Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are there "Run Flat" tires for Spyders?

Our Spyders, like all bikes except the Ural do not have spare tires. Getting a flat stops you dead on the road unless the cause of the flat is minor enough to allow you to make a roadside repair. I am wondering if any tire manufacturer makes a "run flat" tire that would work on a Spyder. I have a Mini which did not come with a spare, but was equipped with run flat tires and it seems to be something that would make sense for motorcycles as well, especially for three wheeled motorcycles which do not have to be able to lean in curves.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Our Spyders, like all bikes except the Ural do not have spare tires. Getting a flat stops you dead on the road unless the cause of the flat is minor enough to allow you to make a roadside repair. I am wondering if any tire manufacturer makes a "run flat" tire that would work on a Spyder. I have a Mini which did not come with a spare, but was equipped with run flat tires and it seems to be something that would make sense for motorcycles as well, especially for three wheeled motorcycles which do not have to be able to lean in curves.
    I looked into this a couple of years back and couldn't find any sizes that would fit .... There arn't many " run flat " makers , so the sizes are quite limited ..... Go on Tire Rack and see if they have any ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

There are Run-Flat tires that will work on the Spyder. However, this feature is accomplished by making the sidewalls stiff enough to support the weight of a full size car without any air. Car tires will already have a stiffer sidewall than the OEM Kenda's (which is a good and needful thing for our Spyders). Going to a Run-Flat tire with much stiffer sidewalls, considering the relatively light weight of a Spyder, is going to give you a harsh ride. You want some sidewall compliance in your tires to soak up the small to medium bumps.

Flats are uncommon on the Spyder. Especially with a good quality car tire. And there are alternatives like Ride-On or a plug kit. Not to mention the very limited tire choice and higher cost associated with Run-Flat tires.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 06-10-2023 at 09:29 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I own a Mini Cooper and I run with runflats. When I’m on cement roads that haven’t been smoothed out, it’s the most bumpy ride ever. Many Mini owners switch to normal tires because it’s a much smoother, less pounding ride. You really don’t want run flats on a Spyder.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I own a Mini Cooper and I run with runflats. When I’m on cement roads that haven’t been smoothed out, it’s the most bumpy ride ever. Many Mini owners switch to normal tires because it’s a much smoother, less pounding ride. You really don’t want run flats on a Spyder.
    Well said! With much less verbiage! I need to work on this!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There are Run-Flat tires that will work on the Spyder. However, this feature is accomplished by making the sidewalls stiff enough to support the weight of a full size car without any air. Car tires will already have a stiffer sidewall than the OEM Kenda's (which is a good and needful thing for our Spyders). Going to a Run-Flat tire with much stiffer sidewalls, considering the relatively light weight of a Spyder, is going to give you a harsh ride. You want some sidewall compliance in your tires to soak up the small to medium bumps.

Flats are uncommon on the Spyder. Especially with a good quality car tire. And there are alternatives like Ride-On or a plug kit. Not to mention the very limited tire choice and higher cost associated with Run-Flat tires.
    I just contacted " Tire Rack " and did a Chat ..... He couldn't or wouldn't or even figure out what I was asking for ...... So I'm not interested in them for the reasons stated .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I just contacted " Tire Rack " and did a Chat ..... He couldn't or wouldn't or even figure out what I was asking for ...... So I'm not interested in them for the reasons stated .... Mike
    I found some just a few weeks ago. I'll have to dig up that info and get back to you. I'd love to have someone try them. Though I don't think they will like them at all.

Spyder Garage

I found some just a few weeks ago. I'll have to dig up that info and get back to you. I'd love to have someone try them. Though I don't think they will like them at all.
    YEAH!!!! lets find a guinea pig spyder owner to try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Thanks, but the op Vito wants to know ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Not all tire shops will touch run flat tires. They are more difficult to mount on the rim. That and the already mentioned stiffer ride makes them a poor choice. IMO. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    YEAH!!!! lets find a guinea pig spyder owner to try them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEXzx-TINc

Spyder Garage

I think they would work fine for the right rider.

Fair weather only.

Always rides below the speed limit.

No fast starts or stops.

Their idea of the twisties is slowly searching a parking lot for a spot.

