Spyder Garage

Default 2018 RT Ltd won't hold anywhere NEAR 26L of gas - normal, or what?

Ok this is maybe a weird question. I bought my 2018 RTL brand spanking new and I have never been able to put NEAR to the 26L they say the spec are. I have waited as long as running out of gas once, and still wasnt able to put 26L in it. The spec shows 26L put 1gallon reserve (about 3.8L) . Does the reserve included in the calculation of the 26L?? or is it extra?? And if it is extra does it automatically turn on after the 26L is gone?? But like I said earlier , I never been able to put 26L in it. most I ever have was 22..

NOOB question I know..

Thanks in advance guys..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2023 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Lamonster Bumpskid
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Tricled LED Backup light
    Tricled LED Headlight
    Lordco LED Signal Light
    Jurock Windshield
    Sirius XM Satellite Radio

Spyder Garage

The largest amount I have put in my 2019 RTL is 6.19 gallons or 23.43 L and I didn't run it dry.

There is no reserve tank. There is however fuel left after it hits empty. I think the most I have pushed it was 40 miles and that was when I added the amount above. (memory)
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

The 26 litres in the 2014+ RT's & all F3's is the total volume of the gas tank all inclusive as calculated on the drawing board, with the 3.8 liters or so left after the gauge hits Empty kept there on purpose to stop you damaging the fuel pump & injector system by running it out of gas, cos those important components/systems use the gas left in your tank as both lubricant and coolant, and running out of gas means you have neither for those critical components!! Try to avoid doing that EVER!! Doing so WILL cause microscopic and cumulative damage that only gets worse over time!!

And that 'Reserve' capacity is a furphy, maybe put in there by the PR/Marketing mob just to fool the gullible masses into thinking that they're getting something a bit more like 'old school motorbikes' than they really are! The Spyder is just like your car - there's no Reserve, and you really should try to fill up at around a 1/4 of a tank, or as soon after the Low Fuel Light comes on as possible, without EVER running it empty! Only we all know that both the Fuel Gauges and the Low Fuel lights on our Spyders aren't anywhere near consistent or even as reliable or accurate as spit, so ALWAYS make it your practice to press/reset a trip meter whenever you fill up, and never go further than your worst ever range on a (23 litre ) tank of gas without considering a refuel ASAP!

So if you could absofreakinlutely completely fill the gas tank, you MIGHT manage to squeeze 26 litres into it, but you're not likely to ever achieve that in the normal course of events simply cos there will always be a need for some air space in there; plus a bit of expansion space for the gas as it warms & expands from its cooler 'in the ground' temp to the usually higher 'ambient temp'; and probably a bit of optimism in the calculation too, cos they most likely used the outside dimensions of the tank to work out its volume without taking into account any overlaps or folds, creases, etc in the metal during the manufacture of the tank! As a result of all that, if you DO ever manage to pump a measured 26 litres into your tank at any gas station, I'd suggest that you don't ever buy gas from that outlet again, cos their litres are most likely smaller than they really should be and they're ripping you off!

So unless you want to significantly and rapidly detract from your Spyder's performance & fuel economy, you probably should work on getting a MAXIMUM USABLE volume of gas in your tank of about 23 litres in the 2014 & up RT's & all F3's, cos all the rest of the available space/volume/capacity is kept there for some very important purposes! The 2013 & earlier RT's & all the GS's, RS's, RSS's, & ST's only had a usable volume of about 20 litres in their tanks.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-01-2023 at 01:50 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I really appreciate the info. Thank you very much. I will make sure I don't worry so much about how much I put in it. I'll make sure I fuel up at 1/4 tank.

Much appreciated..
    Lamonster Bumpskid
    BajaRon Swaybar
    Tricled LED Backup light
    Tricled LED Headlight
    Lordco LED Signal Light
    Jurock Windshield
    Sirius XM Satellite Radio

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
    I really appreciate the info. Thank you very much. I will make sure I don't worry so much about how much I put in it. I'll make sure I fuel up at 1/4 tank.

Much appreciated..
    Most 1330's can get about 200 miles on the odometer before requiring a fill up. I drive very conservative so most times my add fuel light has not even come on yet. It's also showing around a quarter of a tank. Each time I fill I usually set one of my trip meters to zero...so I know how many actual miles on the tank.

It sounds like you are getting your tank pretty full, so I wont give you that spiel. Enjoy your Spyder.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Most 1330's can get about 200 miles on the odometer before requiring a fill up. I drive very conservative so most times my add fuel light has not even come on yet. It's also showing around a quarter of a tank. Each time I fill I usually set one of my trip meters to zero...so I know how many actual miles on the tank.

It sounds like you are getting your tank pretty full, so I wont give you that spiel. Enjoy your Spyder.
    PS: I will save the miles to KM stuff for you to change.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Most people do not actually fill the gas tank. They quit when the nozzle clicks off. If you are patient, careful, and persistent. You can usually get at least a gallon, if not more, into the tank after the click. On long hauls, I will even rock the Spyder a bit to 'burp' the air out. If you do this, you need to get back on the road right away so you can use some fuel before it can heat up and expand too much. Don't do this and park or you may have fuel running into your evap canister (which I don't have, but that's another story).
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    PS: I will save the miles to KM stuff for you to change.
    I just did a fill of 320 kms which for all intents is 200 miles, and no fuel light either.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I just did a fill of 320 kms which for all intents is 200 miles, and no fuel light either.
    But how many litres did you put in after having ridden that far??
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    But how many litres did you put in after having ridden that far??
    18.99 litres at $2.049/l canadian dollars. I use premium with no corn

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Most people do not actually fill the gas tank. They quit when the nozzle clicks off. If you are patient, careful, and persistent. You can usually get at least a gallon, if not more, into the tank after the click. On long hauls, I will even rock the Spyder a bit to 'burp' the air out. If you do this, you need to get back on the road right away so you can use some fuel before it can heat up and expand too much. Don't do this and park or you may have fuel running into your evap canister (which I don't have, but that's another story).
    X's 5 .... I avg. 1.3 to 1.4 gal MORE after it clicks off ..... and I then fill to over-flow point .....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-06-2023 at 09:26 AM.