Spyder Garage

Default Should I add Balance beads - Or just wing it? yes/no?

So I'll be changing my rear tire early next week and as the title says should I add balance beads or just wing it and see how it rides.

Stephan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2023 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question/s... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Very few tire/rim combinations are naturally balanced when mounted. If yours is naturally balanced (very unlikely) and you put the beads in they'll spread evenly and you'll still be balanced.

If you're not naturally balanced (likely) the beads will spread to balance and you'll be balanced. Beads are no-harm, no foul.

MWO (Ret'd) SJ Barnes
    ‘20 RTL Stone Grey
    named Britannia in honour of EE Doc Smith’s
    Grey Lensman’s ship.
    Farkles:
    Bestem Carplay
    canamsypderaccessories hitch and wiring harness,
    showchrome trunk rack,
    12v AND dual USB direct to battery in the frunk,
    dual USB switched in the blank console switch spot (parasites the power off the seat heater switch),
    frunk lid organizer,
    trunk organizer,
    showchrome rider backrest,
    ryder and passenger cup holders,
    ram mount for the iPad mini I use for GPS
    quadlock phone mount
    Nautilus horn
    Data blocker on the glove box USB
    Big Bike Parts highway pegs
    Spyderzone dash pouch
    Convex mirrors

‘20 Ryker 900 (my wife’s ryde)
    Farkles
    Slingmods fwd/rev ‘suicide shifter’
    frunk organizer
    dual horn
    Max mount
    Rear seat with tall back rest (not mounted)
    Ryder backrest (not mounted)
    Side bag
    Top bag

top bag makes a good backrest. Will swap on the rear seat if she ever wants to 2up
    2020 RT Limited , Stone Gray

Spyder Garage

For the price of a 3oz. bag of balance beads. I'd do it. Though you'll never know if they are helping or not without running the tire both ways. Which would be more work than it is worth.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Guess I'll be waiting until Amazon delivers my beads then.

Thanks guys.

Spyder Garage

Heard good reports from two wheelers. Course don’t mix with flat sealers (fix-a-flat/slime)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

You can install the beads after your tyre is fitted.They have a plastic bottle dispenser and you squirt the beads down the valve stem, minus the valve core obviously.
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

I’m a believer in balance beads and have used them for about the past 10 years in several different motorcycles. Haven’t used them in any of the canam spyder s yet but probably will after a tire change.
    Did not put them in my latest KTM Superduke cuz it has tpms in the tires and was afraid it would mess with them.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Spyder Garage

I used balance beads on our KLR's several years ago, they seemed to work well until we were in Whitefish, MT and I decided to check the tire pressures after having lunch. The beads got stuck in the valve and 2 tires completely deflated. I did carry a pump, tubes and extra valves, which I replaced prior to refilling the tube/tires. I will never use them again... my .02

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    I used balance beads on our KLR's several years ago, they seemed to work well until we were in Whitefish, MT and I decided to check the tire pressures after having lunch. The beads got stuck in the valve and 2 tires completely deflated. I did carry a pump, tubes and extra valves, which I replaced prior to refilling the tube/tires. I will never use them again... my .02
    I always wondered how a bead could get lodged in a valve if you were adding air Deflating possibly but if you position the valve anywhere but the 6 o/clock spot even then a quick blast of air should clear it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    You can install the beads after your tyre is fitted.They have a plastic bottle dispenser and you squirt the beads down the valve stem, minus the valve core obviously.
    It can be done with some of the bead versions. But it is a PAIN. And some can't be done this way because they are too large to go through the opening. Adding a bag at install is, by far, the easiest way to go regardless of which version you pick.

I always wondered how a bead could get lodged in a valve if you were adding air Deflating possibly but if you position the valve anywhere but the 6 o/clock spot even then a quick blast of air should clear it.
    I do not have a huge, comprehensive experience with balance beads. However, having done a good deal of research, digging through the hype and sales pitch information. I found you can get beads in Ceramic, Steel, and Glass. There are pluses and minuses with pretty much all versions. As is usually the case with most products. Which means you prioritize your wants/needs and go with the product that fits them best. Though I don't recommend putting price at the top of any list.

I settled on this product.
    https://www.magnumbalance.com/en-us/products/

I know there are many who are happy with other versions and this recommendation is not to detract from that. We have started putting these into our tire installs, both Spyders/Rykers, autos, and large truck tires. With good results.

What I like about the Magnum+
    They are larger balls which do not get stuck in the valve stem.
    My feeling is that the smaller balls were developed to make it possible to install with the tire mounted. But I think this feature comes at the expense of other attributes. Certainly, customers are not likely to have their tire dismounted to install beads. But since we have a tire machine, it is not a big deal for us to do so. And I think the advantages of the larger balls is a valuable plus.
    (The following are from independent testing. Not personal experience)
    They are Glass and do not disintegrate as easily or quickly as ceramic.
    They don't build up static charge which can negatively affect the balancing process.
    They are less abrasive to the tire. (None of the bead versions damage the tire, even if they are more abrasive. But the debris created tends to coat the beads making them less desirable for reuse).

