Spyder Garage

Default I took a Demo ride on a Harley trike - much prefer my RT!

I went with my son to a local HD dealer where demo rides were being offered. He wanted to try their “Adventure” bike, so I signed up for a ride as well, on a 2023 trike. Short story: I much prefer my RT.

The HD does give a more traditional-like motorcycle experience with the single wheel in front and traditional shifting of the 6-speed transmission. But it has several drawbacks in my opinion. Heat on my right leg from the big v-twin engine was severe and very uncomfortable after a few minutes. Turning effort was far more than the Spyder. Much, much noisier. High handlebars were okay at first, then tiring before 30 minutes was up.

No question in my mind that I made the right choice in getting a Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly state the reason for this thread! ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I test rode a HD trike and in simple terms it sucked, as a life long HD owner I was shocked HD could put out such ill handling garbage every turn felt like it was going to flip.

Maybe if I rode it at a normal pace it would have been acceptable, but normal is not in my vocabulary.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    I test rode a HD trike and in simple terms it sucked, as a life long HD owner I was shocked HD could put out such ill handling garbage every turn felt like it was going to flip.

Maybe if I rode it at a normal pace it would have been acceptable, but normal is not in my vocabulary.
    .... except for " stable at normal speed " .... to me any speed is normal as long as it remains on the road ...... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Owned a 2014 Tri-Glide now have a 2017 Spyder. Didn't keep the HD long it literally sucked.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-04-2023 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Did'nt... ;-)

Spyder Garage

That was also my experience in 2010 when the RT first came out. Test sat the HD trike, did not like the ergos. Started it up...did not like the noise and shaking. Checked out the pricing. They wanted MSRP PLUS a $4500 (adm) fee. Bye!..........

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Until HD redesigns the front end it remain an OVERPRICED POS TANK.

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do not forget that the initial 3 wheeled ATV's were cancelled due to the simple fact of Physics, the conventional Trike platform (one in front and two in the back like HD's) is inherently unstable in a turn. The various Spyders and other like 3 wheelers are called 'Reverse trikes' and they are a much more stable and safer platform!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2023 at 01:26 AM. Reason: 3 wheeled 3 wheelers....%-/
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Conventional trike riders will tell you they switched to 3 wheels because "it was the only way they could stay in the wind". They never talk about how fun they are to ride. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I went with my son to a local HD dealer where demo rides were being offered. He wanted to try their “Adventure” bike, so I signed up for a ride as well, on a 2023 trike. Short story: I much prefer my RT.

The HD does give a more traditional-like motorcycle experience with the single wheel in front and traditional shifting of the 6-speed transmission. But it has several drawbacks in my opinion. Heat on my right leg from the big v-twin engine was severe and very uncomfortable after a few minutes. Turning effort was far more than the Spyder. Much, much noisier. High handlebars were okay at first, then tiring before 30 minutes was up.

I also belong to www.hdforums.com, and they would beg to differ, LOL.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

i have owned a lot of bikes in my life , and in last 10 years I owned 5 Goldwing's in a row ... 1 of them was a Trike , I bearly rode it 600 miles and sold it . i never liked it at all and there is nothing like a Spyder on a 1 front wheel trike.
    2011 RTS Spyder

Spyder Garage

my F3L has something my 1500 vulcan classic never had........FUN FACTOR......
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

I put 40,000 miles on a Goldwing trike ,but did not really enjoy it like I have my Spyder. I always felt like the front end was going to just keep going straight in a turn. I go into Harley every year at demo time to ride a TriGlide. I am always disappointed at the end of the ride.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    my F3L has something my 1500 vulcan classic never had........FUN FACTOR......
    I had one of those. Very nice bike, but as you said, not as much fun as the F3L which I also have.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I put 40,000 miles on a Goldwing trike ,but did not really enjoy it like I have my Spyder. I always felt like the front end was going to just keep going straight in a turn. I go into Harley every year at demo time to ride a TriGlide. I am always disappointed at the end of the ride.
    That's the one thing I didn't like with the Gold Wing trikes is that the fairing doesn't move into the turn. The HD trike does but I've read it's not that comfortable and the steering can take a toll on long trips. I do like the look of it though.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

friend of mine is big harley guy, he had a HD trike for a yr or so, he sold it last yr. bought a used RT , loves the RT, trike was rough riding he said..
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Back in 2015 I test rode a HD trike and in 5 minutes I knew I didn't like it.

I still say if the Spyder was a HD Spyder there would be 3x as many on the road .
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

I took my wife to the local HD dealer's Demo Days and rode a Tri-Glide just to see how much had changed since 2010, the last time I tried one (and passed on it). For what it's worth, my solo ride is a 2022 Street Glide. I thought it was a big improvement over the first models although the power and handling was nowhere near as good as our F3T. I didn't find the steering effort much, if any different from the Spyder. My wife liked the ride and the seating (and she's had plenty of miles on Gold Wings, Voyagers, Ventures, Electra Glides and now the F3T) but I wouldn't buy one unless it was going to be my only ride. Our F3T would leave that Tri-Glide in the dust without even trying. The only thing the Tri-Glide had over our Spyder is luggage space. I wish BRP would make an F3 sport tourer with luggage capacity worthy of mention.
    Last edited by grumpyoldretiredcop; 06-16-2023 at 11:55 PM.
    2017 F3T , Black, black and more black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. I tested a HD trike and the best term I could come up with Agricultural.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White