Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone replaced the front 4" speakers on a 2020+ RT?

Has anyone replaced the front 4" speakers on a 2020+ RT?
    Just curious as to how intense it is and what all needs to be removed to get to the 2 screws that can't be seen when you take off the grills.

I spoke to a tech at the dealership and he made it sound like a major undertaking that would take hours.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-12-2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is not a HowTo: DIY thread... ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    Has anyone replaced the front 4" speakers on a 2020+ RT?
    Just curious as to how intense it is and what all needs to be removed to get to the 2 screws that can't be seen when you take off the grills.

I spoke to a tech at the dealership and he made it sound like a major undertaking that would take hours.
    A member here " Donnieshacks " is working on this issue ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Maybe ask Joel The Biker?
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The tech is right! If I'm remembering correctly, the minimum required is to remove: the windscreen assy, the glovebox cover & liner, both mirrors, part of the cowl screen (between & under the headlights), both "fang panels", speaker grills, and the ignition switch cover. If you can find a blow-up diagram online it may help.

IF you have an early 2020, as I, that console cover is one piece and a miserable sob to remove, especially unplugging the instrument panel without breaking the plastic, or drawing blood. IF you have a later model, that console cover splits into two pieces and is easier to remove. After you get that cover off, you can easily access the speakers.

It stinks!!! Good luck

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

I am about to do this. In prep, purchased the shop manual, and as stated above, you basically take half the front apart. The shop manual gives great detail on how to do it, the screws etc. It will be tedious, yet probably only a little more than taking the back half off like I did yesterday to install LED’s and the brake flasher. I am not expecting a dramatic change in sound, just looking for a little increase in quality. Hope this helps!
    2023 RT L S2S , Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jtejero View Post
    I am about to do this. In prep, purchased the shop manual, and as stated above, you basically take half the front apart. The shop manual gives great detail on how to do it, the screws etc. It will be tedious, yet probably only a little more than taking the back half off like I did yesterday to install LED’s and the brake flasher. I am not expecting a dramatic change in sound, just looking for a little increase in quality. Hope this helps!
    See if ...SLINGMODS ....posted a video .... they now sell a speaker swap kit .... waay too expensive ...look at " SonicElectronix for the same or better speakers .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have a 2019 RTL and gave up... at least for now. I had 4 projects going on at once (in the process of adjusting belt tension) but put the audio upgrade on hold. Finless Bob has a video on YouTube where he found a shortcut for the fronts. However, I think his bike was a 2014. I could have gone in through the side like him for the fronts, but you need the right dimensions for replacement speakers. 4" JBL were too small. 5.25" JBL were too big. So, while I could really see the space clearly, I'd have to do the whole rip the whole front console apart. There's a video of that process from a guy with a yellow Spyder. Of course, his is a 2014 as well. It's a great video but a really big job and I do not have the stomach to mess with the console. On the 2014, he unplugged it. On 2018 and later (I believe) you can't unplug it. It actually folds into the console. Pierre has a video where he replaces some dash panels, and you can see what I'm talking about.

Bottom line, nothing is impossible, but this upgrade will be very time consuming, costly, and somewhat risky. I'm getting more interested in a Bluetooth speaker of some kind, to mount just inside the windscreen on the inside. Seems like the easiest way to get good sound without a gigantic undertaking. If you do the research, you will find F3 and Ryker upgrades, and pre-2015 RTL Audio upgrades. There's a reason for this. It's not easy. I don't give up that easy on stuff, but this project is going to wait.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-13-2023 at 10:50 PM. Reason: ' 's ; cab.... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    See if ...SLINGMODS ....posted a video .... they now sell a speaker swap kit .... waay too expensive ...look at " SonicElectronix for the same or better speakers .... Mike
    They only have a video for an F3 installation. I thought about changing the speakers as well but I'm not about to tear my dash apart.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    They only have a video for an F3 installation. I thought about changing the speakers as well but I'm not about to tear my dash apart.
    I'm with you on this. Everything seems easy until you try it. Some things actually are. The audio upgrades on some spyders are just not easy at all. I'm still of the mindset that if it's possible at all, I'll find a way but for now, I have to shift gears towards other stuff.

Spyder Garage

OK ... Reviving this thread. Who has swapped out their OEM 2020/newer 4" RT speakers? Is the process an arm/leg? The Slingmods video has to be too easy I'm looking at some nicely efficient 4" Infinity speakers on Amazon. Thx for any input..

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    OK ... Reviving this thread. Who has swapped out their OEM 2020/newer 4" RT speakers? Is the process an arm/leg? The Slingmods video has to be too easy I'm looking at some nicely efficient 4" Infinity speakers on Amazon. Thx for any input...
    I'm surprised they are only 4" speakers, I think someone here swapped them for 5.25 " ..... like the RT had ....JMHO >>>> Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-27-2023 at 08:18 PM. Reason: her... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Looking to replace oem speakers on dash of 2020 Spyder. Below is info I received from SonicElectronix. I know the larger of the two speakers on both sides of front dash are 4 inches. Some of you may know the details needed to interpret other data given in the links pertaining to what other speakers might replace Spyder oem's:
    4-inch:
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...FC-1096PS.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-NVX-VSP4.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...18-ZXI-44.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...ne-S2-S40.html

2020 F3-T
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Looking to replace oem speakers on dash of 2020 Spyder. Below is info I received from SonicElectronix. I know the larger of the two speakers on both sides of front dash are 4 inches. Some of you may know the details needed to interpret other data given in the links pertaining to what other speakers might replace Spyder oem's:
    4-inch:
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...FC-1096PS.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-NVX-VSP4.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...18-ZXI-44.html
    https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...ne-S2-S40.html

2020 F3-T
    I've posted a ton of stuff about speakers .... here's the high points .... OEM's are junk ..... you MUST change ALL speakers ( or dis-connect the ones you don't ) ..... try and get either 2 ohm or 3 ohm models .... I haven't seen a speaker in the past 10 + years that WASN'T Waterproof,.... ( 0nly the waterproof ones will play UNDER WATER tho ) .... If at all possible try and put in a 5.25 " model .... I did for my 14 RT and it worked great .... don't bother with adding an AMP, I didn'\t and I WON'T play my radio / stereo at MAX volume - it isn't necessary .....good luck .... PS I've spent thousands of $ at Sonix-electronix they are great to deal with and have low prices .... If you want to hear mine send me a PM with your phone number ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Also, look at the efficiency ratings. A 90+ db speaker will play much louder than a speaker with a 85 db rating when measured equally. I'm mostly concerned about what it takes to disassemble a 2020+ RT to install the speakers.

Speakers range in efficiency or sensitivity from about 85 dB (very inefficient) up to 105 dB (very efficient). To compare, a speaker with an 85 dB efficiency rating takes twice the amplifier power to reach the same volume as a speaker with 88 dB efficiency.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue