Registered Users
    WISCONSIN....Across The Road From the Holsteins
    Spyder Garage

Default $20,000 Plus Concerns

I was looking to see if this subject was addressed or discussed here in the passed, but found nothing, so here's my questions.

Many times we hear riders comment about when a certain model cycle is introduced to the public as a new model, either new or resigned,
    they will stand on the side lines and wait for the bugs to surface before spending their hard earned dollars and taking that first plunge to buy.

Now I read/followed this BRP Canadian Manufacturing Company that manufactuers many rec vehicles with great success.
    This part of the country, snowmobiles come to mind with their Ska-Doo line.

That being said, hears some questions I'm asking myself on a purchase of a new Spyder RT without going into this with blinders on.

What's your feelings on cutting a check for $20,000 + to purchase a new RT in hopes you'll experience everything that is written about this new product?

What about some bugs?

You think these units are ready to be released without any big recalls?

Are you willing to experience your new ride sitting at a dealership waiting for replacement/recall parts to clear customs?

I'm not asking this questions here not to get flamed, just throwing this out for your thoughts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will share what I did - this is not a recommendation to you or anyone else.

In 2008 after researching trikes, including trike conversion kit for my motorcycle, I found the CAN-AM Spyder on the internet. Read reviews, found this and other forums and after 1 month of reading and asking questions everyday, I decided to purchase a Spyder.

Never saw the Spyder in person until it arrived at my house and fortunately for me it has proven to be pure joy.
    It was also at a comparable price to that of a quality custom trike conversion kit for my FZ1 ($16K).

I think that the Spyder is the world's first multi-year production 2front/1rear wheel trike and is sold in many countries. As such it is not unreasonable to expect some anomalies. With patience and a cool head, I have found BRP to be very responsive to warranty claims and is committed to this vehicle.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

RT-S PE-0399
    Spyder Garage

If you want to wait until something is perfect, you could have a long wait. No matter what you buy, it can problems. After all, they are made by people just like us, imperfect. That is why they come with warrenties, to get past the oops.

I believe that BRP has learned a lot over the past year and a half. Also the economy has helped cut the chaff from the wheat, so that only those shops that are doing things right are going to be around.

Are there some concerns, a little, but I intend on riding my RT-S thru them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michaels cycle View Post
    I was looking to see if this subject was addressed or discussed here in the passed, but found nothing, so here's my questions.

Many times we hear riders comment about when a certain model cycle is introduced to the public as a new model, either new or resigned,
    they will stand on the side lines and wait for the bugs to surface before spending their hard earned dollars and taking that first plunge to buy.

Now I read/followed this BRP Canadian Manufacturing Company that manufactuers many rec vehicles with great success.

That being said, hears some questions I'm asking myself on a purchase of a new Spyder RT without going into this with blinders on.

What's your feelings on cutting a check for $20,000 + to purchase a new RT in hopes you'll experience everything that is written about this new product?

No doubt $20000+ is a lot of money and requires due diligence to make the purchase but the experiences that you are talking about is dependent on the way you react to situations. No doubt the rides and gathering like Gatlinburg are great experiences but that experience can occur with any bike if you have the right attitude. I'm looking for a ride to use for long distance vacations and if it should break on the trip then so be it. I'm sure I'll not be happy about it but I'll get over and move on.

What about some bugs?

Let the dealership deal with them.

Who knows Toyota's are having recalls now and my Ford has had a couple of recalls. I don't think we'll be guinea pigs that's what the RT - 5 are doing.

Are you willing to experience your new ride sitting at a dealership waiting for replacement/recall parts to clear customs?

I don't think anybody wants to experience waiting on replacement parts but I do know parts can get through customs quickly when there is an irate customer involved. If it has to come to that.

I'm not asking this questions here not to get flamed, just throwing this out for your thoughts.
    Just my .02

I am more concerned about the cost to service. Some have posted some outrageous charges but the pricing the dealer gave me on the 600 mile service for the RS is reasonable so I hope the RT will be along the same pricing.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 8 Legged Freak View Post
    If you want to wait until something is perfect, you could have a long wait. No matter what you buy, it can problems. After all, they are made by people just like us, imperfect. That is why they come with warrenties, to get past the oops.

I believe that BRP has learned a lot over the past year and a half. Also the economy has helped cut the chaff from the wheat, so that only those shops that are doing things right are going to be around.

Are there some concerns, a little, but I intend on riding my RT-S thru them.
    +1

I've had a few minor and one major issue with my Spyder but that's why I bought the extended warranty. I love the thing when I'm riding it and it has enabled me to experience traveling in a way that I had given up on over 20 years ago.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    I love the thing when I'm riding it and it has enabled me to experience traveling in a way that I had given up on over 20 years ago.
    I had to give up 20+ years ago as well due to a balance issue. I never really liked the "traditional" trikes, so I had given up hopes of riding again...until I saw a Spyder. I love it and ride it whenever I can...like this morning when it was 28 degrees when I left home to go to work!

Number One: 2008 Yellow GS SM5. I love my Spyder.
    Number Two: 2012 RT-S Limited (the poop colored RT) I still have Number One, but Some Girl made me buy Number Two...

Spyder Garage

My problem is I'm not very good at waiting for anything. If I see something I like I buy it and deal with it later. I ordered my current Spyder months before I ever saw one. The last new bike I bought was a M109R and I bought it before I ever drove it. Guess the RT is one of the first rides I've been able to put some miles on before I buy one.

God's Country, Keystone Heights, FL "Happy Owner"
    Spyder Garage

Default Waiting on the side lines...

does not ensure you will get a machine without problems. I also ride Gold Wings and have owned four. All have been good but I consider the 1982 and the 1989 the best. The 89 was such a perfect machine I kept it for 18.5 years and when I sold it I missed before it got out of site. I even tried to buy it back. I now have an 2008. It really disappointed me the first few weeks I owned it. To get it to perform correctly "?suspension wise" I had to have a complete front end and suspension system installed, price 2400. Now this one is performs as it should.

My point in sharing this is no matter how long a company makes a machine some years will be perfection and other years will be disappointing.

I, we, rode the 08 Spyder at the beginning of 09... then we rode the SE model in April of 09 and we had to have one. Since then I have purchased two low mileage 08's. We have never looked back. Yes there have been some inconveniences. Will we continue to ride Spyders... definitely! /Ken

A happy Spyder owner!
    Ken krb1945 "Happy Owner"
    USN DAV 100% 'er
    Proud grandfather of a former United States Marine
    1 2008 SM5 PE 548
    1 2008 SM5, 1 2009 SE5
    2008 GL1800

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by michaels cycle View Post

What about some bugs?

My wife and I are going through some of the things you mentioned with our 2008 Spyders. I didn't really have any concerns about buying the Spyders before there were any in production, especially after we bought the 3 year additional warranty. We have lived through what I consider minor issues that took a few days to get taken care of. Now we are stuck with two Spyders out of commission (going on two months now) because of major issues, waiting on backordered parts and BRPs engineers to decide how they want the dealer to proceed with the repairs. I would like the Spyders to be back but I'm not willing to throw in the towel because of it. The same would apply if I was in the position you describe for buying an RT.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Brian, your patience and confidence with BRP is inspiring......I would not be anywhere near as tolerant as you, were I in your shoes........Just remember, throwing in the towel, and demanding competent treatment are two different things.... What would BRP have said, if you told them when you purchased......."I know I'm a couple grand short, but just let me take 'em, and in a couple months I'll square up with ya'.....I'm good for it......."

Well, they'd have said 'take a hike'.....But we're supposed to accept it from them......I just don't get it..........
    Here all this time I thought Harley riders were some of the most tolerant riders on the planet. I know when my FXR would leave a big puddle of oil everywhere I went the dealer would just say "they all do that".

Spyder Garage

I'm sorry Bro, BRP flew a tech out to look at your problem even though it wasn't a problem at the time but just to make you feel better about it they still swapped out parts for you. Bummer is the first part was bad, luck of the draw I guess but still they did their best to make you happy yet you're still sour grapes about the whole deal. I just don't think that's being fair.

By the way this is the second year production for the Spyder. So how many years did it take for Harleys to quit leaking? Not that it matters but it does prove a point that people were willing to put up with leaking under powered motors for years yet you want to throw BRP under the bus after what they did do to try and make you feel better about your Spyder. I just don't get it.

Spyder Garage

Default Check out some more of the competition to ease you mind

Maybe do a little research to see what else is out there. I just bought a new SM5 in October. I really like it alot and have had no problems yet.I only have 700 miles on it though. I also have a 2008 Harley Road King. If you plan on doing alot of traveling you might want to look at some other bikes if your okay with just 2 wheels. The spyder is alot of fun riding around town and maybe on the interstate a short distance but if you plan on longer trips i don't know if you would be satisfied with it. I rode mine down the interstate about 2 miles before i bought it and it and i could tell it really needs another gear to cut down on the RPMs. I bought it anyway. For $20,000 dollars you can look at alot of other higher in bikes that you may like better. I paid $ 21,000 for my Road King in 2008. Its a pleasure to ride on the interstate or back roads. For me its alot more comfortable. The spyder get alot of attention but i am just not sure how reliable it will be. On the American bikes and most of the metric bikes if you break down you can find a dealer that can fix it easier perhaps. I do all my own maintenance on my bikes. That may be something you would want to consider since a oil change cost $257.00 at my dealer and they recommend you take it there the 1st oil change so they can check for updates. You can have trouble with anything you buy but there are alot of Bike companys out there that have been building bike along time. With all this said i still like my spyder alot i just think a bigger V-Twin with a 6 speed would help it out more. People stop you wherever you go to look at it. I like it and would say if you want something thats a blast to ride go for it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Brian, your patience and confidence with BRP is inspiring......I would not be anywhere near as tolerant as you, were I in your shoes........Just remember, throwing in the towel, and demanding competent treatment are two different things.... What would BRP have said, if you told them when you purchased......."I know I'm a couple grand short, but just let me take 'em, and in a couple months I'll square up with ya'.....I'm good for it......."

Well, they'd have said 'take a hike'.....But we're supposed to accept it from them......I just don't get it..........
    you both have been very patient and at least all this going on is close to home

Spyder Garage

Default 20,000 plus concerns

I have a suzuki burgman 650 with a cvt automatic, and while i've had mine 2 years now and 13,000 miles. I've only had a miner recall. But some have had transmission failer which cost up to 3,000 dollars and most every one took 6 months min. to 1 year to get parts from Japan and finally get it fixed. Also some of these dealers are not trained well to fix these scooters So i would'nt worry about a failer that has'nt happened. I'm waiting for the RTS to come to test ride. I've already sat on a non running RTS and just love the feel and quality of it. Well built for the money. Cant wait till it gets here.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

I wasn't implying that anyone else was throwing in the towel or that it was a bad thing if they did. It just meant that I am not ready to sell the Spyder because of my problems or the serious problems that others have had.

I do agree that they have the upper hand right now and I don't like that. However, I just don't see the point in getting my blood pressure up, stomping around the dealership making loud demands and trying to call BRP direct and yelling at someone on the phone. Sure I'm missing some riding time but I'm in this for the long haul and plan to have many more nice riding days in the years ahead.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by indian02 View Post
    ... If you plan on doing alot of traveling you might want to look at some other bikes if your okay with just 2 wheels. The spyder is alot of fun riding around town and maybe on the interstate a short distance but if you plan on longer trips i don't know if you would be satisfied with it. I rode mine down the interstate about 2 miles before i bought it and it and i could tell it really needs another gear to cut down on the RPMs.
    Really! I've ridden my Spyder a little under 15k. Have been to Valcort, Canada (about a 2,000 mile trip), California and back (5,500 miles, 3 days out and 3 days back with (1) 1,100 mile + day), Florida (800 miles one way in 1 day), and Kansas (800+ miles 1 way in one day).

I'd say my Spyder is as comfortable or more comfortable than anything else I've owned including my Honda Valkyrie (which was a very comfortable bike).

6th gear would be nice but it's not as necessary as people think. Many of us just have not gotten used to the RPM range the Rotax motor prefers. We are used to lower spinning power plants and we want our Spyder do conform to our past machines rather than adjust our riding style to what works best for the Spyder.

It is interesting that different people can have such varying experiences. I think it has more to do with perspective than it does with the machine.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Here is my take on the "Get an RT now or wait" debate.

The 2008 RS had some problems that, for the most part, have been addressed. I have a 2008 PE.

There were less issues (but still some) with the 2009 production run. I am convinced BRP is working hard on these and will resolve them.

BRP is surely incorporating everything they've learned into current production models. I'd say the patience and cooperation of many here on this forum has contributed greatly to this cause.

There is every reason to believe the 2010 RS units will be the most reliable yet.

Though the RT is "New" it shares a lot of components and concepts with the RS. If BRP was not extremely interested in getting this right the 1st time the RT would already be sitting in your dealer's show room.

BRP has wisely sacrificed inital sales (and revenue flow) for a quality product. If BRP is showing this much committment to the RT then I think it fair to assume that committment will be followed up after the sale.

I personally think the RT will blow the socks off everything else on 3 wheels.

I can see some that are buying another trike now having buyers remorse when they see very reliable RT's running circles around them.

Yes, there are a few Spyder owners having problems now, and yes, there probably will be a few RT owners who have problems as well. But I think the chances of a serious problem with an RT is small and shrinking every day.

I guess we can check back in a year and see how I did....
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes, loyal customers are the only thing that keeps a company going. Those of us who have been around a while remember how bad
    H-D's quality had become when they were owned by AMF. And we remember how hard the company struggled to stay afloat after the H-D management/employees bought the company. The only people who bought Harleys in those days were the die-hard, loyal Harley riders who just wouldn't ride anything else. Because of them, H-D is one of the biggest success stories in the industry and they currently build some pretty good bikes.

I'm sure glad that the Spyder has some of those loyal customers. Right now they may be the difference between success and failure. I don't own a spyder yet and one of the reasons is that I can't bring myself to sell one of my BMW's. I seriously want a Spyder but I still love the way my BMW rides.

Registered Users
    WISCONSIN....Across The Road From the Holsteins
    Spyder Garage

It's the cost verses quality that bugs me, plus, trouble free riding that should go hand in hand, and many times it's "buyer be ware."

Example Harley:
    Those people have been milking the general public over the coals for years with poor quality and raising prices.
    Maybe just in the last 5 years their finally putting a bike together that warrants the price.
    Hell, for the number of years they been around, their bikes should be completly trouble free by now.
    It's like comparing Toyota with GM, Ford or Chrysler. One is doing great and the other three are going under.

I going to watch the new RT like a hawk in the coming months, and hope
    BRP came get this program off the ground to a point where the public is going to say that $25,000 was well spent.