Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default Getting under the hood...

Greetings

My 2015 ST Ltd. has the 998 engine. (You know the expression "If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"? I wish I had the 1330 engine.)

I think it received minimal maintenance through its first two owners. I'm #3 and I am trying to do a better job.

So: want to replace plugs and wires. I'll order Baja Ron's. I'm finding my skill and patience working on bikes is declining a bit. Which makes me ask the Group for its collective Wisdom on a few questions:

• How difficult is it to get to the plugs and their wires? Zero to Five--

"Zero" being "One eye closed, one hand tied behind my back."

"Five" being "Buy aspirin by the pallet; get a prescription for tranquilizers or get two pallets of GOOD beer*; wish you had bought a Honda instead of CanAm; get a cuss-word thesaurus; consider climbing Everest instead of wrenching on a Spyder as a hobby."

• What body pieces MUST come off? What other body panels, if removed, make life easier?

• I hear the air box is a source of many loud cuss words: Yes? No? Any removal advice if "Yes"?

• Are there modifications that make this whole task easier for next time? Modifications that don't harm engine function, of course. Apart from removing all the body panels and riding without them!

My nearest dealer (AKA "stealer") is sketchy on repairs. A recent experience verified that. Sketchy at $120 USD per hour. I really don't want to take the bike to the dealer. I really can't afford sketchy.

Your thoughts and/or counsel, gentlemen and ladies?

* See https://www.irishdeath.com/
    Last edited by Columbia; 05-29-2023 at 03:19 PM.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)