Spyder Garage

Default A picture is worth a thousand words.

Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Too true. A helmet saved my noggin in 1976 when I was forced off the road on a blind curve by a car coming right at me in my lane. Scary as hell. Got a fair amount of road rash and a pretty good headache, but I walked away. The bike, however, was another story. And of course, the car driver idiot didn't stop to see if he had killed me or not, but then he probably didn't give a s**t one way or the other.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

I hope that wasn't you, GK!?! I hope that whoever had that helmet on wasn't too badly injured otherwise!

In my experience attending accident scenes, sometimes the helmet can be mashed & yet everything else is virtually unmarked; other times the helmet might end up looking like that, but then you discover that the rest of the outfit was waaayyy worse, as was the person wearing said outfit!!

But the caption is certainly right about the point it's trying to get across - it doesn't really matter how good a rider you might think you are or how safe you think your Spyder or any other ride is, it's results like that that're behind the WHY we wear the protective gear!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I hope that wasn't you, GK!?! I hope that whoever had that helmet on wasn't too badly injured otherwise!

In my experience attending accident scenes, sometimes the helmet can be mashed & yet everything else is virtually unmarked; other times the helmet might end up looking like that, but then you discover that the rest of the outfit was waaayyy worse, as was the person wearing said outfit!!

But the caption is certainly right about the point it's trying to get across - it doesn't really matter how good a rider you might think you are or how safe you think your Spyder or any other ride is, it's results like that that're behind the WHY we wear the protective gear!
    Pete, thankfully that was NOT me! I don't know the back story on the rider but I hope he/she was not too badly injured.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Just a thought to consider. When I wrecked my BMW 1200 RT three years ago. I was wearing a quality helmet, textile jacket with armor and leather chaps. Helmet looked like the OP's helmet but I had no head injuries of any kind. No injuries on upper torso, other that five broken ribs, where protected by textile jacket. However, road rash under the leather chaps even though chaps were not torn. That convinced me that textile with armor was better than leather with no armor. My two cents worth.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-31-2023 at 04:37 PM. Reason: he... ;-)
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Yes! A picture is worth a thousand words.

Both Linda and I are believers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I know a full face has saved my life.
    Went down missing a kid. Elbow and head hit a curb at 50 mph.
    Arm didn't work for two years. Head there was no brain damage I swear.
    One saved the brother in law, when he was hit head on by a car.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I know a full face has saved my life.
    Went down missing a kid. Elbow and head hit a curb at 50 mph.
    Arm didn't work for two years. Head there was no brain damage I swear.
    One saved the brother in law, when he was hit head on by a car.

I always wear a full face helmet when riding. But, the helmet only protects your skull. The brain floats in fluid and can bounce into the impact side of the skull, and then if you are really unlucky it will bounce in the opposite direction and hit the skull, again. I know over the years there have been members on here who have had TBI's. It's always a good idea to be checked after any head injury, even if you seem to feel fine. I worked with a patient one time who was really unlucky, he was hit with a baseball bat a number of times; so he had coup-contrecoup injuries.