Spyder Garage

Default Should there be free-play in a Freedom Trailer Tongue?

Should there be up and down free play on the tongue of my Freedom trailer? The square steel tongue slides into a square steel frame channel and is attached with two bolts. When I lift up or push down on the tongue I get some movement. The two bolts are tight. It seems as if the rear tongue bolt hole is larger than the bolt allowing some movement. I suppose this could be by design but not convinced of that.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2023 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

no there should be no movement

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Poasttown View Post
    Should there be up and down free play on the tongue of my Freedom trailer? The square steel tongue slides into a square steel frame channel and is attached with two bolts. When I lift up or push down on the tongue I get some movement. The two bolts are tight. It seems as if the rear tongue bolt hole is larger than the bolt allowing some movement. I suppose this could be by design but not convinced of that.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    The coupler can be adjusted to limit this ..... However, I don't think it could ever Eliminate it .... I changed out the Ball and coupler for a "tie-rod" type connection ..... It never makes any sound .... and is a security device to prevent easy theft .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2023 at 10:43 PM. Reason: ouit... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Thanks Blueknight and fatboy for your comments. After closer inspection it appears that the rear bolt hole in both the tongue and frame is a bit oversized allowing for this movement.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

Thanks for your post, now I know mine is not the only one. I have considered putting a metal shim on top or bottom, keeping the bar at the up or down limit. If you find another solution let us know.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Blueknight and fatboy for your comments. After closer inspection it appears that the rear bolt hole in both the tongue and frame is a bit oversized allowing for this movement.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    Perchance is the bolt hole drilled for a US size bolt and the bolt is a slightly smaller metric, or vice versa? If you have to, drill out the hole a bit larger and put in a bolt that is a tight fit.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I’m going to check the metric vs US Bolt size idea Idahomtnspyder mentioned. I will take my calipers to the hardware store to check. I don’t suspect this slop is a major problem and didn’t notice any issues on my first road trip with the trailer. However, I’m guessing it would be better if this movement didn’t occur.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L

Spyder Garage

I’m going to check the metric vs US Bolt size idea Idahomtnspyder mentioned. I will take my calipers to the hardware store to check. I don’t suspect this slop is a major problem and didn’t notice any issues on my first road trip with the trailer. However, I’m guessing it would be better if this movement didn’t occur.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    The way the Spyder hitch bounces up and down you don't want to give the tongue any more reason to move than you have to. What will happen is over the long haul if the hole is larger than the bolt the up and down movement may cause the hole to wear into an oval shape, causing more looseness.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

The rest of the story.
    I purchased a bolt the next size larger in a “US” size. Now the original hole was a bit smaller than my new bolt, but not by much. I reamed out the hole with a drill bit the same size as the new bolt and assembled. This pretty much eliminated the free play. There remains a small amount of movement but much less than before. I suspect the remaining free play may be from the front bolt.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    2022 Freedom trailer

Spyder Garage

The rest of the story.
    I purchased a bolt the next size larger in a “US” size. Now the original hole was a bit smaller than my new bolt, but not by much. I reamed out the hole with a drill bit the same size as the new bolt and assembled. This pretty much eliminated the free play. There remains a small amount of movement but much less than before. I suspect the remaining free play may be from the front bolt.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    2022 Freedom trailer
    Good deal!

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for their comments.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L