Spyder Garage

Default Do I need to do any more about last year's pulley recall on my F3?

Last year I received a letter from BRP in regards to the pulley recall for the F3. I have a 2018 F3L. At the moment I contacted my dealer and he told me no parts were available yet but there was a procedure to check if everything was functional and safe to ride. I took it for a check and apparently everything was ok. Anyone know if that was it or if I need to go back now to replace parts. I understood the dealer would call me back if/when parts would be available. Now that riding season is well under way, I wonder if I need to get something done. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

J
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...............
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

If your Spyder was on the pulley recall list, then even if they did the 'check' bit last year, that was called 'an Interim repair process' and the necessary recall action isn't completed until they've REPLACED the pulley as per the quoted bit below! (my emphasis)

The final repair is to replace the front sprocket and the sprocket screw. The replacement procedure should take less than an hour.
    So yeah, you need to chase that up and get something done.... I wouldn't be too sure about going back to that dealer tho?! I do hope they didn't claim & report they'd done the 'final fix' (the 'final' part of that yet to be proven tho ) on your F3 after only doing the 'interim fix'??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 04:57 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbim View Post
    Last year I received a letter from BRP in regards to the pulley recall for the F3. I have a 2018 F3L. At the moment I contacted my dealer and he told me no parts were available yet but there was a procedure to check if everything was functional and safe to ride. I took it for a check and apparently everything was ok. Anyone know if that was it or if I need to go back now to replace parts. I understood the dealer would call me back if/when parts would be available. Now that riding season is well under way, I wonder if I need to get something done. Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks

J
    J call your dealer back and ask if they have a supply of new pulleys. If they do, make an actual appointment to have your pulley replaced. The 'if it isn't broken don't fix it' approach will leave you on the side of the road at the worst possible time.

Received the recall for the brake switch for my wife's 21 RT a few days before a 1500 mile trip. Hadn't had any problems so I figured I would get an appointment to have it replaced upon returning home. WRONG, went into limp home mode three times before arriving at our destination. Found a dealer with the parts and who would fix it for a traveler. Doesn't always work out so well.

Call your dealer and check with them about scheduling for repair.

Al in Kazoo
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-29-2023 at 08:21 PM. Reason: a a... + ;-)
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

THE NEW REPLACEMENT SPROCKET IS SILVER

I have a copy of the Warranty Bulletin #2019-10 rev 1 September29,2022
    Required parts, front sprocket kit, (includes washer)219800553 needed 1
    listed as screw 250001017 needed 1
    use loctite 609 or 603 torque to 111 lbf-ft +-4
    No cure time listed.

CHECK THE NUMBERS ON YOUR DEALER PAPERWORK!

Way too much misinformation on this issue since the start of the problem,
    We need everyone on the same page in the same book.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the help.
    2018 F3 Limited black, dark

Spyder Garage

I had my 2018 RT sprocket checked last Nov. It checked out as OK. At the time the dealer told me to call back around Mar/April to set up an appointment. At that time they would order the new sprocket nd call me when it came in. I called back in April and we made an appointment to bring my bike in n the 10th of May. It took maybe an hour and a half.

I think the initial inspection was just to check to see if there was any "red dust" to indicate wear on the sprocket.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I would get it done, or you may end up being very unhappy.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it...............
    This is a SAFETY RECALL!! Is that really what you want to tell him?
    T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    This is a SAFETY RECALL!! Is that really what you want to tell him?
    T.P.
    If the dealership has the parts to put the new pulley on, I might consider taking the spyder to them. If they are going to have some dealer mechanic that is not familiar with the new parts or how to change the pulleys, then I will not take the Spyder in so they can break or damage a pulley that is working perfectly well, and may work perfectly well for 50,000 more miles.

My own machine is included in the recall. So far, none of the dealers in hundreds of miles are even close to getting to my model year. I will not take it in for them to take a pulley off that is working fine, just to put some different locktite on it and put the same one back on.

Yeah, that is what I told him. He don't have to do what I say, but it is what I am doing myself. I been riding for about 60 years. Have had belts break while traveling, had chains come apart, if you ride one enough something will go wrong. If it is workin, and showing no signs of an eminent failure, I will keep riding it, and I am still riding it. I don't have to do what the manufacturer or the dealer says. I make my own choices, and I do not trust the dealers even as much as I trust my own work.

If the dealer has the parts and can fix it in a reasonable amount of time, then he should take it in, and get it changed. If the dealer is gonna take it apart to do some half ass measure which does not correct the problem and puts the same parts back on, with a fair chance they will screw something up and leave the machine sitting at the dealership for months, hell no I won't take mine in for that. It does happen, and it has happened, more than a little.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

I called my closest dealer in April. They did it the next week. They did a great job. My new front sprocket is black.
    Larry 2015 Spyder F3 SM6
    2015 F3 SM6 , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    I called my closest dealer in April. They did it the next week. They did a great job. My new front sprocket is black.
    LARRY, I have posed the correct sprocket recall information above. Check your numbers on your dealer paperwork.
    The replacement sprocket for the safety recall is SILVER not black.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
    Larry, I had my sprocket recall done in May,2023. The new sprocket is silver as stated above. The one they took off was the original sprocket that came on the Spyder and it was black. You did not get the newest sprocket put on your Spyder. I would take it back to that dealer and tell them to put the correct recall sprocket on the Spyder.
    Artie
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic

Spyder Garage

Stay in contact for the recall. My f3s waited 6 months for the part. When i got the call my part was in, i showed up
    the next day and waited. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind too and I believe this isn't widely known, BRP have wanted to set a deadline (Sept this year) on work being done and ceasing the recall. In Aus, they've been told "nope" by our relevant authorities, but we seem to have tighter consumer controls here.
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White