Spyder Garage

Default What Lithium battery do you recommend?

Hello,

What is a good Lithium battery for my 22 RTL I am getting lights put on my bike 6-24 and I think it is best to get upgrade my battery any idea's

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Contact the folks at Anti-Gravity Batteries. antigravitybatteries.com They're the brand I use and have been very happy with them for over three years. I'm not near my RT or I would get the model number for you, but they will assist in getting what you want.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Living about 3 miles from Ann & Joe from "Squared Away" and given the number of miles Ann puts on her Spyders, one of her recommendations to me was the Shorai.
    I have had it since December (not long) but completely satisfied with it's performance.
    Model LFX36L3-BS12 not "inexpensive" but crank time is now instantaneous and does not need a tender 24/7. It does like most lithium require a tender/charger that supports Lithium and can be tendered 24/7 with the correct tender.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I'm in the exact position as you are. I'm going to replace my 4 year old OEM battery in the next couple weeks. I might just try the NOCO NLP20 Lith-Ion. About $180 from multiple vendors. We shall see...

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

I have the NOCO NLP20 and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfixer View Post
    I have the NOCO NLP20 and wouldn't trade it for anything else.
    What date did you install and how many miles since? What is it you specifically like about it? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinLV View Post
    Living about 3 miles from Ann & Joe from "Squared Away" and given the number of miles Ann puts on her Spyders, one of her recommendations to me was the Shorai.
    I have had it since December (not long) but completely satisfied with it's performance.
    Model LFX36L3-BS12 not "inexpensive" but crank time is now instantaneous and does not need a tender 24/7. It does like most lithium require a tender/charger that supports Lithium and can be tendered 24/7 with the correct tender.

AJ
    I ran the Shorai in my 2009 Yamaha Raider and then in my Honda VTX, I also highly recommend it.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Spyder Garage

I put an Antigravity lithium battery in my Ktm and have been happy with it so far. When our new 23 Canam Spyder RT needs one it will be a lithium. From what I’ve heard is that they will last longer than a lead acid battery and the cost has come down on them.
    2023 RT Limited , Red/ black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

With all the reports of fires due to Lithium batteries, has anyone here experienced one? Or know of someone who has?

I know they are a lot lighter and have more cranking power, but looking at it realistically, dropping 10-15 pounds(?) on a 1150 pound machine is not going to improve performance very much, and if your machine is reasonably tuned, just how long does it need to crank to get it started? Even a weak AGM battery can handle that.

Until the safety issue has a much better record, I'm sticking with an AGM battery in my bikes.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

The main thing with the lithium batteries is that you must have a "maintainer for lithium batteries".
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Never needed one for the Shorai's I ran on my motorcycles. But sometimes I used the Battery Tender Junior with no problem.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Burgman2RT View Post
    Hello,

What is a good Lithium battery for my 22 RTL I am getting lights put on my bike 6-24 and I think it is best to get upgrade my battery any idea's

Thanks
    My contrarian view is wait for 4 or 5 years before switching. Why? Because the OEM battery is a very good battery and will have no problem handling the small added load from LED lights. Using a lithium-ion battery in the Spyder, IMO, is like using a Mack truck instead of a pickup to haul 500# of sand for your kid's sandbox!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    My contrarian view is wait for 4 or 5 years before switching. Why? Because the OEM battery is a very good battery and will have no problem handling the small added load from LED lights. Using a lithium-ion battery in the Spyder, IMO, is like using a Mack truck instead of a pickup to haul 500# of sand for your kid's sandbox!
    My oem battery lasted from 2020 to early 2023 so right at 3 years for me and that's going from the MFG date (early 2020) and not the date that I purchased the Spyder (12-31-2020).
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue