Spyder Garage

Default Any suggestions about this Road noise? Is it Serious?

Experiencing whining or 'whirring' noise at highway speeds 40 - 60 mph. Sporadic but noticeable when occurring; and, not all the time. Does not seem to be related to throttle action except to get to mentioned speeds.
    Could drive belt be making the sporadic noise; tires w/~11k miles; certain road surface conditions; ??
    no other symptoms noticed like thumping, bumpiness, wobbles, etc. Any suggestions? Not a problem but noticeable and would like to head off anything serious if possible?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-07-2023 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2020 Spyder F3-T

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Experiencing whining or 'whirring' noise at highway speeds 40 - 60 mph. Sporadic but noticeable when occurring; and, not all the time. Does not seem to be related to throttle action except to get to mentioned speeds.
    Could drive belt be making the sporadic noise; tires w/~11k miles; certain road surface conditions; ??
    no other symptoms noticed like thumping, bumpiness, wobbles, etc. Any suggestions? Not a problem but noticeable and would like to head off anything serious if possible?
    Annnnnnnnnnnnd this has been going on for how long ????? ......Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the same noise , at a different speed, and I don’t KNOW FOR SURE but I think it is just belt harmonics. Different tension on the belt changes what speed is affected. Mine occurs in the 20 to 30 mph range, and no, I don’t know what the tension on my RTS is.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

It's the belt/pulley. There are several threads about this issue on here.
    With the new body style, the noise seemed to be noticed a lot more than before.

BRP did come out with a white pulley to correct this but I cant say whether it worked or not.

I got mine stopped by adjusting the belt tracking and tension.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 06-07-2023 at 04:23 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

i was having same sounds at about same speeds , and mine was Drive Belt Tension , it was way too tight , I tightened it too tight because I didn't have a gauge to know how tight it was. i bought a Krikit and started about 180 lbs best I remember , slowly loosened it little by little , as it slowly got better.... and mine is set on 150 I think now , very little to no sound at all.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

My 2015 RT got quieter after the pulley recall was completed. Belt tension and alignment are the same as before the recall so the new pulley does help.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Had that issue as well. Known issue that requires a sprocket replacement. I also added a belt tensioner since mine didn't come with one ('21 RT).
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

My 2020 Spyder RT sounded like the proverbial Banshee around 45-53mph. Late last year Can Am replaced the front sprocket, bolt, and belt as warranty. It helped a lot, but I'm conditioned to still hear it, so I play some tunes over my helmet comms.....Seriously, it's not an issue now.
    John B.
    Current ride: 2020 Spyder RT-s Petrol Metallic Blue dark with OEM top case