Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Any opinions on using Rain X on your Spyder's Windshield?

Question for the experienced users out there:
    Any opinions on using Rain X For Plastic on your Spyder's Windshield?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2023 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Do it, I have it on everything from the Boat to my truck... it worked great 2 days ago when I got caught in the rain....
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Personally, I have never liked it on anything, I won't even use their wiper blades.

For me driving at night it has a huge halo/glare that I can't stand.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    ONLY use RAIN-X FOR PLASTIC , not the Regular kind. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I use the cleaner from ACE Hardware; $5.99.
    Here:https://www.acehardware.com/departme...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Works a charm. Also good for driving goggles, headlamp/brake/turn signal lenses.
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Do it! Honestly any modern ceramic/graphene will do the trick as well.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I got in some light rain recently. My windshield had been nicely cleaned and waxed recently. This caused the water to nicely bead up, slide up the windshield, then HIT ME IN THE FACE. I wish there was a way to route these sliding raindrops over to the side.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GRHorst View Post
    I got in some light rain recently. My windshield had been nicely cleaned and waxed recently. This caused the water to nicely bead up, slide up the windshield, then HIT ME IN THE FACE. I wish there was a way to route these sliding raindrops over to the side.
    Run a thin 'finger-line' bead of Vaseline across the middle/top edge of the windshield but leave 1/2 an inch or so clear/untouched on either edge.

The water will still slide up the windshield, but if your bead is sufficiently thick (not wide tho!) it'll be stopped by the bead and run out towards the edge of the screen, where it'll run off the edge & hopefully blow backwards & out instead of into your face!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I've tried the Rain-X for plastic on visors and glasses to prevent fogging in colder weather. In short, I didn't like it. In order to get the moisture dispersing qualities, you have to leave a slight film on the surface. That slight film, since it's so close to your eye, causes blurring. It was a similar effect on windscreens when I tried it there. If you buzz it with the cloth to the point that it's clear, it doesn't do anything. Plus, it doesn't clean well at all. Not a fan.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KX5062 View Post
    I've tried the Rain-X for plastic on visors and glasses to prevent fogging in colder weather. In short, I didn't like it. In order to get the moisture dispersing qualities, you have to leave a slight film on the surface. That slight film, since it's so close to your eye, causes blurring. It was a similar effect on windscreens when I tried it there. If you buzz it with the cloth to the point that it's clear, it doesn't do anything. Plus, it doesn't clean well at all. Not a fan.
    Hmmmmmm. The one for plastics works really great for me.
    Ray & Marci
    Tenino, WA
    2014RTL Cognac
    ALWAYS ride 2 up.

Spyder Garage

I use a Saeng micro swirl edge. Supposed to cause a swirl in the air to lift it over your head. I use it to catch the rain that slides up the windscreen and keep it from going down the back side. Transfered it over from my GL1800.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    I've used it on mine since 2018 and no issues. I use the normal one on my helmet visor - I feel the non plastic one does a better job than the plastic suited product.
    Last edited by askitee; 06-16-2023 at 07:40 PM. Reason: typos
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I use a Saeng micro swirl edge. Supposed to cause a swirl in the air to lift it over your head. I use it to catch the rain that slides up the windscreen and keep it from going down the back side. Transfered it over from my GL1800.
    I've been looking at these for a while now... Does it really work, like it says, for rain rolling off the top of the shield?
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

I use it on my Spyder/KTM/helmet shields.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Run a thin 'finger-line' bead of Vaseline across the middle/top edge of the windshield but leave 1/2 an inch or so clear/untouched on either edge.

The water will still slide up the windshield, but if your bead is sufficiently thick (not wide tho!) it'll be stopped by the bead and run out towards the edge of the screen, where it'll run off the edge & hopefully blow backwards & out instead of into your face!

Great idea. I'll have to try that. Hopefully it won't just miss me and hit my passenger in her face.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

Great idea. I'll have to try that. Hopefully it won't just miss me and hit my passenger in her face.
    This Vaseline on the screen thing has worked quite well for me a number of times when I've been caught by an unexpected weather change. It's quick & easy to apply; it usually works pretty well no matter how heavy the rain, & if at first it doesn't work, I've just added a bit more height to the 'lip' until it does work!

The only drawbacks I've encountered are that when you're on a trip somewhere & you get caught in the rain today, but then it clears up tomorrow, you're left with this sticky ridge of Vaseline across the top of the screen, collecting dust & bugs etc, and if it gets hot enough (as it often does here! ) it'll start melting and running down & out to the sides of the screen as you ride along, leaving an interesting pattern of 'spider web-like' snail trails across your windscreen that you REALLY don't want to try to 'polish' off!! But I have been asked how I'd done the fantastic 'web-like' etching on the screen; even been offered money to do the same on other's bikes cos it looked so great! It was fresh then tho, hadn't yet had time to get too dirty & sticky!

Rubbing the now dirty & dusty Vaseline with a cloth (wet or dry! ) is a recipe for needing to replace the screen, cos the dirt/dust/bugs collected in the Vaseline convert it to a really efficient grinding paste, but definitely NOT a polishing paste!!

Ideally, to get it off cleanly without scratching your windscreen, you need to use ample quantities of very hot water poured over it until it all melts away. Only don't stop when it's only been washed off the screen itself, you hafta wash it all the way off the bike, off the tupperware below the screen, off the dash cowl, and off anywhere the hot water carrying the dissolved Vaseline runs as it washes off your bike!

But it IS a quick & easy solution to apply when/if you get caught out on a ryde when it starts raining and the run-off starts flying off the top of the screen into your face! And it's not really all that hard to clean off properly, you just need to remember NOT to try to wipe it off, but rather to just wash it off with a large jug or three of hot water!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2023 at 08:48 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Nope, we use the spray from F3 after replacing our windscreens. Funny thing is, the water droplets always seem to find their way into the vent in front of my mouth..

Spyder Garage

I don't like windshields, but I have used it on the plastic helmet face shields. Makes water slide right off them. If it doesn't damage a plastic helmet face shield, it should be OK on a windshield.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RiderDuke View Post
    I've been looking at these for a while now... Does it really work, like it says, for rain rolling off the top of the shield?
    Yes, or I wouldn't have transfered it from the GL1800 to the RTL. You just have to get used to the black strip around the shield. Water goes up, catches in the strip, gets blown to the edge, then blows back onto your shoulders.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c