Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mandy, I'm in Sebring, where are you?

Spyder Garage

I saw the 10 year rule at least 20 years ago in the Heavy Truck field, think tractor trailers.

By law "any" manufacturer is only required to furnish parts and service for 10 years. It's not only BRP
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have seen the "10-year-rule" for MANY years, and in multiple brands.

Navydad said it quite well, but there is one point that I did not see listed. Yes, parts availability might be a factor, but I can still rather easily get parts for my 43-year-old Suzuki and my 23-year-old Goldwing, so I question that a bit. The one thing that Navydad did not mention was that bikes (especially) that are over 10 years old quite frequently have fasteners that are rusted in place. Some will begrudgingly allow themselves to be removed, but others will snap in two. Now, instead of doing a relatively simple valve cover removal for adjustment, the mechanic needs to do a rusty bolt extraction. The broken bolt is likely in a position that will require engine removal for easier access, and that requires even MORE rusty bolts to be removed from the exhaust and other parts. That can REALLY go against the flat-rate manual for the cost of repairs.

I have seen reports in other forums that a dealer actually took on the repair after looking at the older bike and being reminded that THEY had been working on it since it was new. Maybe you can ask the dealer for an exception to the 10-year-rule, pending an inspection of your vehicle?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have a friend in Salisbury who takes his 2012 RT SE5 to Honda Can-Am of Winston-Salem, actually in Clemmons, and they work on it.

I don't know about other dealers, but this place takes walk-ins first come first serve on Sat. If I get there before they open, they always get me out quick with things like oil, battery, brake fluid and tire changes
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-29-2023 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Just click on 'Reply with Quote' to do this ^^ Bryan ;-)

Spyder Garage

That's great for the riders in that area. Great information.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze