Spyder Garage

Default What the heck is going on with my '22 RTL Gutless wonder? Anyone?

Took my first long trip with a passenger on my 22 RTL this weekend. Went to pass a slow-moving car and I couldn't get any more than 63 mph with wide open throttle in 6th gear. What the heck is going on? Anyone??

Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2023 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Did you see anything flashing on the dash?? And did you try manually changing down a gear or maybe two??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Did you see anything flashing on the dash?? And did you try manually changing down a gear or maybe two??
    ....I have a 1330 engine also, even in ECO mode I have no problems passing at any speed if you are in the proper gear for doing this - PERIOD ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I did not have an error messages or flashing anything. I was on a flat piece of road so it didn't occur to me to change gears. I was shocked at the performance and ran out of time to pass the car so had to slow down.

Spyder Garage

6th gear is for even throttle, or maintaining same speed. Depending on what speed you were doing, a kick down to 5th or 4th for sure 1 up or 2 up. If you couldn't get past 63 mph, could have just been overloaded with fuel from wide open throttle, then easily down to 5th maybe 4th. Either ECO on or ECO off
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Try 5th gear... or 4th

How big is your windshield?

Do you have a PedalBox installed?

Was it hot?

Do you run premium fuel?
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Not in ECO mode. I was picking up speed to pass then she (the car) sped up just a bit so I went wide open throttle and nothing.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

...Definitely need to downshift 1 or 2 gears. Just a lite thought. Your Spyder's big, and it needed a little help in doing what you wanted to do.

Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2023 at 05:42 AM. Reason: Individual post titles within a thread make searching harder for all! %7/
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had that same feeling as well but found the lower gears 3rd and 4th especially out on rt.40 for some reason people around here like to race you when you go to pass them even though they may be doing 10-15 mph below the speed limit (50) then jack it up to 70 when you go to pass them.
    4th does a good job of that I have also found 4th gear to be my friend when accelerating on steep curvy grades on my F3.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

These engines really do not build/make any power under 3K RPM.

You really need to drop it into 4th so that you're spinning the engine up to 5K rpm and making good passing power, then once past said slow poke, don't back off the throttle until you've got a good 20-30 car lengths on them.

Why so far? Because in all my years of riding there's a 90% chance that they're going to run up on you just because they're in a CAGE, you pissed them off by passing, and now they will try to intimidate you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2023 at 05:39 AM. Reason: 're & ,'s ;-)

Spyder Garage

Grasping at straws since I wasn't there at the time, I wonder if you were riding with cruise control on and set when you started to pass. I have noticed that if I have cruise set and don't cancel it when I accelerate that the wireless throttle really mutes the acceleration of the bike. Downshifting, in my opinion, gets you two advantages. The first advantage is the increased sensitivity of the throttle due to cancelling cruise and the other is the increased torque from the lower gear ratio. Just my thoughts.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Riding a Spyder is like pushing a barndoor down the road. Aerodynamics on these things are terrible. Sixth gear is for cruising the interstate. You need to pass or get quicker acceleration? Downshift. Even on level ground with a tailwind.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captcharles View Post
    Took my first long trip with a passenger on my 22 RTL this weekend. Went to pass a slow-moving car and I couldn't get any more than 63 mph with wide open throttle in 6th gear. What the heck is going on? Anyone??

Thanks
    Please, you need to look into this. My wife and I were recently cruising down I-75 at 75 MPH. With no sign it wouldn't go faster. And we are real porkers. Let's say the bike was FULLY loaded.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Funny, I was thinking 3rd gear to start a pass at 60ish, then 4th or 5th to finish it. Also how many miles does the motor have on it.? Someone hear determined that the 1330's don't really finish breaking in until several thousand miles of riding. I don't think I've ever attempted passing in 6th gear, even when I'm out doing 80+ on I-90 in soDak heading west.
    consider Re-Reading the Do's and Do Not's post #1 Shifting 1330 section, that might help, https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...read.php?41346
    Last edited by DGoebel; 06-20-2023 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added link to shifting section or Do's and ......
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

As one mentioned, with cruise set. acceleration is different. 63 in 6th with two on and accelerate is a bit much for bike and grabbing another lower gear would make a big difference.

Spyder Garage

It all comes down to riding the machine as designed. The Spyder is not a crotch rocket. That's why we ride them. Because we don't want a crotch rocket.

6th gear is designed to reduce RPM and engine wear. Increase fuel mileage, and give you a smooth cruise. It is not designed to accelerate with any authority. Depending on your speed. You're going to need at least 1, 2, or possibly 3 gears lower to get up and go.

Also, with the stock, fly by wire, setup. You're not going to get instant full throttle, even though you crank the grip all the way to lock. There is quite a delay built into this process. It's not like the old days with cable to throttle body (or carbs) instant response.

And, at some point, the computer begins to back the throttle body butterflies off of WOT regardless of where you have the hand grip. Because Corporate BRP knows best what you need and overrides your foolish decision to keep full throttle.

If you really want to got 100% of your Spyder's capabilities. A throttle modifier is required. And, I might say, highly recommended. As I've mentioned before. I thought these gizmos were more hype than function. But that all changed when we installed a Pedal Box on our F3. Wow! Very Impressed!. Even if you don't think you need the added get-up-and-go. It really makes the ride a lot more fun.

I put these into the 'Good Stuff' category. We've installed a good number of Pedal Boxes and, so far, there have been Big Smiles with each customer.

One gentleman insisted that we set his at max during the install. We respectfully declined, explaining that we always send the customer out at Street +2 setting. This gives a chance to get used to the change in a safe manner. And, of course, it can be easily adjusted by the rider.

He was a bit upset with our stubbiness. Even though we explained that a max setting would not be wise.

When he came to get his Spyder. We asked him to take it for a test spin and return to let us know what he thought.

He came back saying 'I think this setting is all I really need right now'. He was happy and that made us happy.

If the sun's out... Go Riding!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-21-2023 at 09:19 AM.

Spyder Garage

I may be wrong but is there a "rental mode" in the BUDS that will not let a rider get over 65MPH ? Just a thought.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2023 at 12:10 AM. Reason: BUDDS... ;-/

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I'm having a problem with 60+ in 3rd gear

Spyder Garage

Find a remote road and get to know your machine. Full throttle from a standing start up through the gears to your comfort level.You'll find the nanny limits the power till you hit 4th gear then you get full beans.The acceleration tapers off in 5th and 6th depending on load and gradient thereafter.
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cobwebs View Post
    Find a remote road and get to know your machine. Full throttle from a standing start up through the gears to your comfort level.You'll find the nanny limits the power till you hit 4th gear then you get full beans.The acceleration tapers off in 5th and 6th depending on load and gradient thereafter.
    Yes but downshifting from 6 to 3, I just feel something is going to break

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    You probably don't need 3rd gear every time. It depends on your initial speed. But rest assured, the transmission is designed to do this. And it puts much less stress on the engine than trying to accelerate from 60 mph in 6th gear.

Spyder Garage

The nanny won't let you down shift and spin the motor over 5200 RPM, lord knows I have tried several hundred times.

It also has a rev limiter 1st-4th set to 8500 rpm ( hit that a few hundred times ).

6th gear is set to 5000 RPM or 105 MPH (lame).

And yes I have deliberated tried to grenade the trans and motor because I need to find the weak link and build it better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    These engines are understressed, plenty of margin for safe limits. Rev limiter knows its job.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2023 at 06:50 PM. Reason: ' ' ;-)
    Kenda wars survivor

Registered crackpot

Informed consent

''Experts" say eating red meat makes the sun hot
    2017 F3S Daytona , Circuit Yellow Metalic

Spyder Garage

put a pedal commander on it. It's night and day especially 2 up
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents