Spyder Garage

Default Can't find supplier of Kewlmetal Cold air intake or similar- Any help?

Maybe I'm mildly retarded, but I'm having a hard time finding the Kewlmetal cold air intake kit for my 2018 F3. Failing that, I'm trying to find something else similar. Not a fan of those big external snorkels, but I'd like to eliminate all that plastic (redacted) insulating all that heat on my engine.
    I do live in Arizona where the summer outside temperature often exceeds 150 degrees.

Thanks for the help!
    Brian
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2023 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brian10x View Post
    Maybe I'm mildly retarded, but I'm having a hard time finding the Kewlmetal cold air intake kit for my 2018 F3. Failing that, I'm trying to find something else similar. Not a fan of those big external snorkels, but I'd like to eliminate all that plastic (redacted) insulating all that heat on my engine.
    I do live in Arizona where the summer outside temperature often exceeds 150 degrees.

Thanks for the help!
    Brian
    Last I heard " Kewl Metal " went out of business more than 7 years ago ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Ahhh You would think someone would have picked up the slack. Nature abhors a vacuum. Then again, I find most of the old people that own Spyders aren't as into performance as I was hoping.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2023 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Rule 4

Spyder Garage

Ahhh You would think someone would have picked up the slack. Nature abhors a vacuum. Then again, I find most of the old people that own Spyders aren't as into performance as I was hoping.
    I made COLD AIR intakes on my 08 GS, my 2011 RSS, and my 2014 RT. ..... There's pics of the '14 in an album ...... A person is only as Old as they think they are ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-08-2023 at 05:54 PM. Reason: I pics... ;-)

Spyder Garage

I looked at your pictures, but I had a hard time figuring out what you did. I'd greatly appreciate a little more detailed explanation if its not a bother. I have an F3, which has the same engine, but I think only the bodywork differs. Sorry for the trouble, I'm mildly retarded.

Spyder Garage

I looked at your pictures, but I had a hard time figuring out what you did. I'd greatly appreciate a little more detailed explanation if its not a bother. I have an F3, which has the same engine, but I think only the bodywork differs. Sorry for the trouble, I'm mildly retarded.
    That pic is of my white 2014 RT .... the black projection is a cut down 3 in. metal propane tank ( the small kind ) it directs ambient air directly into the air box, via a flexible tube. ... the OEM plastic air intake is now completely gone .... my metal tube is connected where the OEM one was .... I can easily remove my Frunk ( and re-mount it ) because I made the flex connection a slip joint type.... hope this explains it ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-08-2023 at 11:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply Mr. Knight, I really appreciate that. I was also considering just doing the airbox modification stated for the Monster tune stage 2. Any idea what might be involved with that?
    Please type slowly, I'm not too bright. (redacted)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply Mr. Knight, I really appreciate that. I was also considering just doing the airbox modification stated for the Monster tune stage 2. Any idea what might be involved with that?
    Please type slowly, I'm not too bright. (redacted)
    IMHO the way Monster is doing this makes No sense to me .... the Air they are adding is quite limited, and it's going to be hotter than the ambient air .... Because it's heated from the engine air .... The OEM plastic snorkel is extremely restricted because of it's shape. That's why I got rid of it entirely ..... On my set-up the intake tube puts the incoming air directly on to air filter ( a K&N ) ........ Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike, I'll take your advice!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Read what PMK did to his air intake.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I'm not real smart. Could you send me a (redacted) link please? Thank you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1634782

Explore both sides of this link. Read the text carefully and study the pictures several times. This discussion involved experts so you gotta learn the lingo. Easy to do, just takes a bit of time and focus.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mr. Remington! I can see it's going to take a lot of work on my part, but you got me off to a great start!