Spyder Garage

Default For those of you with them, what Sheepskin cover care do you use?

Last year I purchased a Sheepskin cover for my F3-S at Spyders in the Ozarks. So far it has never been rained on. I am leaving later this week on a 10 day trip and the forecast for the day I leave is rain. And I will probably run into rain during the trip. For those of you that have a sheepskin cover do you worry about it getting wet? If it does get wet how do you dry it? Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2023 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

My wife has an Alaska Leather sheepskin that is probably ten years old. If we are traveling and hit rain she will remove it and put it in the trunk if possible. If not possible it gets wet and she will use the AC/Heat unit in the motel room to dry it. She has used the motels guest laundry if they have one to dry it as well. Worse comes to worse find a laundromat and toss it in a dryer. Uncomfortable to ride on when wet, but it won't hurt it to get wet, never seen any sheep melting.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I've had Alaskan Leather Sheepskins for many years. I do remove it if riding in rain. Going through a little sprinkle doesn't hurt, but heavy or constant rain and it goes in the trunk.....
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Both post #2 and #3 are right on.

I have had Alaska sheepskins for many years. I bought mine in person from the owner of the company. They cater to the HD crowd, have lots and lots of leathers, chaps, patches, vests, helmets, and sheepskin seat covers. Also sold FirstGear...I bought all my stuff there because of the great in person service.

Still have the FG stuff, a couple pair of leather chaps, and a couple biker vests as well as the original sheepskin pads.

The advice about keeping them out of the rain is good. If the finish is worn, they will absorb water like a sponge. A long time to dry off. Great riding though. We have thousands of miles on Alaska Leather sheepskins.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Had sheepskins on an old Volvo 242. Kept them when I sold the car. Cut a piece that wasn't worn, trimmed it a bit so it fit the saddle, added an elastic piece of cloth which runs under the seat.

Voila! Sheepskin 'cycle cushion.

The original skins were very high quality. My seat cover has been on two motorcycles and now the Spyder. Easy on/off. Makes a nice cushion on top of my pillow when camping.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

I bought the one from lamonster but have since moved to the new Corbin seat so at the moment, I'm not using the sheepskin cover (pictured below). Not sure I will use it because it covers up the gas cap door in the seat.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have Misty Mountain Sheepskin "pads". They have a liner on the back side like a tool box drawer would have: they just sit on the seat. They are stable while riding but they will blow off in a wind when parked. In the latter case, we tuck them in the passenger hand-holds or place them in trunk or saddlebag. While it doesn't hurt to get them wet, they do have a curious odor that we don't find appealing. Like others have stated, if the rain is heavy enough to start running down surfaces, we place the sheepskin out of the weather: in the enclosed trunk or saddlebag, or wrap in a plastic bag and strap to the outside. If they do get wet, it takes a long time for them to dry. I believe Lamonster now sells Misty Mountain branded sheepskin.

We ride solo. After using this style, I would not go back to a full-on seat cover. The pads offer all the comfort benefits of a full cover but none of the installation and removal challenges.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap