Spyder Garage

Default 2020 RTL ACS Loses Air Overnight - is this normal?

My 2020 RTL loses all air from the bag overnight, but the compressor puts it back in the morning. Is this considered normal?

UPDATE: With help from my wife and her stethoscope, we isolated the problem between the non-return valve and the elbow near it. Then we got rained out. More later.

FURTHER UPDATE: New elbow didn't do anything. By use of caps and plugs we were able to isolate the problem to the air bag or the line going to it. More parts ordered.

AND THE RESOLUTION: We had two leaks, one a cut in the air bag itself. The other was sneaky. The connection from the Schrader valve to the air block would leak, but only sometimes. Sometimes it was airtight and sometimes it would gush so badly you couldn't put air in the system even momentarily. I replaced the connector on the block end with one of the improved fittings from McMaster-Carr. Their part number 51875K61 for the straight male.
    Last edited by chipveres; 06-15-2023 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Added Info
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    My 2020 RTL loses all air from the bag overnight, but the compressor puts it back in the morning. Is this considered normal?
    No, not normal. You have a pretty bad leak somewhere in the system. If you have an shop or other air compressor you can add air thru the schrader valve under the seat and use a soap solution to check for leaks. Do not exceed 90 PSI on the system. Best done when everything is cool, not after a ride. If you can't find a leak it's most likely the check valve on the compressor.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    No, not normal. You have a pretty bad leak somewhere in the system. If you have an shop or other air compressor you can add air thru the schrader valve under the seat and use a soap solution to check for leaks. Do not exceed 90 PSI on the system. Best done when everything is cool, not after a ride. If you can't find a leak it's most likely the check valve on the compressor.
    ....let me add, check the Schrader valve STEM it may be loose ..... good luck ....Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Is replacing a 2011 RT Air Bag substantially the same for a 2020 RT?

I see a video about replacing the air bag on a 2011 Spyder RT. But my Spyder is a 2020. Is the procedure substantially the same or profoundly different?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2023 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    Chip
    2020 RTL
    "Stella by Starlight"
    UltraGard Full Cover, Front & Rear Cup Holders, Elka Stage 2 Rear Shock, TC & Dave Signal Button, Spyder Extras Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chipveres View Post
    I see a video about replacing the air bag on a 2011 Spyder RT. But my Spyder is a 2020. Is the procedure substantially the same or profoundly different?
    It's substantially the same.

There are no significant differences in the ACS itself, except that maybe your more recent model doesn't have a dash switch; but the major differences in the task will come back to tupperware removal, simply because there's been some changes there.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-06-2023 at 08:52 PM. Reason: I can see why, after thread merge to maintain continuity thru to fix... ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!