Spyder Garage

Default I have spotted a 2020 RT LTD that might suit me - what do you think?

I have had my 2017 F3 for about 16 months now.

Not so sure the wife is over the moon with it. Not much room for her.
    We game off a GL1800 for touring which we rode for more than a decade.

I have 50 years or so on on bikes so I guess not a spring chicken any more.

I have spotted a 2020 RT LTD. Oho. That looks great. Got that paddle shift.
    It looks to have much more room for a pillion and extra storage available.

Its only done 1500km and totally mint.

I am 6-2 and thinking the rider foot position is further back and may be more suited for my beaten body.

Among other things my lower back may not be put under as much work on the RT as the F3.

Thinking this may be better suited.

But thinking there may be some things to be aware of with these.

Any thoughts from you folk riding the RT LTD's.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I switched from a 2019 RTL(old style) to a 2022 RTL(new style) 9 months ago. More room than the 2019, superior handling and cornering. Love it. If the 2020 is priced right and has been taken care of buy it you won't regret it. I don't understand why they handle so differently but the new body style RT just handles completely differently. You will love it. You are correct that the seating position is different between the F3 and the RT. The F3 is more feet forward and in my opinion harder on the back. The RT with your feet more under your body is much easier on the back.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Cheers.

Is this the latest shape your talking about? Thinking possibly it may possibly be an older one but 1st registered here in NZ in 2020.

2020 Can-Am RT-LTD 1940005035.jpg

1940005072.jpg
    ]
    1940005090.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-03-2023 at 04:50 PM.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

The photos you have are of the new body style - 2020+ RTL.

We have a 2014 RTS which I am not fond of but my BF likes it well enough to keep for himself.

I sold my 2016 F3L a couple of months ago because I purchased a new to me 2020 RTL. It takes some getting used to the different riding style but I am glad I mad the move as the RTL feels better to my body getting on and off. If I was riding the F3L - getting on / off 3 or 4 times per trip my body was done (knees and back) but not so much with the RTL. I added the Utopia drivers backrest and a sheepskin seat cover and now it is as comfortable as my recliner chair.

The one thing I miss is the agility and fun factor of the F3L ... but the RTL is a joy in its own way and my body thanks me.
    Love my Spyders
    2016 F3L Steel Black purchased 7/16/2016 Sold 3/11/2023 (22,500 mi)

2014 RTS Circuit Yellow purchased 3/2/2018

2020 RTL Petrol Blue purchased 1/27/2023

Girls on Spyders #3195

No more 2 wheels
    2020 RTL , Lamonster floor board riser Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Cheers + great.

Still getting my head around the changes.

CRIKEY....AN EARTHQUAKE...... JUST GAVE A RUMBLE AND A SHIVER.

Not sure if thats good or bad omen. haha.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I chose the 2021 RTL as it was the most similar thing for comfort to me as my Gold Wing trike. I like the more upright touring position and the F3L was too "cruiser" stylish with the feet forward. Plus, my model appears to lend more protection from the wind and rain - much like the big protective fairing on the Gold Wing. Storage is great, heated seats, grips, cruise control, power steering, no more holding the clutch in at stop lights... yes indeed I do like this vehicle.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

Indeed the Spyder RTL is the closest to a Gold Wing in the Can Am line. We are still working the teething pains out of our new-to-us 2020. First the infamous missing bolt in the ACS linkage and now an air leak at the check valve or elbow. Minor poop becomes major when it takes 2 hours to get the side panels off. Not yet sure if we will love it or hate it.
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Cheers.

Found this on the u-tube. The other side is the same apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrvY5jz57Y
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Cheers.

Found this on the u-tube. The other side is the same apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxrvY5jz57Y
    Yes, but that is only the painted panels…….you then have to remove the large black panels underneath before you can really get at wiring etc, Iso.

Regarding the ‘20+ RT, I moved from a ‘16 F3-L to a ‘21 RT-L. I loved the F3, but the body was a bit small for my 6’7” frame. Friends would see my helmet arriving way before the F3. Picture a camel on a bicycle . I soon fell in love with the RT. It is a larger body, has better element protection, great pillion accommodation and comfort (longer rear shock). It has LED headlights, looooong floorboards, and that electric screen is brilliant. Plus, I find it handles as well as my F3 did, although I am not one of those who rides at the limit. You can certainly tour in comfort on a well set up F3, but not at the same level of comfort as the new RT. Yet the performance is remarkably similar. Needless to say, I am very happy with the “upgrade”.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Just as an aside, this is roughly what you have to do to get the internal panels removed -

Remove the painted panels.
    Remove the passenger and drivers floorboards. No need to remove the brake pedal assembly.
    Remove the Rotax panel and rain splash guards at the floorboard
    Remove the tiny (#1 Phillips) screw pin right up front behind the sway bar….... it’s a bit of a pain.
    Remove the clips and attaching screws from the panel along with the bottom front saddle bag bolt (10mm bolt & nut…bit hard to get to on the right due to muffler). There are some push pins right down low that are easy to miss.
    Then just pull on the panel to get loose (left panel first as it is easier to get out than the right because of the brake pedal) and be careful down at the floorboard area as there is one piece that snaps around (but not right around) the tubing. Then just slide it out. With the right side, you have to manoeuvre it over the brake assembly, but it comes off fairly easily.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I'm retired and been turning nuts since the 70's. I also where at all possible have maintained and serviced all my own vehicles so its not really any bother.

But the info is good. Yes its all hidden away for sure.

As long as its not a major pain for oil changes and stuff im happy with that. The plugs / leads and other stuff, well I just suck it up.

I put the biggest F4 on my F3 and the Winglets. Visor up riding all day if I wanted.

What screen have you got on yours Peteoz.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

I am 6-2 and thinking the rider foot position is further back and may be more suited for my beaten body.

Among other things my lower back may not be put under as much work on the RT as the F3.

HI,

I just came from a 2014 RTS-SE6. I sat up more upright, my feet were more in-line position, the floor-boards were a bit longer, I was comfortable riding it (had 30,000 + miles on it). I did not have any lower back problems (had my 2014 RTS-SE6 for 9 years). My 2014 RTS-SE6 was not a Limited. It had the older style front.

I hope the above info helps.

Deanna
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-02-2023 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Caps & ' 's ;-)

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I'm retired and been turning nuts since the 70's. I also where at all possible have maintained and serviced all my own vehicles so its not really any bother.

But the info is good. Yes its all hidden away for sure.

As long as its not a major pain for oil changes and stuff im happy with that. The plugs / leads and other stuff, well I just suck it up.

I put the biggest F4 on my F3 and the Winglets. Visor up riding all day if I wanted.

What screen have you got on yours Peteoz.
    I have a bastardised F4 screen, Iso. I had it on my F3, it is a 25”. A bit of cutting holes here and there, and it works a treat as it is a few inches wider and taller than stock. It’s not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works, and can remain until it either cracks or I put the BRP screen back on for trade in. I was going to get a new F4 or 7jurock screen, but shipping charges out here are prohibitive at the moment.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I have a bastardised F4 screen, Iso. I had it on my F3, it is a 25”. A bit of cutting holes here and there, and it works a treat as it is a few inches wider and taller than stock. It’s not the prettiest thing in the world, but it works, and can remain until it either cracks or I put the BRP screen back on for trade in. I was going to get a new F4 or 7jurock screen, but shipping charges out here are prohibitive at the moment.

Pete

Man that so works for me.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

The bike's at a dealer and I looked online - I see they have dropped the price for about 8% so today, they may offer a good trade in price for my F3 to move this on. It's been there for a while...

Not that Spyders are huge sellers down here. Few about but that's it.

I showed Momma Bear the photos and she's onboard, if I want it.

I have yet to sort out the recall on the sprocket (I did the remove, clean, and lube not long after I picked it up myself) so will fang up to have a sticky beak, it's a pleasant 90-minute ride with a few sections of twisties. Hope to get up there in the near future.

So, anything else I should ask about these while I'm there? Brake bracket comes to mind.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2023 at 03:39 AM. Reason: 's, ' 's, + ;-)
    2017 F3 Ltd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I came off a 2005/2012 GW Conversion to a 2020 RTL, not one regret. More luggage room, wife is quite comfortable on the pillion, I think you and wife will be quite pleased with the 20 RTL. The arm rests do not swing wide enough but nothing's perfect.

Spyder Garage

We picked up our 2020 RTLtd in Feb of this year. Wife loves it, and she drove it well over 50% of the time on our first excursion to Kanab, UT from Phoenix, AZ.

We love the storage, the seating, the speaker system (phone connected via BT, playing Spotify in offline mode), the gas mileage (well over 37+ mpg on that trip).
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-03-2023 at 06:39 PM. Reason: swapped [ ]'s for ( )'s - forum software uses [ ] as Command delineators, and sometimes they produce odd results!
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

The bike's at a dealer and I looked online - I see they have dropped the price for about 8% so today, they may offer a good trade in price for my F3 to move this on. It's been there for a while...

Not that Spyders are huge sellers down here. Few about but that's it.

I showed Momma Bear the photos and she's onboard, if I want it.

I have yet to sort out the recall on the sprocket (I did the remove, clean, and lube not long after I picked it up myself) so will fang up to have a sticky beak, it's a pleasant 90-minute ride with a few sections of twisties. Hope to get up there in the near future.

So, anything else I should ask about these while I'm there? Brake bracket comes to mind.
    make certain that they have done the brake switch recall and that it's fitted with an new front pulley to eliminate the howl.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    make certain that they have done the brake switch recall and that it's fitted with an new front pulley to eliminate the howl.

Al in Kazoo
    Iso, just to add to Al’s very valid comment above, the newish (I.e. not the latest “recall” pulley) front pulley to eliminate Whistle/howl” that some of the ‘20 models experienced is pure white. You should be able to see it from underneath.

I would also verify that the airbag auto adjustment rod that sits on the side at the rear of the drivers seat has been connected. It doesn’t appear as common in the Antipodes, but many US dealers somehow miss connecting them at assembly, which makes the ride a bit harsh. I’ll see if I can find a photo.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 06-03-2023 at 05:18 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

So .. thanks for the reply's. Appreciate them.

So after doing some homework and stuff I rang the Dealer this morning. Whats the story on this?

Its an ex-demo one sold to a bloke who took for a few rides and decided its not for him.

Then. Yes we are selling it but on behalf of the owner. Not interested in any trades on this.

Thanks for that I said, saved me an 1.5 hr ride up to have a look.

Its a not so bad winters day down here, temp is about 10C/50F but sunny, thinking I will go for a ride and enjoy my F3.
    2017 F3 Ltd

Spyder Garage

So .. thanks for the reply's. Appreciate them.

So after doing some homework and stuff I rang the Dealer this morning. Whats the story on this?

Its an ex-demo one sold to a bloke who took for a few rides and decided its not for him.

Then. Yes we are selling it but on behalf of the owner. Not interested in any trades on this.

Thanks for that I said, saved me an 1.5 hr ride up to have a look.

Its a not so bad winters day down here, temp is about 10C/50F but sunny, thinking I will go for a ride and enjoy my F3.
    No trades? What sort of a dealer passes up the opportunity to buy a bike from you at less than wholesale to then sell it for more than wholesale? Money for jam……even if they did it independently of the RT sale…..how unusual……..great to see you saved yourself an unnecessary trip though.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

If you need more passenger room on the 2020 and up, I recently installed the passenger backrest from Ultimate Seats. It moves the passenger back a couple inches and leans back instead of upright to forward like the stock one. Made a big difference for my girlfriend and I on my '22.
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala/Chrome