Spyder Garage

Question Any feedback re F3-S with SlingMods tri-case setup versus F3 Ltd?

Hello Spyder Lovers,

I'm new to this forum. I'm seriously considering making the switch from 2 wheels to three and have been spending some time researching Can-Ams since I at least know that if I do make the switch, it will be to a Spyder. I've joined a couple of other forums also seeking feedback but figure I would post here as well.

I've pretty much decided to go with the F3 but I'm currently trying to decide between an F3-S with a tri-case setup and other add-ons versus an F3 Limited which comes with just about all the accessories. My use case is:
    • 80% of my riding will be commuting about 40 miles each way
    • 10% of my riding will be 2-up rides with my wife. Likely no longer than an 1-2 nights.
    • 10% of my rides will be solo touring, probably no longer than 2-3 nights.
    • I like music when I'm riding. My BMW R1200RT has a decent enough stereo that I can hear at freeway speeds with the windscreen all the way up. I also have Sena units in my helmets for in-helmet audio as well.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it getting the Limited with the self-leveling suspension and built-in 6-speaker stereo or if an F3-S with the sportier suspension and added on cases, sound bar or other 3rd party audio options, and an add-on windscreen would be sufficient. I'm kind of leaning towards the F3-S and adding accessories over time but there is a certain appeal to getting one fully loaded out the door. Again, I'm really interested in folks that have one or the other (or both) and why they went with the model they did. Especially folks who opted for an accessorized F3-S.

Thanks in advance...

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

HI Dave here, I am somewhat the same type of rider as you and I went with the F3S I just liked it better
    than the RT If yo want to chat give me a call 209-887-3283.
    I will point out that this forum is the oldest original CanAm Spyder Forum and I feel you will get more
    accurate and dependable information here than any other forum in regard to the Spyders
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 06-21-2023 at 03:07 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick reply! If it’s okay I’ll take you up on your offer and give you a buzz sometime this weekend.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppa View Post
    Hello Spyder Lovers,

I'm new to this forum. I'm seriously considering making the switch from 2 wheels to three and have been spending some time researching Can-Ams since I at least know that if I do make the switch, it will be to a Spyder. I've joined a couple of other forums also seeking feedback but figure I would post here as well.

I've pretty much decided to go with the F3 but I'm currently trying to decide between an F3-S with a tri-case setup and other add-ons versus an F3 Limited which comes with just about all the accessories. My use case is:
    • 10% of my riding will be 2-up rides with my wife. Likely no longer than an 1-2 nights.
    • I like music when I'm riding. My BMW R1200RT has a decent enough stereo that I can hear at freeway speeds with the windscreen all the way up. I also have Sena units in my helmets for in-helmet audio as well.

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it getting the Limited with the self-leveling suspension and built-in 6-speaker stereo or if an F3-S with the sportier suspension and added on cases, sound bar or other 3rd party audio options, and an add-on windscreen would be sufficient. I'm kind of leaning towards the F3-S and adding accessories over time but there is a certain appeal to getting one fully loaded out the door. Again, I'm really interested in folks that have one or the other (or both) and why they went with the model they did. Especially folks who opted for an accessorized F3-S.

Thanks in advance...
    This is an easy question to answer, Take the wife down to the dealer and you try and F3 two up; try an F3 Limited two up and then ask her what she thinks is better.
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-21-2023 at 04:56 PM. Reason: correct RTL to F3L
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Hello Spyder Lovers,

Thanks in advance...
    The F3-Limited is more than capable of handling all of your needs right out of the box. Of course you will probably want to change a few things to make it more comfortable for your style. The F3-S is a great choice also but would take time and more $ to get a similar setup. The performance of both are good and can be upgraded with throttle enhancements or ECU upgrades. I vote for the F3-L

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    The F3-Limited is more than capable of handling all of your needs right out of the box. Of course you will probably want to change a few things to make it more comfortable for your style. The F3-S is a great choice also but would take time and more $ to get a similar setup. The performance of both are good and can be upgraded with throttle enhancements or ECU upgrades. I vote for the F3-L
    I guess my main question is if I’m looking for a sportier ride, is the F3 Limited sporty enough that I wouldn’t notice the difference between it and and F3-S? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the F3-S is the only F3 model with a Sport mode. Also, is it possible to overwhelm the air rear suspension on the Limited under aggressive riding vs the sport focused shocks on the S?

Since I’ll be riding solo the majority of the time, I’d like a sportier ride over a plusher ride. Will a full set of hard cases start to impact an S’s sportier nature?
    Last edited by BigPoppa; 06-21-2023 at 04:55 PM.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

With the F3L the top case can be removed very easy to make it more sporty looking like the F3T, and as far as sport mode I'm sure you will be looking at paddle box and ecu up grades no matter what model you get.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Looking at the type of riding you will be doing, the Limited would be the better choice.

If concerned about not having a sport mode, add a BajaRon sway bar and a Pedal Commander.

https://www.google.com/search?q=can+...client=gws-wiz
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

My choice would be the F3-s with either Shad SH35 or SH36 cases that can be removed when you don't need them
    2015 F3-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

I went with the F3-S SS and added aftermarket Viking saddle bags. But if you go with the Shad bags they are much larger and hold more than the side bags on the F3-L. For 2-up riding you will need to upgrade the rear shock and spring.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yabbadabbadoo View Post
    I went with the F3-S SS and added aftermarket Viking saddle bags. But if you go with the Shad bags they are much larger and hold more than the side bags on the F3-L. For 2-up riding you will need to upgrade the rear shock and spring.
    Thanks...that's good to know about the capacity difference between at least the SHAD cases and integrated luggage. If I go the F3-S route I will definitely get the BRP 2-up rear shock. I didn't realize I would need a different spring as well so I'll factor that into my decision as well. From the F3 Limited side, can any owners confirm the availability or lack of Sport mode like the F3-S advertises as a feature? I do enjoy an occasional spirited romp along local twisty roads on my motorcycles so it would be nice to know if the Limited is as capable as the S in spirited riding or if the Limited would require suspension "upgrades" that lean more towards sport than comfort.

Spyder Garage

Thanks...that's good to know about the capacity difference between at least the SHAD cases and integrated luggage. If I go the F3-S route I will definitely get the BRP 2-up rear shock. I didn't realize I would need a different spring as well so I'll factor that into my decision as well. From the F3 Limited side, can any owners confirm the availability or lack of Sport mode like the F3-S advertises as a feature? I do enjoy an occasional spirited romp along local twisty roads on my motorcycles so it would be nice to know if the Limited is as capable as the S in spirited riding or if the Limited would require suspension "upgrades" that lean more towards sport than comfort.
    BigPoppa,

I have brand new 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue, I don't have the sport mode, but it goes thru the twisty roads well. (My previous spyder was an 2014 RTS-SE6).

Deanna

I guess my main question is if I’m looking for a sportier ride, is the F3 Limited sporty enough that I wouldn’t notice the difference between it and an F3-S? Correct me if I’m wrong, but the F3-S is the only F3 model with a Sport mode. Also, is it possible to overwhelm the air rear suspension on the Limited under aggressive riding vs the sport focused shocks on the S?

Since I’ll be riding solo the majority of the time, I’d like a sportier ride over a plusher ride. Will a full set of hard cases start to impact an S’s sportier nature?
    The F3 LTD Special has the comfort seat, which is very comfortable on long rides.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-02-2023 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Merged immediately consecutive posts...

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Thank you very much everyone for your comments both in this post and on these forums in general. After spending the past week on an F3-S rental I’ve decided to go ahead and make the switch to 3 wheels. After talking it over with my wife I’m now shopping for an F3 Limited. There are a few I’ve found that I’ll follow-up on after the 4th of July holiday.

Once I purchase one I’ll definitely post pics.

Thanks again for a great and helpful community. I’ve learned quite a bit here and hope to continue learning about Spyders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

F3ltd baja ron sway bar rls cat delete monster stage 2 good starting point then m2 shocks

Spyder Garage

Thanks @fatboy... the BajaRon sway bar and end links are definitely at the top of my list...just behind the rider's back rest and passenger arm rests. After that I'm leaning towards Elka shocks front and rear as well as LED lights and driving/auxiliary lights.

Spyder Garage

BigPoppa - I first rode a base F3. I liked it, but my wife could not see it. I ended up purchasing a 2019 F3L. My reasoning was I really wanted the storage right away so rides to work were covered. My wife was Okay, but still not 100% sold. I put the arm rests on and now she is asking me if we can go for rides. I would make them the first change.
    2019 Limited , Moved brake forward - Lamonster orange

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I decided to go with something in the middle of the 2. I went with the F3T. It gave me more comfort in the form of wind protection, a stereo, better riding for 2 up than the F3S, and the ability to add a luggage rack to mount a givi box that gave more storage than the F3L (54L vs, 47L). I am very happy with the decision.
    The bike pictured is my 2016 F3L Special Series. But in 2016 the F3L did not have a top box, so it is the same as what you would have with the current F3T, except for the larger rear sprocket on the older models.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback guys. Arm rests are a must have for sure. Gotta keep my wife happy.

blacklightning, that's a nice F3T. As an owner of both an F3T and an RTL, what's your impression of the differences between them? When I rented the F3-S I was struck by how short it actually was compared to online pictures. I haven't had a chance to check out a 2020+ RTL nor an F3L in person yet (although I'm planning on doing so next weekend) but again, online pictures give the impression of a larger vehicle than the F3S. While I'm definitely getting a Limited model, I'm now more open to either an F3 or an RT. Is there a significant difference in passenger accommodations between the two or are pictures deceiving and are there only small differences between the two models?

Spyder Garage

Again, I just wanted to say thank you for the great feedback not only in this thread but across the forum as a whole. I’m happy to report that I’ve officially joined the Spyder family. I picked up my new F3 Limited this afternoon and I’m very pleased with my purchase. I was going to get the “base” limited but after seeing the matte mineral blue special edition on the dealer’s floor I decided to go ahead and splurge.

I did spend some time doing back to back test rides of the RT Limited and the F3 Limited to see if my wife would have any reason to shoot down the F3 (my desired model). I’m happy to say that she didn’t like the riding position on the RT as much as the F3. She liked being a bit lower down so inside I was doing my happy dance. I’m looking forward to our first mini tour over the labor day weekend.

I’ll post pictures in the newbies section sometime tomorrow or Friday. It was a hot ride home here in Northern California and I’m pretty drained.
    Last edited by BigPoppa; 07-26-2023 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Grammar

Spyder Garage

Bigpoppa, give yourself sometime getting to know and ride the Spyder. Big difference going from a two wheeler. At first, one can get discouraged because of the different riding sensations, but after 1000 miles, you will feel right at home.