The Spyder/Ryker take 3oz of this product. You can get it in bulk or 3oz packets. The packets can be thrown into the tire when mounting making it a very clean and easy process. (this is also true for all the other bead products I researched)
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-23-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Spyder Garage

To prevent the beads from getting stuck in the tire valve when checking pressure, position the tire so the valves are at 12 o’clock. This way the beads are down at the bottom of the tire. Have used Dynabeads for years and never had any issues.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    To prevent the beads from getting stuck in the tire valve when checking pressure, position the tire so the valves are at 12 o’clock. This way the beads are down at the bottom of the tire. Have used Dynabeads for years and never had any issues.
    Good advise for the smaller bead versions! I should have included this in my post. Good catch!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It can be done with some of the bead versions. But it is a PAIN. And some can't be done this way because they are too large to go through the opening. Adding a bag at install is, by far, the easiest way to go regardless of which version you pick.

I do not have a huge, comprehensive experience with balance beads. However, having done a good deal of research, digging through the hype and sales pitch information. I found you can get beads in Ceramic, Steel, and Glass. There are pluses and minuses with pretty much all versions. As is usually the case with most products. Which means you prioritize your wants/needs and go with the product that fits them best. Though I don't recommend putting price at the top of any list.

I settled on this product.
    https://www.magnumbalance.com/en-us/products/

I know there are many who are happy with other versions and this recommendation is not to detract from that. We have started putting these into our tire installs, both Spyders/Rykers, autos, and large truck tires. With good results.

What I like about the Magnum+
    They are larger balls which do not get stuck in the valve stem.
    My feeling is that the smaller balls were developed to make it possible to install with the tire mounted. But I think this feature comes at the expense of other attributes. Certainly, customers are not likely to have their tire dismounted to install beads. But since we have a tire machine, it is not a big deal for us to do so. And I think the advantages of the larger balls is a valuable plus.
    (The following are from independent testing. Not personal experience)
    They are Glass and do not disintegrate as easily or quickly as ceramic.
    They don't build up static charge which can negatively affect the balancing process.
    They are less abrasive to the tire. (None of the bead versions damage the tire, even if they are more abrasive. But the debris created tends to coat the beads making them less desirable for reuse).

The Spyder/Ryker take 3oz of this product. You can get it in bulk or 3oz packets. The packets can be thrown into the tire when mounting making it a very clean and easy process. (this is also true for all the other bead products I researched)
    I guess you would feel it if the bag didn't open. How does it open anyway and why doesn't it cause obstructions floating around inside the tyre and clog up the beads from doing their job?

Spyder Garage

I guess you would feel it if the bag didn't open. How does it open anyway and why doesn't it cause obstructions floating around inside the tyre and clog up the beads from doing their job?
    Check out this video. At the 1:40 mark it shows what happens to the bag inside the tire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7CghNsdGbk

Spyder Garage

Check out this video. At the 1:40 mark it shows what happens to the bag inside the tire.

That's pretty flipping cool.

Spyder Garage

Hmm bit like UFO footage, nothing crystal clear and immutable.I guess it's just the shear speed of the tyre rips the bag open at a certain point.As for what happens to the bag then doesn't get mentioned so I'm going to say same thing sorta, it gets tossed around constantly momentarily causing imbalance which the beads react to until the bag is torn into tiny pieces with zero effect thereafter.
    What have you found when the tyre is worn out is the bag shredded?

Spyder Garage

Hmm bit like UFO footage, nothing crystal clear and immutable.I guess it's just the shear speed of the tyre rips the bag open at a certain point.As for what happens to the bag then doesn't get mentioned so I'm going to say same thing sorta, it gets tossed around constantly momentarily causing imbalance which the beads react to until the bag is torn into tiny pieces with zero effect thereafter.
    What have you found when the tyre is worn out is the bag shredded?
    I would say the bag probably weighs less than 1/100th of an ounce. It appears to disintegrate almost immediately, having no effect on the beads or their balancing ability. But you can always open the bag and pour them in. Or, get bulk beads, measure and weigh out the the required amount and pour them in to eliminate any questions.

Spyder Garage

The last balance you will ever need.

Centramatic Wheel Balancers is the way to go
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-25-2023 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many won't see post titles, only Thread Titles! ;-)

Spyder Garage

I had no problem getting mine spun balanced.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I had no problem getting mine spun balanced.
    Spin balance is usually only exactly right at a certain speed. And as the tire wears, balance changes. If you pick up stones in the tread, balance changes. Balance beads have the dynamic ability to adjust to these changes on the fly. Balance weights used in spin or other balancing methods are static and, of course, are not going to be able to make any adjustment.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-30-2023 at 03:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

It's been many years, but I'm positive the valve stem was at about 3 o'clock with the left happy trails pannier removed for access. I checked the air pressure after the tires had cooled down, and could not get the valve to seat with the little portable compressor we brought with us. If I had access to a large compressor with higher pressure/volume it may have resolved the issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    It's been many years, but I'm positive the valve stem was at about 3 o'clock with the left happy trails pannier removed for access. I checked the air pressure after the tires had cooled down, and could not get the valve to seat with the little portable compressor we brought with us. If I had access to a large compressor with higher pressure/volume it may have resolved the issue.
    Oh ok, anythings possible, some supply a new valve core with the beads that prevents small debris supposedly They must have a microfine mesh in them but surely the dust has to pass the gasket to get to the mesh thus making them useless, haven't examined one so only guessing.
    Particles could have been introduced from the compressor side which could have jammed your valve is another possibility.
    A couple of spares might be the go if it's a concern.
    I've run dyna beads in my Harley, had the tyre guy reuse them for years in multiple tyres with no turning to dust or valve issues to report.

Spyder Garage

I used balance beads front and back, they work well.