And the most desirable trait....only rides on glass smooth roads.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Thanks, but the op Vito wants to know ..... Mike
    Well, it doesn't matter. I thought Uniroyal made a 215/60R15 in a Run-Flat tire. But they don't. And I can't find anyone who makes anything we can use. The closest I can find is a 195/65R15. That isn't going to work for anything with fenders on it.

But then, if you're really serious about a Run-Flat tire. You can always take your fenders off. But you'll have to put one on the rear as well to keep the Nanny sane.

Spyder Garage

I have wondered about this also. They are big in the Goldwing community. I had one on my 1800.
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerdawg View Post
    I have wondered about this also. They are big in the Goldwing community. I had one on my 1800.
    I assume you are talking about Run-Flat tires made specifically for motorcycles. A much different animal than Run-Flat tires made specifically for cars. And usually heavier cars/trucks at that.

Spyder Garage

I had a BMW Z4 with run flats a few years ago. First thing I did was to replace them. They were horrible. And, the place where I ordered the new tires could not or would not remove the run flats. They said there was too great of a chance that damage would be done to my wheels when trying to remove those stiff tires...... I'm not a fan.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Another possibility are products that you put in your tire that Prevents Flats ..... someone will tell you product they used and if it works. I think LaMonster sells it ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Exactly. On our 2012 Mini Contryman All4, the ride was awful with the run flats. Contis have been mounted ever since those awful, stiff rocks died a grateful death. Can't imagine mounting them on the Spyders. Ron mentioned other options to avoid (or fix) flats if you're fearful.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-11-2023 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Sp & ' 's ;-)

Spyder daily driver - 2015 F3S magnesium - grocery getter
    BajaRon swaybar, Shad sidecases and Givi top case with Admore kits, adjustable brake rod, LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, FOBO TPMS, F4 Customs windscreen and bump skid
    Front Tires - 175/55R-15 Yokohama AVID S34FA SL
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Spyder touring buddy (White-Whale) - 2018 RTL pearlescent white - set up for touring and local dates with SWMBO.
    LaMonster LED headlights, Stebel Nautilus, Zumo 396, Spyder cuff, FOBO TPMS, driver adjustable backrest, rear view mirror LED turn signals, and Eastern Beaver PC-8R fuse box. Baja Ron Ultra Sway Bar on the way.

Front Tires - Stock Kendas
    Rear - General Altima RT45

Other motorcycle transport - 2010 Honda NT700VA Deauville and assorted vintage Japanese bikes

Spyder Garage

I also own a Mini Cooper with run flat tires (Hancook) and maybe its me, but I don't find the ride unduly harsh. I just assumed that the suspension on the Mini is not the greatest. To consider switching to regular tires would mean figuring out a place to put a spare tire, which would likely be in or on the back seat, which is certainly not ideal. I think I'll stick with the run flats. Having them on my Mini is what got me thinking about finding some for the Spyder, but based upon what others have said here, as well as my own failure to find any run flat tires in the sizes needed for my RT, I think I will just stick with the Kendas for now.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I assume you are talking about Run-Flat tires made specifically for motorcycles. A much different animal than Run-Flat tires made specifically for cars. And usually heavier cars/trucks at that.
    No, I was talking about cars tires. I ran my Wing on the darkside. Ran a Michelin Primacy Alpin.
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala/Chrome

Spyder Garage

I put over 80000 miles on run flat car tires on the rear of my GL1800. They ran smoother than MTs, but we ran the pressure much lower. ~3X the mileage per tire, equal handling on dry roads and better on wet or gravel in turns. Might be an option for the rear of an RT, but not sure of the difference in weight bias.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After reading through this thread, it appears that there might be some run-flats available, but personally, I will do whatever I can to AVOID them.

Had them for a few days on a used van that I bought. Fortunately, they were near the end of legal tread life, so I put some REAL tires on there. Smoother, quieter, better handling. Did not have the run-flats on there long enough for a gas mileage comparison, but I don't really care, I like the real tires MUCH better.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I'm another voted against the run flats. I have a BMW X3 with Pirelli run flats and they give a terrible ride. Presumably, because the sidewalls are so stiff. Next tire change, which is rapidly approaching, they're going away. I share Ron's opinion about a Spyder being too light for them to be completely safe.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Anyone install a run flat tire on their Spyder and how does it perform?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-28-2023 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Please read the Wikipedia article on run-flat tires and see if you still want one.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar