drain plug issues is a question which should never need to be asked.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-23-2023 at 09:52 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Another crap dealer post. What a surprise. Just another reason I do all my own maintenance and repairs. In 55 years none of my motorcycles have ever been back to a dealer except for recalls. And they even screwed them up and tried to sell me work I didn’t need.

I replaced my drain plugs from the company below. A bit pricy but I wanted stainless steel.

https://votex-us.com/
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Yeah, it’s stripped alright. The only issue is, it was stripped by a poorly trained wrench who used the wrong tool to try and extract it. I wonder what’s going to happen when tries to install the replacement using the wrong tool? Hopefully, he will look at it first, but that may be too big an expectation.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The '17 I bought in '17 was such a nice comfortable ride. Had all the farkles on it that I wanted. It never let me down, but once I changed a hose clamp that let a tiny bit of antifreeze drip when I'd bring it home from a ride when the weather was cold. Hearing all the praises on here about the new RTL's riding and handling so good, I took short demo an decided to trade my '17 in. Well, the ride hasn't been better than my old one. Only a tiny bit better when cornering, it seems to not need me to hold on tighter with my knees. The comfort level I put as harsher than my old one. The '22 still has shaky left mirror, a top case lock that won't keep you from opening it when locked, trim under windshield that doesn't stay in place, and I bet the antifreeze drip will be back when cold weather is back. I told them about it and they had another excuse... Told them to check parking brake for correct setting cos it wouldn't hold on a little grade when I set it to hold. Bet they didn't do anything with that either when serviced. Hindsight yes, should have kept my '17. If I ever trade up to a newer RTL I'll take a long test ride, and BRP will need to have upgraded it to make it worth it. I sure won't buy from the last dealer that we bought 3 Spyders from and had all our service work done there. I sure miss old blue. Rant over. Guys and gals, have fun riding this weekend.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2023 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ned, Since the issues you have described (shaky mirror, top case lock, park brake adjustment) can be easily fixed by the dealer, as they are known issues, it sounds like your issues are dealer competence, not ‘20+ RT related per se. I also wonder if your dealer either didn’t connect the air bag sensor, or set it up at purchase, which would explain the less than satisfactory ride (mine rides beautifully).

I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the ‘20+ RT, as there are a significant number of riders who have migrated from earlier model RTs who are very happy with the ‘20+ upgrade. I came from an F3-L with tailored aftermarket shocks all round, and my ‘21 RT is a significantly better ride, with better handling

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

It is dumb of BRP to have the trans drain plug with 6mm hex and eng drain plug with 45 Torx plug.

Spyder Garage

It is dumb of BRP to have the trans drain plug with 6mm hex and eng drain plug with 45 Torx plug.
    Well they screwed up a perfectly good DESS system in 2014, so what can you expect ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Well they screwed up a perfectly good DESS system in 2014, so what can you expect ....Mike
    The other complication with the trans drain plug is that you cannot get a straight go at it without removing the brake linkage bolt/nut as it's inserted from the wrong side of the mechanism whereby the nut is in almost directly under the plug. No wonder it got stripped - the poorly trained wretch didn't think.
    Last edited by Freddy; 06-24-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Spyder Garage

I agree it’s a bad idea to have 2 different types of drain plugs and I had the same problem when I changed oil in my 2019 Spyder. There’s also some misinformation about what wrench to use on the drain plugs.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chasdog View Post
    I agree it’s a bad idea to have 2 different types of drain plugs and I had the same problem when I changed oil in my 2019 Spyder. There’s also some misinformation about what wrench to use on the drain plugs.
    It is a bad idea from the point of view of the people who have to work on it. If they already have other engines with the needed design of the drain plug, or are already sourcing the types of drain plugs they need from some outside supplier, it makes economic sense. They just use the same plugs they already have access to on a different engine. They saving money on manufacturing, so the mechanics don't count.

As usual, the decisions on the two different drain plug wrench requirements, were probably made in the financial department, and not in the engineering department.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

is this a BRP design issue or a Rotax design issue? Just curious if all Rotax engines are done this way.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    is this a BRP design issue or a Rotax design issue? Just curious if all Rotax engines are done this way.
    My guess is that Rotax designs the engine and BRP designs the remote reservoir. The left hand not knowing, or maybe not caring, what the right hand is doing.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    My guess is that Rotax designs the engine and BRP designs the remote reservoir. The left hand not knowing, or maybe not caring, what the right hand is doing.

Too funny . Thats the not caring comment.

Isn't that the SOP with anything connected with a Rotax engine?

Seems to be spreading faster than a than Covid 19 virus and accepted as the norm SOP and A-OK with everything associated with a Rotax.

Something to Ponder on I guess.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-24-2023 at 01:51 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    Another crap dealer post. What a surprise. Just another reason I do all my own maintenance and repairs. In 55 years none of my motorcycles have ever been back to a dealer except for recalls. And they even screwed them up and tried to sell me work I didn’t need.

I replaced my drain plugs from the company below. A bit pricy but I wanted stainless steel.

https://votex-us.com/
    i do all my own work also , an Oil & Filter change is a pretty simple job on most anything. and things like brake pads are fairly easy too just watch a utube video , or check your manual .
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Reminds me of my experience buying a bicycle for my 4 yr old son. We lived in Pittsburgh at the time. There was/is a large Polish community there. This was back when ethnic jokes were the norm so of course there were a lot jokes aimed at Poles. I found a bike and really liked the way it was built, especially with real bearings for the pedal crank and not plastic bushings. Then I saw the name plate. At the bottom was "Made in Poland". I said I'm not going to let any kind of anti-Polish bias get in the way of buying a good looking bike! Well, when I got it home and started to put it together I discovered there were 12 places to use a wrench. The kicker? It took 9 different sizes of wrenches to tighten them all!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)